Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE to standardize NACS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NACS news is coming in a flood today! The SAE has announced that they plan to turn NACS into an official standard, on an "expedited timeframe." The press release is sparse on details, but this fits one more piece into the puzzle of what a future NACS-oriented charging environment in North America will look like.
Screenshot 2023-06-27 3.29.08 PM.png

Okay, so Stellantis will announce soon given the little hints they dropped. Hyundai probably worried about charge rates/curves on their 800V architecture, but willing I'm sure.

The big question is when the Germans will get on the train now.

That puts a nail in the coffin of the theory that this whole thing is just a ploy by Tesla to exert unilateral control over the North American charging infrastructure (which frankly was a silly theory in the first place). Great news.

This whole thing has snowballed even faster than I anticipated (I suspect there were a lot of back room negotiations taking place for months). I think this is a good preview for how fast the ICE era will come to an end, which I expect also to come faster than most people expect--whether it be grocery stores, convenience stores, hotels, etc. fully embracing hosting charging infrastructure, or a very hasty transition to EV models on the part of automakers who will not want to get left behind with only ICE vehicles in their offering. Granted, it's about 5 years later than I would have liked to see it, but once the bricks start to fall, they will fall fast.

That puts a nail in the coffin of the theory that this whole thing is just a ploy by Tesla to exert unilateral control over the North American charging infrastructure (which frankly was a silly theory in the first place). Great news.

This whole thing has snowballed even faster than I anticipated (I suspect there were a lot of back room negotiations taking place for months). I think this is a good preview for how fast the ICE era will come to an end, which I expect also to come faster than most people expect--whether it be grocery stores, convenience stores, hotels, etc. fully embracing hosting charging infrastructure, or a very hasty transition to EV models on the part of automakers who will not want to get left behind with only ICE vehicles in their offering. Granted, it's about 5 years later than I would have liked to see it, but once the bricks start to fall, they will fall fast.
really the only reason i can see for having an ICE car at this point is for towing or heavy loads which 98% of all american's don't do.

This whole thing has snowballed even faster than I anticipated (I suspect there were a lot of back room negotiations taking place for months).
I definitely agree about the back-room negotiations. In fact, that looked like a certainty to me when GM and Tesla announced a deal. Even with the Ford/Tesla deal to use as a model, I thought it was unlikely that a company like GM would rush into something, starting from scratch, in just two weeks. I can believe Rivian's deciding in less than two weeks after the GM deal, since Rivian's a startup. With Volvo and later, there's both a little more time since the Ford deal and three (now four) deals that are identical or close to it, at least in publicly-facing details, so quicker decisions are more plausible; but even then, ongoing low-level negotiations for months seem quite believable.
I think this is a good preview for how fast the ICE era will come to an end, which I expect also to come faster than most people expect--whether it be grocery stores, convenience stores, hotels, etc. fully embracing hosting charging infrastructure, or a very hasty transition to EV models on the part of automakers who will not want to get left behind with only ICE vehicles in their offering. Granted, it's about 5 years later than I would have liked to see it, but once the bricks start to fall, they will fall fast.
Battery manufacturing capacity may well slow EV adoption for quite a few years. To be sure, automakers and battery manufacturers are announcing partnerships left and right, and massive government loans might help speed things up, but as I understand it, battery manufacturing remains a finicky task that's difficult to scale. Tesla and Panasonic had problems getting Gigafactory Nevada up to speed, and Tesla's having problems bringing 4680 cell production up to the levels it wants. Thus, even if demand were to skyrocket tomorrow, the supply side of the equation would necessitate a more sedate transition. OTOH, perhaps companies will figure out how to scale battery production more quickly, so I could be wrong about that.

I read the SAE Press Release, and since I'm not a Standards guy, I am confused as to what they're saying they're going to do when going through the process to "standardize" the NACS connector...I noticed they used the phrase "the new SAE NACS connector", which is very interesting...What does this mean for the J1772 standard?

really the only reason i can see for having an ICE car at this point is for towing or heavy loads which 98% of all american's don't do.
I was talking to a guy at an auto show this weekend who said he routinely drove 300 miles a day, and sometimes up to 600. His business was buying classic cars for restoration and resale, so he has to drive around the area to inspect the cars before buying them. That's a lot of mileage. An EV with 300+ miles of range could handle the lower end of that range, or even a bit more, without too much trouble, especially in the summer; but driving 600 miles in the winter would likely require multiple DC fast charging stops even in the best modern EV.

Of course, this isn't a typical use case; and for somebody who really does need to drive this much on a daily basis, one of the really ultra-long-range EVs with very fast charging capacity would probably be OK, once enough charging infrastructure is in place that the driver can count on finding a decent restaurant with a fast charger for lunch. Such EVs are very expensive, though, so I imagine people like this will end up being late adopters.

I read the SAE Press Release, and since I'm not a Standards guy, I am confused as to what they're saying they're going to do when going through the process to "standardize" the NACS connector...
Despite the fact that NACS is an acronym for "North American Charging Standard," NACS is not a true standard by most definitions. Most standards are released by industry standards organizations, like SAE, IEEE, ISO, etc. They're created by multiple companies, universities, governments, and other interested bodies who come together to decide how things should be done. NACS, by contrast, was created by Tesla and for Tesla, with (AFAIK) no input from anybody else. It was, at best, a de facto standard, which is something that one company invents and others copy. SAE is simply saying that they'll adopt the NACS specification and release their own version, to be controlled by them. They'll probably start with Tesla's current specification and tweak a few things. They might expand the section on V2X charging, for instance, or add limitations or verbiage on acceptable voltages and amperages.
I noticed they used the phrase "the new SAE NACS connector", which is very interesting...
That'll be the new SAE version of NACS. Presumably it'll be very close to Tesla's version, since Tesla already has a huge installed base. They can't change the overall size of the adapter, for instance, or it'd become something completely new that would be incompatible with current Tesla vehicles and Superchargers, and that would defeat the whole purpose of the exercise, at least from the point of view of Ford, GM, Rivian, and Volvo -- giving their cars access to existing Superchargers. Remember, those companies have considerable sway with SAE, so those companies (plus Tesla and various others) will be steering the process so as to meet the overall industry needs.
What does this mean for the J1772 standard?
To quote Betelgeuse (the character from the movie, not the hot ball of gas), it's "dead, dead, deadski."

Well, maybe not quite as soon as CCS. J1772 has been used, AFAIK, by every plug-in hybrid ever sold in North America, so there's a significantly larger installed base of J1772 vehicles than of CCS vehicles. There's no Level 1 or Level 2 NACS equivalent to the Supercharger network to entice manufacturers to switch, either. (Yes, there are Tesla Wall Connectors at hotels and a few restaurants, but those aren't nearly as compelling as Superchargers are for BEVs.) Thus, it's not clear to me if legacy automakers will be switching their PHEVs to use NACS, or sticking with J1772. Thus, we could see J1772 linger for quite a while longer than CCS. OTOH, if legacy automakers do start using NACS on their PHEVs, then J1772 will fade in a few years, just as CCS will, but I'd expect it will linger longer because of the bigger installed base. Whatever the case, J1772 is on the path to extinction. If nothing else, eventually even PHEVs will go away and be replaced with BEVs.

For what it's worth: I work in telecom. Back in the day, there were all sorts of companies making fiber optic transmission line systems. Each of these companies would take a number, X, of DS3 or EC3 signals (around 45 Mb/s for each of these), multiplex them in some form, then sell the system with a, "We can do so-many-Gb/s-on-each-line!" advertising campaign.

No two companies used the value for X. Over time, a company might go out of business; or come up with a newer, bigger value for X; and nothing was compatible with anything else. In one notable incident, some South American country was stuck with an infrastructure using stuff from a particular manufacturer, leaving them with zilch when the manufacturer went out of business, no spare parts were available, and all those hundreds of millions of dollars of investment were wasted.

Into this morass waded Bellcore, a spin-off of Ma Bell that was funded, at the time, by the Bell Operating Companies. They did standards. They didn't manufacture anything. They did their homework, and came up with a method for multiplexing pretty much anything into a system called SONET (Synchronous Optical Networking) that was, itself, extensible to a ridiculous degree, using the same maintenance schemes for one and all. With this method in tow, they showed up at the ITU, which is run by governments (not much), actual Telcos, and manufacturers.

The Telcos, who actually spent money on gear, collectively fell in love with it, Put Their Foot Down, and Demanded that All New Gear Be SONET Compliant. (The EU made some slight variations on the SONET standard where some of the byte definitions and such are altered, named it SDH, but the data rates remained the same.)

Within a couple of years the old, horrible, every manufacturer with their own $RANDOM formats, disappeared.

SONET/SDH is still used these days, but it peters out around 10 Gb/s due to physics and a lack of strong FEC (Forward Error Correction); nowadays, Telco's are mainly using OTN and various flavors of GbE these days, with data rates getting up to 500 Gb/s per wavelength.

Point is: It's not the Standards Committees that make the Standards: It's the People With Money Who Do. So, if Tesla, Ford, GM, and what-all want NACS.. Well the people on the standards committees, who are employees of the people who buy the equipment (as well as representatives of those who make the equipment) are on the committee.

The only other thing that something like the SAE brings to the table (besides the publishing ability and so on) is that they do have the imprimatur of the Commerce Department of the U.S. Government and similar government agencies. This doesn't give the SAE the capability to, say, write laws: But it does calm down some of the stranger lawsuits.

I was talking to a guy at an auto show this weekend who said he routinely drove 300 miles a day, and sometimes up to 600. His business was buying classic cars for restoration and resale, so he has to drive around the area to inspect the cars before buying them. That's a lot of mileage. An EV with 300+ miles of range could handle the lower end of that range, or even a bit more, without too much trouble, especially in the summer; but driving 600 miles in the winter would likely require multiple DC fast charging stops even in the best modern EV.

Of course, this isn't a typical use case; and for somebody who really does need to drive this much on a daily basis, one of the really ultra-long-range EVs with very fast charging capacity would probably be OK, once enough charging infrastructure is in place that the driver can count on finding a decent restaurant with a fast charger for lunch. Such EVs are very expensive, though, so I imagine people like this will end up being late adopters.
How many times does this person stop when driving 300 miles? He would probably need to stop once to charge for that range and perhaps 3 times total for a 600 mile trip. I personally do 700 mile trip (one way so about 1400 mile round trip) once a quarter. In the winter I did need to charge more and it took about 2.5 hrs longer for a 11 hr normal trip. In the summer it took me perhaps an hour longer to drive the ev. I’m about to go on a 3k round trip next week. As for the cost, with the gov incentives the model 3 rwd is now 33k. So that’s on par or less than avg car price. I think this person could make it work also..given he is on the tesla network. I wouldn’t recommend ccs to anyone going on long road trips.

How many times does this person stop when driving 300 miles? He would probably need to stop once to charge for that range and perhaps 3 times total for a 600 mile trip. I personally do 700 mile trip (one way so about 1400 mile round trip) once a quarter. In the winter I did need to charge more and it took about 2.5 hrs longer for a 11 hr normal trip. In the summer it took me perhaps an hour longer to drive the ev. I’m about to go on a 3k round trip next week. As for the cost, with the gov incentives the model 3 rwd is now 33k. So that’s on par or less than avg car price. I think this person could make it work also..given he is on the tesla network. I wouldn’t recommend ccs to anyone going on long road trips.
Given what he said of his work, I'm sure he stops pretty frequently -- but that would be at people's homes, or wherever the classic car he was considering buying happened to be. Even in a future world where EVs are much more common, he probably couldn't get a lot of range by using a Level 2 EVSE at somebody's home. This isn't highway road-trip driving, but rather driving around to random locations around a city, state, or even a few states (I talked to the guy in Massachusetts, but I don't know where he was based -- but I'd expect him to be visiting multiple New England states on most days). I'm skeptical that a Model 3 RWD, with 272 miles of range, would work for him. Even on a 300-mile day in warmish weather, he'd need to Supercharge at least once, which would probably be do-able if a Supercharger was convenient; but for a 600-mile day in the winter (effectively cutting the range to 200 miles or less), that'd be an awkward experience at best. Plus which, although Supercharger (or non-Tesla DC fast charger) stations are much more common than they once were, they might not be convenient at the times and places when they'd be needed on at least some days. Remember also that we aren't talking about a regular route, so for this use case, different charging locations would be required each day.

To be sure, I think that an EV will probably work for this type of scenario in a few years; but this type of workload will require longer range than most people need and more common DC fast chargers. The higher-range EVs might be enough even today, but they're expensive; and I'd want to see more charging infrastructure before I recommend that somebody like the guy I talked to buy an EV. That's fine, though; the last I heard, EVs were at about 7% market share in the US, so we have a way to go before this guy has to figure out how to make an EV work, and by then the infrastructure will be much denser and batteries will be much cheaper. (OTOH, it'd be nice to move this type of driver into EVs ASAP; from a CO2 perspective, that type of use pumps out as much CO2 from one vehicle as ten average vehicles produce.)

Besides our M3, we have a Motorhome (gas, 8mpg) a wrangler and a grand Cherokee. We tow either the wrangler or grand Cherokee depending on the destination. I don’t see us getting a trailer or hauler to tow the M3 as we don’t have enough room to store the trailer.

M3 is now our primary DD. Wrangler with doors and top off for fun drives, and the GC serves as our “truck” or for hotel trips.

Or if you can't charge at home, or if you don't have the disposable income to afford an EV at current pricing (which most people cannot), or if the public charging infrastructure can't reliably support your driving needs where you are...

Not everybody makes lots of money and lives in urbanized southern California with lots of charging infrastructure. Where we live (and where our parents and siblings live), it's totally impractical to own any kind of EV if you can't charge at home, unless maybe you have a Tesla and live within a couple miles of the only local supercharger (the only one around for ~30-50 miles) and drive ICE style with a full session every few days. Nobody wants to do that! Otherwise the public charging infrastructure stinks, with a couple of L2 stations way out of the way at random businesses and maybe an always-broken 50kW Chademo/CCS station at the wally world. Heck, it's going to be a bit of a PITA when we visit the in-laws since (unlike at my parents' house) there isn't an easy way to put in a 14-50.

I think this is a good preview for how fast the ICE era will come to an end,
Making a plan, and executing that plan, are two different things. ICE will be around for quite a while yet, as people who can't afford to buy new cars hang on to older ones or buy used ones and some specialized applications can't feasibly transition to electric architecture. Even if every manufacturer switched 100% to EV production tomorrow it would take something on the order of 20 years to replace the in-service fleet of vehicles in the US.

I think the change is going to happen faster than the skeptics think, but slower than the EV fans want/expect. EVs will remain expensive for the forseeable medium-termfuture as production capacity builds up and it will take time before decent used ones (i.e. not clapped-out Leaves or old compliance cars) become available. And no, the super-short-range commuter EV with less than 100 miles range is not the answer for mass adoption. I know it's popular to assume "well most people only drive 35 miles a day on average so that's all you need" especially for people looking at secondhand/thirdhand vehicles--but that's an average, which implies there are many days where they drive more, and also ignores that people who will be looking for such a car may have longer daily commutes because they can't afford to live close to work. I'm thinking a highway range of 200-250 miles (so EPA range 250-300 ish?) is going to be the minimum, to give some overhead for cold weather, battery degradation, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve

I have done multiple 650 mile days, in winter, with my Model 3. It has not been an issue in the least.

I have done multiple 650 mile days, in winter, with my Model 3. It has not been an issue in the least.
Was that on a road trip, or driving 650 miles going from one site to another for work? They're two very different things. In the road-trip scenario, you can plan your stops appropriately so that you can rest, go to the bathroom, and eat while the car does a DC fast charge. I've done this myself, many times, and I agree that EV skeptics really over-state the problems of an EV road trip. In the work scenario I'm describing, the stops will be mostly at customer sites, where charging cannot be assumed. That means that charging will add wasted time to the day, which is likely to be quite unwelcome. I know that I wouldn't want to add an hour to even just some work days because of some new piece of equipment I'd have to use.

Reactions: gtae07
It amazes me to hear that anyone thinks this.

Where I live, nearly everybody under the age of 85 has the need to tow at least occasionally. Maybe 98% of driving isn't towing, but what with boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, firewood trailers, construction trailers, other work trailers, campers, "glampers" and so forth, it is just part of life. Maybe not daily, but often enough that I am hard pressed to think of anyone who doesn't tow something once in a while. Some people don't, sure. But many people don't drive as well.

EVs can do some of that. I certainly have towed with my MY. But it's range and weight limited, especially in winter.

I guess maybe you live somewhere where you don't see this. It's pretty evident where I live and anywhere I travel!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Despite the fact that NACS is an acronym for "North American Charging Standard," NACS is not a true standard by most definitions. Most standards are released by industry standards organizations, like SAE, IEEE, ISO, etc. They're created by multiple companies, universities, governments, and other interested bodies who come together to decide how things should be done. NACS, by contrast, was created by Tesla and for Tesla, with (AFAIK) no input from anybody else. It was, at best, a de facto standard, which is something that one company invents and others copy.

Granted, I'm not in the automotive industry, rather the electronics industry, but in my experience a large number of standards did originally develop out of a one-time proprietary format that became a de facto standard, and then was adopted by a recognized industry standards body (with industry participation--mostly interested companies, not so much academia and government). I think it's actually the exception that a standards committee is formed to set a standard from an entirely clean slate.

The main criticism I've seen of NACS is that people are afraid that Tesla (and specifically Elon) will be in control of it. They don't necessarily care about the workings of it or even that it came from Tesla originally, but rather that fear that Tesla will retain exclusive control over the standard. This effectively puts an end to that fear.

Granted, I'm not in the automotive industry, rather the electronics industry, but in my experience a large number of standards did originally develop out of a one-time proprietary format that became a de facto standard, and then was adopted by a recognized industry standards body (with industry participation--mostly interested companies, not so much academia and government). I think it's actually the exception that a standards committee is formed to set a standard from an entirely clean slate.

The main criticism I've seen of NACS is that people are afraid that Tesla (and specifically Elon) will be in control of it. They don't necessarily care about the workings of it or even that it came from Tesla originally, but rather that fear that Tesla will retain exclusive control over the standard. This effectively puts an end to that fear.
Based on your knowledge, what do you expect this standardization will mean for us Tesla owners? Will there be any changes for our day-to-day operations?

I did see an article that mentioned 1000 kW charging as part of the effort which would be great! But I assume that would be an optional implementation like USB-3 vs 4 speeds.

Last edited:
Making a plan, and executing that plan, are two different things. ICE will be around for quite a while yet, as people who can't afford to buy new cars hang on to older ones or buy used ones and some specialized applications can't feasibly transition to electric architecture. Even if every manufacturer switched 100% to EV production tomorrow it would take something on the order of 20 years to replace the in-service fleet of vehicles in the US.
I'm not saying that there won't be ICE vehicles around for another 20 years or so.

I am saying that new cars being offered for sale will quickly shift from being primarily ICE to primarily EV.

For sure the used car market will have plenty of ICE vehicles for the next 20 years (and they will be plenty cheap as they will no longer be the preferable type of vehicle).