Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Motors mass market car....???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually okay to be boxy in the back, because of the "Kamm effect", where given the suggestion of the ideal teardrop shape in the front, you can cut off the tail end and still have very similar aerodynamics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

Yeah, you and I have a different definition of "boxy". To me, "boxy" means "looking like a cardboard box.". I would never describe the back of a Prius as boxy. This is my definition of boxy:
File:2009-2011 Volkswagen Golf (5K) 118TSI Comfortline 5-door hatchback (2011-11-08) 01.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, you and I have a different definition of "boxy". To me, "boxy" means "looking like a cardboard box.". I would never describe the back of a Prius as boxy. This is my definition of boxy:
File:2009-2011 Volkswagen Golf (5K) 118TSI Comfortline 5-door hatchback (2011-11-08) 01.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Gremlin and A2 are both "boxy" designs, but are still Kammbacks (I know the A2 has pretty amazing aerodynamics).

Anyways, my main point is that not every car has to look like the Prius to be aerodynamic.

Last edited:
I'm sure Tesla will find a way to differentiate their offering in the $30k market. Consider how many ICEs are available in that price range. It was always Tesla's goal to get down to that price range, and I'd be surprised if that changes, given that Tesla has the large Nummi factory already available. At a time at which the Model X was already in the plans, the time frame for Bluestar was still mentioned as about 2015-2016 (I think), although I don't think that was a fixed date, more an intent.

Absolutely right. Elon has always expressed his views for the mass market/$30k car after the S and X (the reintroduction of the Roadster was a small surprise though).

I think that without 21" wheels (maybe as a very top option), pano roof, retractable door handles, and many other features going into the S and X, with a smaller and lighter chassis, Telsa won't have a problem designing a very cool car still with very unique design architecture (no tranny tunnel, engine, etc. with decent range. Plus, if battery prices keep going down at the rate expected, range could be more than we think. IMHO, Tesla is doing it right by not trying to push something out there too fast. Get the business stable first before going after the Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, etc. small/mid-size sedans and coupes.

Elon has always expressed his views for the mass market/$30k car after the S and X (the reintroduction of the Roadster was a small surprise though).

My speculation is that the "Model R" or "Roadster 3.0" will be built on the same/similar "skateboard" as the Bluestar and will provide, therefore, the initial high-margin vehicle to cover the line startup-costs for Bluestar. The Model R would have enhanced power electronics, just as the Model S Performance steps up the power train of the Model S.

My speculation is that the "Model R" or "Roadster 3.0" will be built on the same/similar "skateboard" as the Bluestar and will provide, therefore, the initial high-margin vehicle to cover the line startup-costs for Bluestar. The Model R would have enhanced power electronics, just as the Model S Performance steps up the power train of the Model S.

At least the part of R being on the gen 3 chassis is more than speculation, they've actually stated as much.

Model R will also be AWD and have 2 motors. Elon has said this as well.