Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 MYP Front Tire Width Maximum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get new wheels and tires for autocross and am struggling to find a 10.5-inch wide 19-inch wheel that has the load rating for the Y but think I found them (specs below). I also want to use the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tires as it is the defacto autocross tire it seems. There is only one that will work for the load rating required of the Y (specs below).

I am wondering if anyone has fit the following to their Y and had it clear in the front:
Wheel: 19x10.5 +30
Tire: 285/35R19 103W

I am going to work with a buddy to toss the car up on a lift and see if we can make any determination, but I'd like to see it in practice/out there already as the wheels will be nonreturnable.

Thanks!

We ran this setup on our MYP but it required additional camber to clear the fenders:

Volk Racing TE37 20x11+30
Pirelli Super Trofeo R 285/35R20

The size you're looking at (285/35R19) is over 1 inch shorter than the stock tire diameter. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I understand if you are limited in tire selection and trying to make the best of it. I would aim for 28 inches overall diameter and try to get close to it!

Note: Those Volks (despite being made for a GTR) were not up to the task and they suffered some bends from hitting curbs on track.

Reactions: Packerfans1
We ran this setup on our MYP but it required additional camber to clear the fenders:

Volk Racing TE37 20x11+30
Pirelli Super Trofeo R 285/35R20

The size you're looking at (285/35R19) is over 1 inch shorter than the stock tire diameter. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I understand if you are limited in tire selection and trying to make the best of it. I would aim for 28 inches overall diameter and try to get close to it!

Note: Those Volks (despite being made for a GTR) were not up to the task and they suffered some bends from hitting curbs on track.

Hey! I just ordered (and even talked to you via e-mail but didn't want to bother you further) MPP adjustable upper control arms. Will the 3deg of camber they offer fit the bill? No fitment issues with the knuckle or anything on the front? ESR wheels told me a 285-width tire on a 10.5in-wheel sounded too aggressive for the front.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Actually, I do see they make a 20in RE-71RS with a 100W rating. 285/35R20. So this is what I should target instead? Weight will likely go up, but the overall diameter is more important in this instance? Everyone in the autocross community says to go smaller with the wheels and urged me to even go down to 18in.

Actually, I do see they make a 20in RE-71RS with a 100W rating. 285/35R20. So this is what I should target instead? Weight will likely go up, but the overall diameter is more important in this instance?
The FUCAs will provide the camber needed to clear the fenders. I think the clearance issue you could run into with 19x10.5+30 will be the barrel to the front spindle. The actual width of the wheel is conservative compared to what we were running!

I felt that the 20-inch wheels still looked a bit small on our car so I don't think that going with 20-inch is overdoing it with diameter.

P.S. I am pretty sure I know who you are now ;)

The FUCAs will provide the camber needed to clear the fenders. I think the clearance issue you could run into with 19x10.5+30 will be the barrel to the front spindle. The actual width of the wheel is conservative compared to what we were running!

I felt that the 20-inch wheels still looked a bit small on our car so I don't think that going with 20-inch is overdoing it with diameter.

P.S. I am pretty sure I know who you are now ;)

So I'm now going with the following:

Wheel: Aodhan AFF7 20x10.5 +35
Tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS (285/35R20)

Reactions: watt?