Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire and wheel options for 2022 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know some of my questions have been answered before but I couldnt find everything I am deliberating compared to each other, so please go easy on me.
So I have a 2022 MYP with uberturbine wheels. I am thinking of getting new tires and got deep into the options and got myself confused.
My objectives are to get a bit softer ride and keep increase the mileage, hence based on all the posts I have read so far I have come up with following options -

Option 1 - Keep 21" wheels but get the 275 35 R21 for front and 295 35 R21 tires for rear, some of the people who did this say they experienced a better ride with wider tires than the factory ones which were 255 35 R21 in front and 275 35 R21 in the rear.
Option 2 - Keep the 21" wheels but get the 255 40 R21 in front and 275 40 R21 in the rear, thus giving bigger sidewall and hopefully better ride.
Option 3 - switch to 19" wheels and go for same tires on all 4 wheels, which would be either 255 45 R19
Option 4 - Switch to 19" wheels and go for 275 45 R19 all 4 wheels.

what would you choose for a softer ride with similar efficiency as I am getting with 21" uberturbines?

Finally, I have read many posts where people put 19" gemini wheels on MYP, but on Tesla shop it specifically says "NOTE: THIS PACKAGE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MODEL Y PERFORMANCE DUAL MOTOR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE CONFIGURED WITH 21" PERFORMANCE WHEELS." when trying to buy 19" gemini wheels, what gives?

Thank you in advance.

I just put 19" Martian MW03 wheels and 255/45R19 Hankook Evo iON AS SUV tires on my 2022 Performance Model Y a few days ago. These are the same tires going on Highland Model 3 and are designed for EV vehicles. Road noise rumble decreased greatly. Going over sudden bumps damped slightly due to more sidewall but most of this situation is handled by suspension. This setup also gives about 30 miles more driving range. I got this setup because I'm planning a few road trips and wanted more range, quieter/comfy ride and more protection from blowouts due to potholes. Also my wife keeps curbing the 21" wheels so this offers some wheel protection.

I kept my 21" wheels for now and might put tires with more sidewall on them to make the setup look better, offer some curb rash protection and improve ride. However, it has been reported tires with more sidewall will reduce efficiency at lower speeds but help efficiency at higher speeds (highway) and odometer will be less correct as speeds increase. This you already know as it is mentioned in that thread.

Thank you for the reply. do you have any pictures of the setup? Also going for 255 tires on all 4 wheels, do you notice change in braking, acceleration and turning performance compared to the wider tires that the MYP came with?

Also adding another question, what offset should I be looking for if I am going for 19 inch wheels? I dont want the wheels jutting out of the wheel well for aerodynamic reasons. so far the T sportsline and martian wheels both seem to have 35mm offset, will that keep wheels flush with the body of the car?

Thank you for the reply. do you have any pictures of the setup? Also going for 255 tires on all 4 wheels, do you notice change in braking, acceleration and turning performance compared to the wider tires that the MYP came with?
I've not done any performance testing of the Hankook Evo iON AS tires. I was more interested in comfort. I figure they can't suck too bad if they are going on all the Highland Model 3's and we can assume they might end up on refreshed MYLR and slower trims.
IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

I sold the 21 and went with 18" wheels from EV Fast. They fit over the larger performance brake calipers of the Model Y P. They come with aero covers. I installed 235/60 18 tires. They are a bit larger than the original tires (4.7% larger circumference) but fit just fine in the wheel well. Definitely safer over potholes. The tires also goes out further than the rim meaning you are less likely to get curb rash. More comfort and better range are a plus as well.

I sold the 21 and went with 18" wheels from EV Fast. They fit over the larger performance brake calipers of the Model Y P. They come with aero covers. I installed 235/60 18 tires. They are a bit larger than the original tires (4.7% larger circumference) but fit just fine in the wheel well. Definitely safer over potholes. The tires also goes out further than the rim meaning you are less likely to get curb rash. More comfort and better range are a plus as well.

that sounds like a good option too, though I dont want to go for 235 tires, in fact even going for 255 sounds like a big downgrade to me, but i will keep this combo in mind. Thank you!

What did you sell them for?

What did you sell them for?
1100. I know that's cheap but I needed them to be gone soon. There are tons of them here in the marketplace section and on eBay. It seems like many Performance owners do not like the 21" wheels and swap and them and sell theirs. One company even offers trade in of your 21" if you go to the and buy a different set of wheels from them. They offer 800 for a set of Uberturbine, but it must be in pristine condition.

1100. I know that's cheap but I needed them to be gone soon. There are tons of them here in the marketplace section and on eBay. It seems like many Performance owners do not like the 21" wheels and swap and them and sell theirs. One company even offers trade in of your 21" if you go to the and buy a different set of wheels from them. They offer 800 for a set of Uberturbine, but it must be in pristine condition.

Oh that's a good deal. I have mine listed for 2k 🤣 Did you include your TPMS sensors?