Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hosting Tesla (Super)Charger, the offer and expense.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree pretty strongly with this. Your average non-Tesla DC fast charger is a reliability nightmare. Parts are expensive and often delayed, labor to fix them is expensive, and network fees are significantly higher than Tesla's $0.01 per kWh.
I was thinking only a NACS, maybe CCS1 if there is extra capacity.

Most customers will likely be there for an hour.

I did suggest the port could be shut off at night.
(They also have a remote middle-of-nowhere location, suggested locating a 110v outside with timer, for the rare chance of some EV visiting.)

An hour+ dwell time is pretty good. A destination charger at 48 amps would add nearly 20% to my Model 3 battery. Depending on the parking lot layout and the number of customers per day, it might be worth looking into a 6-unit destination charging installation. If there's a wooden power pole already on the property, new electrical infrastructure could be added to that, with the charging units installed in close proximity, minimizing electrical and trenching work.

For service, 200-amp 240-volt on a 37.5 kVA transformer would be adequate. A more powerful option would be 400-amp 240-volt service on a 50 kVA transformer. The later would allow for more cars to charge simultaneously before the system starts derating power due to max load.

I don't have a solid idea of costs, but you could compare this to the destination charging installations @nwdiver has done in New Mexico. See thread: Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

Reactions: MontyFloyd
Costs for DC fast chargers are pretty high, going by what I've seen at the Out of Spec podcasts. They had a single DC fast charger donated to them they could have had hooked up for only $30,000 - and they were literally in a former electrical powerhouse for a Colorado utility. Plenty of power in the building and easy to run the power lines.. But they got swamped with offers of other fast chargers from other manufacturers and decided to do something a bit bigger with 3 or 4 chargers. That pushed the installation costs to about $45,000, but they were still taking bids. Anyway, they had a pretty good situation as they started with plenty of 3-phase power in their building. (Their idea is basically to use these chargers to learn more about the whole back end we never see).

In Arizona I follow the NEVI funding in a lost-cause hope of seeing some chargers open up rural areas of the southwest, particularly the huge Navajo reservation. If you read the guidelines, 80% of the cost of the installation is paid by the feds, 20% by the private owner of the business. NO state funds supplied, and while the installation is 80% paid, there are a bunch of ongoing expenses (snow removal, repairs, etc.). The NEVI docs for AZ make mention of disadvantaged communities and the fact they simply can't make a profit off the electricity sales, but they don't seem to mention offering state money to help out. More like subtly beg for other federal funds to cover more costs, I guess.

Anyway, for all the work and time put in so far, AZ has identified 21 spots where they want to see chargers added (all along major corridors that already are mostly covered with Superchargers). They (AZ) are soliciting bids, which seems a bit odd in that a state agency (DOT) is ramrodding this, but 'no state funding' is available for the installations These sites will no doubt be of great help to non-Teslas, but the earliest constructions - even permitting - is at least a year away. Then there will be a 2-year process of selecting a few more sites along a few more-rural corridors, but any construction there won't start until 2028.

I think it's going to be private companies (Tesla, EA, EVGo, Chargepoint and Blink) that will have to get the job done for the next 5 years. I do think the govt will have to pay for a bunch of rural fast chargers eventually.

I also wonder if we aren't all sort of making 10-year plans assuming battery charging tech doesn't evolve. Right now we think of ways to take advantage of a 20-40 minute delay on trips. That means charging at locations that provide something worth doing for 20-40 minutes, meaning shopping on the provider's end. But what happens if 5 years from now the common batteries put in EV's have 10-90% charging in 5 minutes AND 400 mile range? Kind of alters the whole model, because now you neither need to find something to do while charging, and the provider also can't count on you spending 20-40 minutes in their business. You can just charge up and go down the road to another business, like the gas model. A lot less Carls Jr meals. I have no idea what it does to costs to have a 5-minute charge session, but it has to lend itself to different businesses. (And enable non-home charging as well for all those apartment dwellers hoping for level 1 and 2 installations.)

Reactions: Olle
I think it's going to be private companies (Tesla, EA, EVGo, Chargepoint and Blink) that will have to get the job done for the next 5 years. I do think the govt will have to pay for a bunch of rural fast chargers eventually.
Not sure. There's a volume issue. The higher the overall volume, the higher the EV traffic. Might still need support, in the same way there's been funds for rural cellular that are then recovered in taxes, or simply would be absorbed into overall network costs, the same way cell networks need coverage for occasional use.

I also wonder if we aren't all sort of making 10-year plans assuming battery charging tech doesn't evolve. Right now we think of ways to take advantage of a 20-40 minute delay on trips. That means charging at locations that provide something worth doing for 20-40 minutes, meaning shopping on the provider's end. But what happens if 5 years from now the common batteries put in EV's have 10-90% charging in 5 minutes AND 400 mile range? Kind of alters the whole model, because now you neither need to find something to do while charging, and the provider also can't count on you spending 20-40 minutes in their business. You can just charge up and go down the road to another business, like the gas model. A lot less Carls Jr meals. I have no idea what it does to costs to have a 5-minute charge session, but it has to lend itself to different businesses. (And enable non-home charging as well for all those apartment dwellers hoping for level 1 and 2 installations.)

75kWh x 80% x 60min/hr / 5min = 720kW. (10% to 90%)
75kWh x 70% x 60min/hr / 5min = 630kW. (10% to 80%)

I don't see us going that high in light vehicles. Even if the battery can handle it, you're adding to hardware costs all the way from the distribution to the battery.
And, if you can make a battery that can take it, you can probably make a lower power battery for less.
Light vehicles are unlikely to need to output that much power, so you're adding cost only for getting the power in.

Never say never, but I think 10 minute charging is a more reasonable target. You're still likely at an 8:1 or better driving:charging ratio and the cost won't have to be as high.

Never say never, but I think 10 minute charging is a more reasonable target. You're still likely at an 8:1 or better driving:charging ratio and the cost won't have to be as high.
1711156839339.png