Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used model s buying dilemma (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here.
Here is my situation. I am a taxi driver and after many years I have a position to finally buy my dream car, a model s. I run yearly about 40-50k miles with my curent Prius so it is quite heavy usage.
I know I have to get rid of all the smaller battery cars from my list so I have to stick to 85, 90 or even 100 packs. I read that dual motors are preferable. So with my budget I could buy a facelifted 90d in about 29-32k £ range roughly with around 2 years warranty on drivetrain and battery. This could give me a bit of peace of mind at least for the next 2 years while I will pump roughly 80-100k miles into the odometer.
Or, and here comes the dilemma. I could buy an older 2015 early 2016 85d with less warranty ( most cases end this year ) but around 20-23k in £.
What would you think in my situation?
If I buy the older version I will have spare money for the unforeseeable future when the battery dies after the warranty, or if I choose the newer model I have 2 years peace of mind. But in that case the battery will die anyway sooner or later so probably I cannot avoid repair costs just postpone it.
Bear in mind I plan to keep my prius as a second shot in case the service center will sit on my car for months. That helps me to stay on the road even if the repair might not cost me a penny if covered by warranty.
By the way I want free supercharger capability however my daily charging routine would be a home charging.
And please don't ask me to buy model 3 instead. That is not an option.
Any suggestions are more than welcome except above :)
Thanks in advance

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I explored degradation and life of batteries to death, pardon the pun before buying my 2016 90D. I've concluded failures of batteries tend to occur from 150K miles onwards on older 2013/14/15 models. As the years went on, battery technology improved and were included to newer vehicles. The amount of miles you do, I agree with you factoring battery warranty, especially when you hit the 150-200k mileage mark. Free supercharging means you wont be buying from Tesla used inventory which also come with a years used warranty. I've personally found the warranty helpful but appreciate the need for free supercharging in your situation.

If you are mostly worried about the risk of HV battery failure, you can reduce that risk by shopping around for a used car that has already had an HV battery replacement. If you go this route, you should look for a replacement with a brand new, not refurbished, battery. Research in this forum how you can confirm this by reading the battery sticker on the underside of the car.

This search will take a bit longer, but it's definitely doable if the HV battery is your priority. You'll find more 2013's and 2014's with new-ish HV batteries than 2015/2016 - so the tradeoff is no warranty, but a relatively new and more reliable HV battery.

Reactions: David Harvey
I explored degradation and life of batteries to death, pardon the pun before buying my 2016 90D. I've concluded failures of batteries tend to occur from 150K miles onwards on older 2013/14/15 models. As the years went on, battery technology improved and were included to newer vehicles. The amount of miles you do, I agree with you factoring battery warranty, especially when you hit the 150-200k mileage mark. Free supercharging means you wont be buying from Tesla used inventory which also come with a years used warranty. I've personally found the warranty helpful but appreciate the need for free supercharging in your situation.
I just checked Tesla inventory for curiosity. It was what I expected. No way there would be any good deal for me. Cheapest 90d is 36k and your mentioned 1 year warranty. In reality both used and drivetrain narrows to 10 000 miles. That is 2 busy months worth of work. So no question I have to forget Tesla inventory. Even I did not think for a second at first time.
Are you say it any 2016 cars are with never battery technology or only 2016 facelifted models has this feature?

Model S's sold pre-Feb 2020 with 70kwh or higher packs have an 8year + unlimited mileage warranty that might attract you as well. Must be purchased through a 3rd party (not Tesla.com's used inventory) to retain that I believe
If @biopete wants Free Suc (which I fully understand to in his situation), then he should stick only to pre-Jan 2017 cars not offered by Tesla's inventory. If he wants the biggest possible capacity and also the newest battery, then the P100D is the only option, nevertheless there were pretty rare with Free SuC. Otherwise there're plenty of P or non P90s and so on.

I just checked Tesla inventory for curiosity. It was what I expected. No way there would be any good deal for me. Cheapest 90d is 36k and your mentioned 1 year warranty. In reality both used and drivetrain narrows to 10 000 miles. That is 2 busy months worth of work. So no question I have to forget Tesla inventory. Even I did not think for a second at first time.
Are you say it any 2016 cars are with never battery technology or only 2016 facelifted models has this feature?
By the "newer battery technology" you probably mean the 100kWh pack or the 75kWh pack based on the same cell chemistry with 2 modules removed, right? Those packs were introduced somewhere by end of 2016 I believe and basically face-lifted models have them. From my poin of view, I wouldn't go into anything older nowadays, I'd buy at least some newer 90D.

Okay, but you mind sharing why it’s not an option? It probably has as much space as your Prius.
Sure.
Model 3 battery cannot be repaired or exchanged by modules like the model s. I know swapping modules in model s not a bulletproof solution but still it gives me a bit of hope if things go wrong.

Model 3 is same or similar size as prius but still smaller a bit than model s.
Model 3 has bo unlimited supercharging option.
I see that Model 3 is an updated prius with full electric capability instead of a supercar.
The shape of the model s is just my taste. Model 3 is not really.
So far for similar or even lower pricetag I could get more for my bucks by choosing a model s.
Nothing is wrong with model 3 I just made my poor research and came out with this conclusion.

after many years I have a position to finally buy my dream car, a model s.
Your opening statement clarified why you wouldn't consider a model 3 or anything else other than a model S.

So with my budget I could buy a facelifted 90d in about 29-32k £ range roughly with around 2 years warranty on drivetrain and battery. This could give me a bit of peace of mind at least for the next 2 years while I will pump roughly 80-100k miles into the odometer.
Or, and here comes the dilemma. I could buy an older 2015 early 2016 85d with less warranty ( most cases end this year ) but around 20-23k in £.
Do you have a preference on facelifted or pre-facelifted from the two you outlined? Personally, the extra 2 years warranty (if supercharging is included) would sway me toward the 90D. But this is just my opinion.

If you are mostly worried about the risk of HV battery failure, you can reduce that risk by shopping around for a used car that has already had an HV battery replacement. If you go this route, you should look for a replacement with a brand new, not refurbished, battery. Research in this forum how you can confirm this by reading the battery sticker on the underside of the car.

This search will take a bit longer, but it's definitely doable if the HV battery is your priority. You'll find more 2013's and 2014's with new-ish HV batteries than 2015/2016 - so the tradeoff is no warranty, but a relatively new and more reliable HV battery.
By the "newer battery technology" you probably mean the 100kWh pack or the 75kWh pack based on the same cell chemistry with 2 modules removed, right? Those packs were introduced somewhere by end of 2016 I believe and basically face-lifted models have them. From my poin of view, I wouldn't go into anything older nowadays, I'd buy at least some newer 90D.
I didn't mean anything haha. Motorsport101 mentioned that newer models have better batteries. The term "technology" might not be the right word because these are basically the same chemistry as far as I know, only the production is matured and optimized. Therefore those batteries in production later years are more reliable in theory.

I have mixed feelings about choosing this route. Even if I find a non warranty car with freshly replaced battery there is still a chance that in the next month the whole drivetrain will be landed in the bin. So what I spare on the sale I will lose in repairs. Not 100% but there is a chance that I will be sitting in my old tesla without a warranty forking out similar money in total like a facelifted car with warranty.

Your opening statement clarified why you wouldn't consider a model 3 or anything else other than a model S.

Do you have a preference on facelifted or pre-facelifted from the two you outlined? Personally, the extra 2 years warranty (if supercharging is included) would sway me toward the 90D. But this is just my opinion.
Reliability is my priority ( well within my budget). If I count that then definitely facelifted one I would choose.
Honestly I would choose a pre facelifted model only price wise.
So it looks like the conclusion is this:
Many scores for facelifted model.
Only one score for pre facelifted one.

Thank you guys for helping me and taking me in the right direction. Every opinion matters.
👏
How is your search going? I would strongly recommend a 75 or a 100 or as they do have a later/better cell chemistry. I wouldn't dismiss rear wheel drive versions as they will be slightly cheaper as nearly everyone prefers all wheel drive. I have driven both types and I prefer the lighter steering feel of the RWD plus there is no risk of constant velocity joint wear!

How is your search going? I would strongly recommend a 75 or a 100 or as they do have a later/better cell chemistry. I wouldn't dismiss rear wheel drive versions as they will be slightly cheaper as nearly everyone prefers all wheel drive. I have driven both types and I prefer the lighter steering feel of the RWD plus there is no risk of constant velocity joint wear!
I found one. It's a 90d AWD from 2016 June so it's a facelifted model. I am not sure about the chemistry but I hope will serve me well. Overall I am happy with it I have only one problem but still try to dig into it. My energy usage is quite high even if I try to do every thing to avoid high wh/mile. For example last day I drove 132 miles but the rated miles were 215. Si I am struggle to figure out what am I doing wrong or what cause such big difference.

I found one. It's a 90d AWD from 2016 June so it's a facelifted model. I am not sure about the chemistry but I hope will serve me well. Overall I am happy with it I have only one problem but still try to dig into it. My energy usage is quite high even if I try to do every thing to avoid high wh/mile. For example last day I drove 132 miles but the rated miles were 215. Si I am struggle to figure out what am I doing wrong or what cause such big difference.
My wife's model '15 S P90DL sucks up the juice as well comparatively to my M3P. About 320wh/mi I believe is fairly average for her. She likes her heat and 80MPH interstate driving. Can't say I pay attention to miles displayed at charged state vs actual miles driven, just the wh/mi value.

I think most Tesla drivers put their battery rating to percentage rather than miles and just forget about it. As long as you car makes the trips you need, its all good. As long as you tell your car where you're going, it won't let you get stuck with a dead battery. The 'miles left' vs percentage value gives some people anxiety.

Well actually I do just exactly that. Just changed to percentage. By the time I figured out if I switch off any heating cooling my usage improve. That is very strange because did not heated harshly. Just kept on 16 celsius and did not even switched on AC. I read heating moderately doesn't take much extra energy from the system. I don't think heating to 16 celsius in outside temp 8-10 degrees is described as extreme heating. Anyway now my energy dropped to about 320-330/mile which is acceptable. Not ideal for my needs but better than before.