Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires: I installed the 21" Sailuns on my MYP - Happy so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed a set of 21" Sailun ERange tires on my MYP yesterday. Factory fitment, 255/35-21 & 275/35-21. Got all four for sub-$600 wholesale... couldn't say no when just two Michelins are over $750. We are putting a lot of miles on the car in a short time this Summer and I saw no reason to blow through a set of Michelins on this car since it wears tires so quickly.

The Michelins were shot with only 20,000 miles on them - not their fault, they had more to go, but the fronts were cupped from a bad alignment previously. Very noisy. So it's hard for me to say that the Sailuns are very quiet, but they are way better than what I came from. My wife commented on how quiet the car rolls now - a feat in itself. It's nice to drive again. Though I am noticing a slight resonance that starts at about 58mph and becomes less noticeable past 70mph. We'll see how they are as the tires wear in. It's still quieter than the cupped Michelins at that speed.

It is also definitely slightly more comfortable than the Michelins were, but those were older tires without much tread left. Not apples to apples. In any case, I have seen an improvement in comfort and noise since switching to the Sailuns - it didn't get worse, we'll see how it does in the next few thousand miles. The steering feel is a bit squishier now that I have some meaty tread again. I'm sure handling at the absolute limit is probably worse on the Sailuns, but they're an EV touring tire, not an ultra-high-performance A/S like the Michelin was. And I think the Sailuns will be more comfortable in the long run for that reason.

The actual tread area seems slightly wider than the Michelins. There is no "stretched" appearance anymore with these. They appear to be a fatter tire, but only just.

Quality-wise from an installer's perspective: They did not require a lot of balancing weight like a typical budget-tire would. It was very "round" on the balancer, like a Conti or Michelin would be. They only required 0.50-1.75 ounces to balance, per wheel. Very impressed with that on such a large wheel.

Haven't seen anyone post impressions of the 21" version of this tire yet, so wanted to share. At 1/3 the price of the Michelins, I'm fine with trying them out for a season to see what value they hold.

IMG_6866.jpeg

IMG_6868.jpeg

IMG_6869.PNG

IMG_6870.PNG

Last edited:
I have been looking at them for mine too. They are the least expensive tires that fit. Big O carries them in northern CA. I have to see what treadwear warranty I will get on the original Michelins and decide then. You got a great price.

The company is Chinese but the tires are made in Vietnam.

I did notice a low-200Wh/mi 20mi round trip yesterday, but it was random slow around-town driving, not a controlled test by any means. Next week I'll have the car to drive on the highway a bit more to get some efficiency data, hopefully. The car is going on a trip this weekend, about 500mi, so they'll be fully broken-in by Monday.

1000 miles on the tires now. Definitely an improvement in comfort over the Michelins - even when they were new. The Sailuns are definitely not as sharp in steering feel, it's minor, but noticeable. What they lack in steering feel they make up for in a softer ride. For someone who has an MYP in the Northeast and has a dedicated set of winter tires, these are a solid option for piling the miles on without spending a fortune. Starting tread depth is 9/32" - same as the Michelins. We'll see how they wear in the coming year. These are a solid touring tire option if you're not looking for an UHP all-season. They're just a regular all-season that suits the car well. I had them up to 85mph the other day without any vibrations or odd noises. So far so good.

Reactions: B.K. and android04