Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 85 does not make sense with the release of the 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Mario, this is why I feel that the 85 still makes sense even while the 70D makes sense to others. For some, that range really does matter. For other, who might really care about the performance, the 85D makes a great vehicle. For those like me who didn't care about the range b/c my usage would not mean I have to stop to charge a 70D anywhere I would NOT have to stop a 85/85D, then that works great. Hence, while I agree that the writing is on the wall that Tesla will eventually drop the 85, I still think it makes sense for the right buyer. :)

... At least until late-June, when my Ocean Blue S85D arrives ;)

That's exactly what I want to order - S85D Ocean Blue! But you're also right about the typical trips we make and how the vehicle fits into our lives.

I got the smack down from the wife. She's sticking to her guns for now on the 85D - doesn't think we "need" it. Technically, we probably don't. The only trip we take is 3-4 times a year 200 miles to my parent's house on the east coast of Florida. There's a SC right on the way - plus I've been juicing my Volt there for the past 4 years during the visit without a hitch. Probably will be just fine with the MS too.

- - - Updated - - -

....., while I agree that the writing is on the wall that Tesla will eventually drop the 85, I still think it makes sense for the right buyer. :)

And Cyclone, I'm in Florida. I really don't think I need the AWD. Maybe I can talk the wife into the 85 and split the difference - but when it's slower than the 70D? I can't do that! :(

OQ991 said it best - the 85D is the all-in-one car. Range, performance, all for the right cost I think . . . just need to talk the wife into it!

That's exactly what I want to order - S85D Ocean Blue! But you're also right about the typical trips we make and how the vehicle fits into our lives.

I got the smack down from the wife. She's sticking to her guns for now on the 85D - doesn't think we "need" it. Technically, we probably don't. The only trip we take is 3-4 times a year 200 miles to my parent's house on the east coast of Florida. There's a SC right on the way - plus I've been juicing my Volt there for the past 4 years during the visit without a hitch. Probably will be just fine with the MS too.

And Cyclone, I'm in Florida. I really don't think I need the AWD. Maybe I can talk the wife into the 85 and split the difference - but when it's slower than the 70D? I can't do that! :(

OQ991 said it best - the 85D is the all-in-one car. Range, performance, all for the right cost I think . . . just need to talk the wife into it!

Wrong approach! You should be pushing for a P85D. And then you compromise with the 85D. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I plan to make the Charlotte <-> Fort Lauderdale trip by car now. I am buying a 85, but I totally could have done it via a 70D. That said, its a Supercharger trip for me and the ones I need to make the trip happen are all operational.

Cyclone, you JUST ordered yours, huh? Is this to replace your current or additional? You must be so excited or is this like the second kid? Once you've already waited, the excitement the second time around isn't as bad?

I would love to order mine early, but it would be stupid to have 3 cars for only the 2 current drivers. I need to hold off another 6 months . . . and counting

See my sig. I just ordered my first Tesla and first EV, a CPO 85. Anxiously waiting doesn't even cover it. My dashboard coying with me saying "Production Complete: Your Model S is in transit for pickup or delivery" for the past 5 days has been excruciating. Hopefully it will make its way to me soon!

I didn't expect this but I changed my order from the 85D back to the 70D and took out all of the upgrades except the autopilot option. For my daily drive from down to Miami I just didn't need the range and we are hoping to add another tesla later in the year (saying goodbye to our Honda Odyssey). The $$$ saved when combined with selling the Odyssey and my SmartCar gets us most of the way to another new 70D or perhaps a nice P85 CPO. I have until the 2nd to make changes...

... I'm also considering that 85S from a simplicity and battery capacity standpoint. My wife (industrial engineer) would completely agree with you about the additional motors = additional potential problems...

There was an open house with engineers present when they opened the Montreal Center last December. Based on the engineers' presentations, yes, two motors makes for more complexity, but the "gen two" motor is more refined than the one you get in the back of the S85 (and the P85D). You can also continue to drive with one motor in some instances where one motor fails.