Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tire Options for MYP in 2024?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many here, I've moved the 275/35/21 tires in the front and traded in those 255/35/21's for Michelin 295/35/21 Pilot Sport All Season 4 in the rear. While this greatly reduced the potential for curb rash, I don't like the 5 to 8% drop in efficiency, the louder tire noise in the rear (295's don't come with acoustic foam), and the larger front tires make the steering feel heavier. Are there better options this year that solve these issues?

Last edited:
The factory Michelins are already one of the best tires you can get.

Increasing the width does nothing for curb rash protection. Bumping into a curb is going to damage the wheel no matter what, the rubber there is not structural. The factory tires have a protruding sidewall that the 295s lack, so you're essentially getting the same amount of sidewall "protection" anyways all said and done.

The T0 PSAS4 is an ultra premium tire, there's really nothing better to upgrade to, it's already a Tesla-spec tire specifically designed for this car with noise and efficiency in mind.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Noflash
I slightly disagree with you that the wider tires offer no wheel protection. On the OEM tires, even with that "rim lip", the wheels still protruded a few mm past the rubber. The other day, I slightly bumped my rear tire against a curb on a Panera driver-through turn; fortunately it hit the rubber only and was fully protected. This would of been a significant scrape with the OEM setup. In fact, any slight contact with the OEM tires on a concrete curb will cause severe damage.

I switched to 19" for the winter and I can tell you... it doesn't make much of a difference. :) My wife still hates riding in my car when we go on breakfast runs because our coffees get thrown around so badly in the cupholder!!

I drove a BMW with 21" wheels and very thin tires the other day. It was like driving on a cloud. The Tesla suspension is 100% to blame for the rough ride. It's a shame.

Sure, improvements can be made with a thicker tire but it's a small percentage of the total issue.

Reactions: Noflash
The factory Michelins are already one of the best tires you can get.

Increasing the width does nothing for curb rash protection. Bumping into a curb is going to damage the wheel no matter what, the rubber there is not structural. The factory tires have a protruding sidewall that the 295s lack, so you're essentially getting the same amount of sidewall "protection" anyways all said and done.

The T0 PSAS4 is an ultra premium tire, there's really nothing better to upgrade to, it's already a Tesla-spec tire specifically designed for this car with noise and efficiency in mind.

I switched to 19" for the winter and I can tell you... it doesn't make much of a difference. :) My wife still hates riding in my car when we go on breakfast runs because our coffees get thrown around so badly in the cupholder!!

I drove a BMW with 21" wheels and very thin tires the other day. It was like driving on a cloud. The Tesla suspension is 100% to blame for the rough ride. It's a shame.

Sure, improvements can be made with a thicker tire but it's a small percentage of the total issue.
If you are running at speed into a curb you always have a risk of wheel damage. I think most damage to these wheels comes during slow motion parking where a few extra millimeters of tire will definitely help.

The ride in my 2022 MYLR was terrible and even mpp comfort coilovers didn't help. When Tesla fixed the suspension in Fall 2022 I ordered a MYP and the ride was much improved even with the wheel size difference.