Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it suspicious that we go about a year without a single fire issue, then there are three within a month of each other?

I don't find it suspicious at all. The first fire was a freak accident that would have probably set an ICE on fire if the debris involved had punctured the fuel tank. The second fire was caused by what appears to be severe lack of judgment on the part of the driver, who smashed through a concrete wall and into a tree (driver was lucky to walk away, and not be killed). I can't comment on this incident near Nashville as the details are not known.

There have been perfectly rational explanations for the first 2 incidents. I doubt there is a conspiracy.

I don't find it suspicious at all. The first fire was a freak accident that would have probably set an ICE on fire if the debris involved had punctured the fuel tank. The second fire was caused by what appears to be severe lack of judgment on the part of the driver, who smashed through a concrete wall and into a tree (driver was lucky to walk away, and not be killed). I can't comment on this incident near Nashville as the details are not known.

There have been perfectly rational explanations for the first 2 incidents. I doubt there is a conspiracy.

The problem is that you are clearly rational. Much of the rest of the world is not.

All you nay Sayers, TESLA is not going anywhere but up. It is is revolutionary. Since this is only TESLA forum, issues become un-poprituanetly magnified. PLEASE look at NHTSA, and if you don't believe the "Safest Car rating" either you don't believe NHTSA and are just creating unnecessary hype, or just being a whiner. Does anybody has data points on "how many car fires we have in US on daily basis?

I took the pic and cropped it and blew it up. still looks to me like part of the left side is missing or it's one crazy optical illusion. In any case, there is quite a bit of front end impact.

close up Tesla fire.jpg

The more I look at the first picture, the more it looks like a systems fire NOT having to do with the pack. Like a short, as someone mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

I took the pic and cropped it and blew it up. still looks to me like part of the left side is missing or it's one crazy optical illusion. In any case, there is quite a bit of front end impact.

View attachment 34921

I think optical illusion. Notice the right area where the headlight has since melted away, leaving an empty spot.

Also, i do not see evidence of frontal impact. The bumper bar is intact. Nose cone is obviously melted away. Hood has buckled from the heat of the fire. Remember, aluminum has a relatively low melting point, so will buckle and wrinkle in a fire sooner than steel, for instance.

I took the pic and cropped it and blew it up. still looks to me like part of the left side is missing or it's one crazy optical illusion.

View attachment 34921

It looks symmetrical around the front nose to me. It also looks like the heat was concentrated at the main pack front vent exits. From what I recall from the prior fires, the heat is designed to escape forwards, though the outer edges of the frame. This would be approximately where the damage is concentrated. This would explain the symmetry.

All 3 of these accidents happened after they started shipping the P85+ model. Are all of the cars P85+? Could it be an issue with that specific model of the car?
Doubt it is the P85+ but it might be 'air suspension' versus regular suspension since at high speeds the air suspension lowers the car....more chance to run over something/puncture? I know the P85+ all have air suspension but it can be ordered for other S configurations.