Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Motors mass market car....???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I am going to go in for $60k on a Model S, my dream car would be a ~$60k version of the bluestar (Model C?) with the performance package and AWD in a hot hatch variant!

That's exactly what I'm waiting for... except maybe not the hot hatch variant, I'd have to see it first.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the maximum range, performance, and AWD package (with a few options like sun roof & electronics package) reached ~$70k.

If the super-Bluestar were available at $70k, I would likely buy that over the ~$86k variant of the Model S I'm looking at. Of course, that's a pure hypothetical, and I'd rather buy the Model S this year than wait 4-5 years for the super-Bluestar.

I'm waiting for the super-Bluestar. I believe Elon said that Bluestar would come out about three years after Model S at one point, which would put it at mid-2015. I don't expect that it'll have a performance and AWD version available on day 1 however. It would probably be a year or two before both of those options were available. So I'm thinking I'll end up buying a super-Bluestar sometime around mid-2017 for around $70,000.

Mid-2017 is also good for two other reasons. One, the car will have been out for two years, so whatever fixes it needs will be fixed by then and two, by that time I'll have made enough on the TSLA stock to cover at least half of the price.

Will the automotive market ever see a mass market car designed and built by Tesla Motors??? I'm not sure but I would i like to see that happen. In the past 18 months, I have seen several manufacture design and in some cases put small and cheap EVs on the road. Will TM be able to compete in this arena? If TM is going for an SUV and then a Coupe when will we expect to see a TM mass market EV? Just had some questions.

Elon Musk has made plans to move forward with the development and the eventual production run of a Tesla Motors "Mass Market" EV. As another member of the forum stated, if Tm could build a car that out performs any of the current EVs then Tesla Motors has a great change at selling 20-50K unit per year. Let's wait and see.

I would think we will see a third 'skateboard/S' platform car/truck/van next year. And then the first Bluestar platform car in early 2014 (sticking with Elon's 1 car per year idea)

I think Elon has made public comments that the Bluestar platform will come after the X (and there won't be another S platform car before that). The next-gen Roadster will likely come after that (presumably on the Bluestar platform). I think perhaps Elon is wary that the major OEMs might get a huge head start in the same market segment that Bluestar wants to target (most significantly BMW with its i-series and Infiniti/Nissan's planned luxury EV).

If that wasn't the case, I think a Model S coupe would probably do very well (not sure about the van though). But that can certainly wait until after the Bluestar, since I think the Bluestar is more significant for Tesla.

I was thinking about this before, and we got to see the X about 5-6 months before S deliveries. So with that in mind, I expect that we'll see something of Bluestar around late spring/early summer of next year (2013)

In regards timing of the bluestar.. Within Tesla there are clearly different sections of the company...
There is a design element - That probably has power train design and software design and cabin design etc..
There is a factory tooling element - Getting the Tesla Factory online
There is the production element - Getting the cars out the door
There is the service element - Keeping the cars working and happy customers

As the Model S works through on these elements, it doesn't make sense to leave the people hired for the design stuff idle, so they went to Model X.
Probably the power train/skateboard design for bluestar has already started since the Model X is very similar to the Model S.
The Model X timeline is about the Model S factory tooling finishing and the production working so that tooling for Model X can start.
Then bluestar tooling etc...

You can bet that Elon will keep everyone busy. The Model X reveal shows that there is no slowing down or stopping to wait for how things turn out.
I think it's even wrong to think of these are different vehicles. The different cars are the logical result from different design decisions. They are all Tesla.
Assuming success, and several models coming out, we'll see cross pollination between the models over time. Like a Model S that gets the Model X floating display...

As long as everything is well managed and there are no bad hiccups we could make decent predictions.

Development of the Blue star has begun and they aim to bring it with a price range in the thirties. World on cusp of EV tipping point, says Tesla CTO

Yikes. That was a horribly written article. I thought I was reading an article written for a high school newspaper. But enough about that, J.B. was pretty clear that preliminary work for the Bluestar is underway. Last year the top selling sedans in the US were the Camry, Altima, Accord, and Fusion. All are mid-sized sedans that sold over 200,000 units. So, the Bluestar should target that large segment of the market. Most of those are priced in the $20K to $30K range. It's reasonable to assume people would be willing to pay a $10K premium for an electric car and still be successful. Well that's my quick armchair analysis...

I'm sure a lot of us are dreaming about this car. It will be ny next car...and I can hardly wait!

I wonder how many reservations they will have when production starts? Given there are 10k for the Model S, my guess is around 30'ooo+ reservations.