Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model S Raven vs 2024 M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my 2019 Raven last year, and then started missing it a lot. It was amazing to drive, and felt very luxurious. Now I'm thinking of buying another one. I found one with around 11k miles and FSD that looks lovely, and it can be had for $47k ish, which sounds like a good deal (though prices just keep dropping on these).

Then the new Model 3 Performance was announced and with the federal tax credit, it can be had for $51k or so, all in!

I really love the larger size and driving dynamics of the Model S, and never really loved the previous Model 3 (I think they look pretty pedestrian and they're so common), but comparing an out-of-warranty 2019 Model S that might be looking a little outdated with the brand new Model 3 Performance... it seems like a difficult choice.

What would you do?

I sold my 2019 Raven last year, and then started missing it a lot. It was amazing to drive, and felt very luxurious. Now I'm thinking of buying another one. I found one with around 11k miles and FSD that looks lovely, and it can be had for $47k ish, which sounds like a good deal (though prices just keep dropping on these).

Then the new Model 3 Performance was announced and with the federal tax credit, it can be had for $51k or so, all in!

I really love the larger size and driving dynamics of the Model S, and never really loved the previous Model 3 (I think they look pretty pedestrian and they're so common), but comparing an out-of-warranty 2019 Model S that might be looking a little outdated with the brand new Model 3 Performance... it seems like a difficult choice.

What would you do?

There should be a very convincing reason for me to give up the hatch back feature (no hatch back in Model 3).

Reactions: QUBO and Ciaopec
I'd miss the raven's adaptive air suspension in a few cases, but I would probably be able to get by. The lack of a gauge cluster is also annoying, though there is an aftermarket for that. However, the stalkless, capacitive button design can shove off. It will be a better comparison once there are aftermarket stalks available, but the 3 is now a total non-starter for me (as is the refreshed S).

The new M3P otherwise looks like a pretty capable, fun car, and is way, way cheaper than its rivals.

Not a 2024, but I had a 2020 M3P on the larger wheels for a month while waiting for work to be done on my 2020 Raven performance. Switching involved a 150 mile drive both when dropping off and picking up, so I have clear view of the comparison between those two.

The M3 felt much smaller inside. I really missed the hatchback for the dogs.
The Raven in sports mode handles about as controlled as the M3P, but MUCH quieter. You feel the bumps and controlled rebound, but much less of a thump. The M3 still has a lot of body roll for such a stiff car. Perhaps this is improved on the Highland.
The sportier feel many quote for the M3 is ALL about the faster steering. To give you an idea, turning onto the road from my driveway is a 180 ° wheel turn on the M3 but 270 ° on the Raven. This also makes the M3 feel much less settled and twitchy.
The M3 has looks only an owner could love whereas the MS still looks elegant and up to date. The Raven’s interior feels much more upmarket. And with the M3 you can’t actually have a quick glance at the Nav portion of the screen - you have to turn your head - unlike in the MS.