Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Aggressive Should Tesla Be with Variable Pricing to Manage Supercharger Congestion? (i.e. Should Tesla jack rates at chronically congested SCers?)

What Congestion Surcharge Should Tesla Implement, if any, to Reduce Demand at Busy Superchargers?

• Should NOT use a $ surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers and I have some form of FUSC.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Should NOT use a $ surcharge to shift demand away from congested SC'er.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Up to a 25% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers and I have some form of FUSC.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Up to a 25% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Up to a 50% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers and I have some form of FUSC.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to a 50% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Up to a 100% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers and I have some form of FUSC.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Up to a 100% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Up to a 200% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers and I have some form of FUSC.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to a 200% surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers.

• No limit to the surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers and I have some form of FUSC.

• No limit to the surcharge to shift demand away from congested SCers.

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pricing will not be able to fix a demand that is higher than the available stations.
Demand is not a constant. Demand is a function of price. The highest price I’ve seen for a L2 charger was in the parking lot of a credit union. During business hours, charging was free. The minute business hours ended, the price was $20/minute (not $0.20). Demand at the price of $20/minute for 6kw charger is essentially zero. They probably paid for the charger due to people who either didn’t check the price or planned to return before closing time and were delayed.

It’s not difficult to find a price at which the available chargers will be utilized without a long queue. There is such a price for any given time and charging location. Finding that price is not a difficult problem for AI. Humans can get pretty close just by setting time of day rates.