Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which semi-slick tyres fit on a Tesla Y with 21" Uberturbine wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Y came with Pirelli PZ4 tyres (size 255/35 R21 on the front wheels, and size 275/35 R21 on the rear wheels).
I was exploring exchanging these into semi-slick tyres, which I can use on the road and on occasional track days, but I discovered that in the R21 size and 35 height category there are very very few options.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 is an option for the rear tyres with 275 width, but they don't exist in 255 width size for the front wheels (which are a bit less wide than the rear wheels).

Does anyone know of any semi-slick tyres that would fit on the 21" Uberturbine wheels (front and rear)?
What are other cost-efficient alternatives I could explore? (without having to buy entirely new wheels)

What is your reasoning and goal for doing so?

Those kinds of tires are meant primarily for track use but safe and legal for the road so you can drive to and from the track without having to change out wheels and tires at the track.

Not really meant for daily use and occasional track. That’s what the high/max performance summer street tires like the P Zero and Pilot Sport 4S lines of tires meant are for.

And there is no such thing as a cost effective semi slick tire for daily use. They are going to be expensive and wear out FAST. And forget about any type of moisture, they will have terrible grip unless it’s dry and warm. They also tend to have less grip than the high performance summer street tires unless warmed up and need to be driven hard to get up to optimal temp, not something you can really do on the street. Not to mention the range penalty.

Reactions: Goobers
Last I checked, semi-slicks are a bad idea for road driving.

For one thing, they're supposed to be expensive because their tailor made for track use. They wear quicker than road use tires, meaning you'll just spend way more money than you'd need on the road.

You're better off going with a typical internet answer of, using road tires for the road and put the track tires on a second set of wheels for when you do want to go to the track.

Michelin PS2 are not semi-slicks, they're just high performance sport tires (technically, UHP summer). So, it seems more like your definition of track tires is not quite the same as mine.

EDIT, Michelin are a bit goofy on the naming. So, there's no such thing as 'just' Pilot Sport 2. Instead, there are two similarly named ones, "Pilot Sport PS2" and "Pilot Sport CUP 2." The CUP 2 are semi-slicks and it shows (TR labels them streetable track and competition). Any where you look online, its the same as what @E90alex said, legal for street use, but that's about it. Near useless when its wet and can't drive or even STORE(?!?) if its cold, let alone snow. At least UHP Summer (like the PS2) can deal with wet and vaguely when cold (though not snow/ice).

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
Thanks! Where I live in the South of Spain it almost never rains, and it's always dry and warm :)
So I will never drive in snow, and maybe once per year, I will drive 10 min in a little bit of rain if I really have to go out when it exceptionally rains. Otherwise, it will always dry and warm.
That is why I thought of having something similar to the "Michelin Pilot Sport CUP 2" semi-slicks during the whole year, to have a bit more grip on the road for daily use, and be able to use them for the track occasionally (just a few days per year), without having to swap tyres/wheels.

Are there any semi-slicks for 21" Uberturbine wheels (front and rear) that are fine for daily use in dry and warm weather?

Thanks! Where I live in the South of Spain it almost never rains, and it's always dry and warm :)
So I will never drive in snow, and maybe once per year, I will drive 10 min in a little bit of rain if I really have to go out when it exceptionally rains. Otherwise, it will always dry and warm.
That is why I thought of having something similar to the "Michelin Pilot Sport CUP 2" semi-slicks during the whole year, to have a bit more grip on the road for daily use, and be able to use them for the track occasionally (just a few days per year), without having to swap tyres/wheels.

Are there any semi-slicks for 21" Uberturbine wheels (front and rear) that are fine for daily use in dry and warm weather?

Like a Drag Racing radial?