Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Purchase Paradigm - What Governs Choices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vermell

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2023
Kansas
In the past, buyers chose certain brands of vehicles based on the quality of the motor (ie Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche) or based on the speed (Ferrari).

Why do people choose Tesla over other brands? For me, the decision was based on the company’s experience in this industry that is far ahead of other manufacturers that are beginning to enter this market. However, I see buyers choosing to buy EVs from companies like Rivian and Polestar, or MB/BMW. Why? It cannot be due to the “motor,” right? Is it loyalty?

I am curious what others think about what makes people choose other EVs (other than just their own personal flavor of brands). Three to five years from now, what is going to the the defining factor? I can only guess that it will be infrastructure (charging points) and battery research leading to batteries that can be charged many more times before failure.

Hardly anybody says they bought an Android or iPhone over the other because of battery longevity or microprocessor power. Will buying EVs be like mobile phones?

Well my old business partner says that 20 years and gobs of money later, Tesla still can't do stuff like panel gaps for sh!te. My brother likes Tesla but on the other hand says they are common as cockroaches up by him (San Francisco Bay). Others might feel the interiors look cheap. So there are some negative choice factors. The flip side is anyone who wants their EV to be able do road trips, that is a joke in anything BUT a Tesla. And personally, when I first saw a 3 interior I felt it was refreshingly clean. I got in a new Honda Civic Lyft about a month ago and looking at the dashboard thought 🤮 because it looked so busy and cluttered and unattractive.

Reactions: vermell