Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid - will the 10.5” wide 19” rear wheels fit on the front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to figure out if anyone has done this already or not and if so, what the max width tire size could be.

The car is a 23’ plaid on lowering links

I’d like to have a squared set of 19” wheels and was planning on using (4) of the OEM 19x10.5”W plaid tempest wheels as the squared setup. My question is, what’s the widest front tire I can install on the front wheels with the 10.5” wide OEM rim with +45mm offset?

Has anyone done this? And if so, how did it work out?

thanks!

FYI I did it. Here’s what’s involved:

5mm front spacer (max needed before going with longer wheel studs)

I ended up going with a 305/35/19 Michelin pilot cup 2 tire because I had a set laying around. From some autox events I did. In order to fit this tire on the OEM 19x10.5s I did need to go with extended wheel studs and a 9mm spacer. No rubbing on full lock on low suspension setting and I’m on lowering links (don’t remember the level I’m set at but I’d say 1” drop all around). Rears fit no problem and with no need for a spacer.

The 19x10.5 Michelin pilot cups change the way the car handles, it's a lot more planted now. I was running around 36/38lbs in the tires and it felt solid to me. A lot more cornering confidence and absolutely no understeer now.

I would absolutely recommend a hubcentric spacer, even for the small 5mm one. These cars need to have the wheel load on the hub vs just the wheel studs.

Upvote 0

I ended up going with a 305/35/19 Michelin pilot cup 2 tire because I had a set laying around. From some autox events I did. In order to fit this tire on the OEM 19x10.5s I did need to go with extended wheel studs and a 9mm spacer. No rubbing on full lock on low suspension setting and I’m on lowering links (don’t remember the level I’m set at but I’d say 1” drop all around). Rears fit no problem and with no need for a spacer.

The 19x10.5 Michelin pilot cups change the way the car handles, it's a lot more planted now. I was running around 36/38lbs in the tires and it felt solid to me. A lot more cornering confidence and absolutely no understeer now.

I would absolutely recommend a hubcentric spacer, even for the small 5mm one. These cars need to have the wheel load on the hub vs just the wheel studs.
Can’t you run the Bonoss spacers with the built in studs vs running longer studs

Upvote 0

You are running 305 in the front? Wow. How is steering feel?

Would 305s work with a 5mm spacer or do you need the 9mm?

Upvote 0
Also if you’re auto crossing sounds like you know handling. Did lowering improve the handling without adjusting the dampening or did you do it primarily for cosmetic reasons?
I haven’t autoX’d the plaid, I have a c6z that I use for those events. I run the 305s on the fronts for those events. I think the amount that it’s lowered is minimum, maybe a 1” drop. I don’t notice a ton of handling differences between the medium height and low height, personally. I think it does make the car look better though. The steering feel with 305s is noticeably heavier, but it’s not bad. It’s a lot more planted in corners and sweeping turns/off ramps vs the 255 stock front tires. They case the car to understeer easily if you’re not careful.

Upvote 0
I haven’t autoX’d the plaid, I have a c6z that I use for those events. I run the 305s on the fronts for those events. I think the amount that it’s lowered is minimum, maybe a 1” drop. I don’t notice a ton of handling differences between the medium height and low height, personally. I think it does make the car look better though. The steering feel with 305s is noticeably heavier, but it’s not bad. It’s a lot more planted in corners and sweeping turns/off ramps vs the 255 stock front tires. They case the car to understeer easily if you’re not careful.

Appreciate the feedback. Cant believe the c6z06 fits a 305 front. I’m used to the mid engine cars with 235-245 fronts and cramped toe boxes.

Any recommendations on where to pick up a 2nd set of rear rims? Direct from Tesla?

Upvote 0
Oh and do you need at least a 9mm spacer to fit 305 or will a 5mm work? Thanks for your help… saves me so much time vs. trial and error engineering this myself for the first time.

Have you looked into changing alignment settings at all? If I can get this car to track straight at speed without wandering all over and brake better- both pedal feel and distance- it will be the ultimate street weapon.

Upvote 0
Oh and do you need at least a 9mm spacer to fit 305 or will a 5mm work? Thanks for your help… saves me so much time vs. trial and error engineering this myself for the first time.

Have you looked into changing alignment settings at all? If I can get this car to track straight at speed without wandering all over and brake better- both pedal feel and distance- it will be the ultimate street weapon.
You sound like me! lol

Believe it or not, we can get 315s up front on the corvettes.

I bought an extra set used of rear wheels from eBay, and found a local pair of rear wheels and tires for sale that the owner was willing to separate. I ended up buying (4) 19x10.5 wheels because I had OEM 21s to start.

In order to squeeze 305s yes you need the 9mm spacer, otherwise they will rub the front upright knuckle. 285s will clear with a 5mm spacer.

Upvote 0