Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Square - 265/40 on 21x9.5 Uberturbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some reading of what others have done and being due for tires, I made the swap. I got 2 additional front rims so I could have a square setup so I can properly rotate the tires. I kept with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons as they treated me well, almost 31K on the initial set. I would have gotten even more from them but realized the inside wore a lot quicker when looking closer so they were due. Got an alignment after the tire swap but don't have camber adjustments.. Tesla fail... May need to look into adding some camber arms in the future.

Square Setup
Rims - 21x9.5 Uberturbine
Tires - 265/40 R21 105Y XL - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

I attached a couple of quick photos to show the before and after clearance gains and how the wheel well is filled out more. There is not any rubbing, there appears to be better curb protection, it is a quieter and more refined ride overall. I am hoping there won't be much of a significant loss in range as it is in theory in the middle of the factory setup of 255/35 and 275/35.. but each of the tires do weigh more than the original setup by a couple of lbs. Time will tell on the range after a bit of use. My day-to-day is a mix of city and highway, but I do at least once a year take a 4K mile road trip which greatly increases my trip Wh/mi with the long distance at high speeds and mountains/cold.

Previous Energy Usage
Life 31K: 296 Wh/mi
Trip 1900 miles: 264 Wh/mi

Now a question to those that have swapped their MYP to a square setup.
Should I keep the tire setting as the Uberturbine or should I change it to the Induction since it is a square setup?

I wish Tesla would add further options in the tire settings for us to have more accurate selections of square/staggered and tire sizes as

Attachments

• MYP Clearance before:after.jpg
    MYP Clearance before:after.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 118
  • MYP Wheel Well before:after.jpg
    MYP Wheel Well before:after.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 100
Interested to hear if your wh/mi stays consistently lower. Would be a nice boost to range for me.
The wh/mi I had posted was before the swap showing the life of the car and the last 1900 miles on the old tires. My previous normal trip ratings range from 265-280 wh/mi if they don’t include my big road trips which bring up the average a lot because of the speeds and mountains.

I will say the first 500 miles I’ve driven on the new tires has actually not been a beneficial change to consumption, but it seems to be getting better as the tires get some wear on them. I’ll try to update when I hit 1000 miles and then reset again to get more accurate readings. The way I drive is mixed city/highway and I definitely don’t baby it, but nor do I slam on the pedal all the time.

I’m hopeful considering the fronts are slightly wider and rears are narrower it balances out and is a wash, but would love if it was an overall positive effect on range. Time will tell after the newness wears off and my temps are more back to usual.