Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo adds NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These announcements are pretty similar to one another, so there aren't a lot of details to review:

The major question left unanswered in this and other media reports is whether this deal includes Polestar, or is it just Volvo-branded vehicles? I would assume it includes Polestar, but I'd like to see that confirmed.

I went looking and I couldn't find an official Volvo press release, but it's been reported on several reputable media sites.
Screenshot 2023-06-27 3.31.21 PM.png

Reactions: smogne41
With a 200 mile range, they need it.
The press reports I've seen indicate something like a 275-mile range, at least in the US. For instance, Car and Driver reports:
Car and Driver said:
No matter which powertrain you choose, you'll get the same 64.0-kWh battery pack that is said to offer up to 275 miles of driving per charge.
That said, I believe that the car will have two battery options in Europe, with the 64 kWh battery noted by C&D being the larger option. I don't know offhand what the range of that smaller battery will be.

For comparison, the current Model 3 offerings get 272-333 miles of range, according to the EPA, depending on the configuration. This makes the (US-spec) EX30 range-competitive with the RWD Model 3, but if you need more range, the Model 3 would obviously be a better (but much more expensive) choice.

Geely owns Volvo and Polestar
This looks like the first chinese auto company to embrace NACS

Yep, but of course their press release looks at it differently:

As part of Volvo Cars’ aim to be a fully electric car maker by 2030, the company is the first European car maker to sign an agreement with Tesla, giving current and future electric Volvo car drivers access to Tesla’s vast Supercharger network across the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Reactions: KJD
The Volvo EX90 looks like a very nice car. It would be really great to be able to supercharge when doing road trips. I was really tempted to make a reservation until I read this.

Your Volvo retailer will help you finalize your pricing and complete your paperwork in 2024, when deliveries are expected to begin.

Discover the Volvo EX90, our new fully electric 7-seater SUV | Volvo Cars

Hmm. Think I will wait a while for that reservation.