Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unicorns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This discussion should probably have the following distinction:

Unicorn = rare and highly desirable combination of options

vs.

Rare combo of options that were not necessarily desirable or valued (e.g, Aero wheels, executive rear seats; black roof, MS 40).

Using that definition, I think unicorn candidates are:

1) P85+ with AP1
2) P85D+ with Ludicrous and AP1

I am personally a big fan of the Signature Red P85 with White interior as well, but I don't think others find that as desirable as I do.

I'm sure there are other candidates for desirable unicorns.

I’m actually about to have my dark ash trim changed to carbon fiber (it’s a long story). Given I have the multipattern textile seats, I’ll have one of very few cars out there with textile seats and carbon fiber trim.

Yeah and I am going to convert my carbon fiber to black ash, but only with the graphite trim.Too bad the timing wasn't better.

...Unicorn = rare and highly desirable combination of options... I think unicorn candidates are:

1) P85+ with AP1
2) P85D+ with Ludicrous and AP1...

If we are adding international options to this list I would think that the most desirable unicorn for the money is the S75D with BTX8 (400v P85) battery. These were never released in the US.

Know a guy on the big island with a 40. He is happy with it.
Would you make an introduction please? Would love a 40 performance runlog for the performance metrics.

Might be difficult to spot those, because I don't think there were any 40 badges made (at least I've never seen one). OK, my son is sitting next to me as I'm writing this and we have a difference of opinion...he thinks we might have seen a badged S40 somewhere, but I don't remember this. Could be I'm getting senile. :oops:

Bruce.

I had an S40 and there are still a few here in Hawaii. They never had a badge.

Reactions: P85_DA
This discussion should probably have the following distinction:
Unicorn = rare and highly desirable combination of options

Desirable is always relative "to whom". You might be a fan of pano roof, others desire a solid roof more. Some desire rear jump seats, others pay to remove it. Every car out there, was desirable to someone since it was ordered in that configuration (as it is extremely unlikely someone would spend $100K ordering options they hate) - especially true per-2017 where almost every option was available à la carte.

That doesn't have Autopilot. The "unicorns" we're talking about are the few that were built with AP1 after 9/17/2014, at the tail end of the RWD P85/P85+ models' existence. You couldn't order a new P85 or P85+ after 11/5/2014 when they were discontinued in favor of the dual-motor P85D. The green and brown paint options were dropped at the same time.

I think the green was still available at that time. I have a green P85D+ and I know the color was dropped shortly after the P85D was launched, but I think there was a month or so where you could still order green cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I think the green was still available at that time. I have a green P85D+ and I know the color was dropped shortly after the P85D was launched, but I think there was a month or so where you could still order green cars.
That's correct. The P85D announcement was Oct 9 2014. The P85/P85+ (along with green and brown paint) were discontinued Nov 5 2014. So sometime in those 4 weeks, you could have ordered a green P85D(+). :)

Reactions: Eclectic
P85DL+ :) there was short window where + suspension was put on car ..and only original owners where able to get the Luda upgrade ;)
Also a very short window in there where they came with Recaro sports seats front and back. The second row was quickly changed back to standard seats after the first month or two of production due to supplier problems.

I have one of those P85DL+ with Recaro front and back and I'm never letting go of it. :)

• Love
Reactions: Fiver and P85_DA
Were these the "Performance Seats"?

Bruce.
Before the dual motor cars they had textile seats or "performance" seats. Then after the AP1/D announcement they vastly improved the seats by using Recaro brand fronts (and for a hot minute, rears). The Recaro seats were the first branded as "Next Generation Seats". Later when Tesla moved the seat production in-house they changed the name again to whatever they are called now.

/edit I didn't realize it at first, but the CPO car I linked to with Next Generation seats also has Executive rear seats. They aren't listed, but they are shown in the pictures.

Desirable is always relative "to whom"

Well, that's why I wrote "highly desirable," but if it's necessary to be more specific, then my suggested distinction would be that a "unicorn" refer to a rare set of options that have higher demand or perceived value among the prospective buyer/fan/owner community. Other rare combinations would just be that - rare, but not necessarily valued "unicorn" status. There are plenty of relatively rare things in this world that are not necessarily valued or desired. The "unicorn" term carries a connotation of rare beauty and value.

Anyway, these are just my 2 cents. The community as a whole will adopt whatever terms are most appropriate.

Regardless, from the responses, it's pretty clear the P85 with AP1; P85+ with AP1; and P85D+ with Ludicrous have higher perceived value than other rare combinations.

I'm finding it quite interesting to hear about other combinations people are mentioning, such as the P85D with Recaro seats. I'd personally be quite interested in purchasing such a rare beauty one day.

Reactions: P85_DA
Regardless, from the responses, it's pretty clear the P85 with AP1; P85+ with AP1; and P85D+ with Ludicrous have higher perceived value than other rare combinations.

I'm finding it quite interesting to hear about other combinations people are mentioning, such as the P85D with Recaro seats. I'd personally be quite interested in purchasing such a rare beauty one day.

...I turned my MC Red 0
P85DL+ that has the next gen recaro Seats hopefully will be on CPO site soon :)