Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ADVICE: 2023 Long Range MY at Carmax or New from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Person who bought from Carmax don't know how to use tesla.com?
It's just so weird, buying used car more expensive than exactly the same brand new. What if previous owner of that tesla forgot to charge the battery and it was sitting with 1% charge for few months in his garage?
Carmax made a general inspection like ICE car, but I m sure they didn't inspect the battery health.

Don't know... I suspect Carmax just prices based on model year and miles with little to no regard for autopilot software version/etc... I'll only find out what software is on the car once they transfer it to the store for me.
I am not eligible for tax credit, so I am hoping used price would reflect the real value. It should be $40k or less IMO.

I bought from Carmax because I wanted USS. I found a 2022 with 3k produced right before Tesla got rid of the sensors. It was the same price as buying new from Tesla, but I was able to see the car, and then have the option to return it for 30 days. Hearing the stories people tell about bringing back the car to Tesla to fix a list of issues, I appreciated having the car and being able to return it.

You can go to a service center and they can look up the car and let you know what the specs are and if it was brought in for anything. Your mileage might vary though. I know the guys at my service center and they may have done this to be nice.

Same answer as above... I don't know if the Y at CarMax has EAP or FSD or a tow hitch... once I find that out then the answer should become pretty clear...
It sounds like it's moot now anyway, but lots of mention of EAP and FSD - but no mention of acceleration boost ? I have 0 interest in EAP/FSD and would never pay for that. I don't want the car driving for me, but that little extra boost is worth something imo.

Small update... decided to order direct from Tesla! The car came in to carmax and it was pretty basic/stock so I decided to order exactly what I wanted from Tesla... ordered black with white interior and 20" rims... should be delivering before the end of the month, hopefully with HW4!
New is always better. Feels like the used market doesn't reflect the recent price drops.

Hello friends,

I have finally decided to take a plunge into the EV world, especially Model Y LR AWD. I am deciding between purchasing a used 2021 MYLR (for money savings as well as the presence of US sensors and hopefully even a radar) vs. ordering a brand new MYLR (due to reported better ride quality, dual paned windows, refinement as compared to earlier year models, and HW4, especially 5 MP Cameras, and wishfully a radar with it).

I am also interested in having FSD as part of my vehicle, as my commute is going to be through peak rush hours, so I hope that FSD reduces some of the driving stress. And I hope to keep the vehicle for at least another five years, preserving its functionality.

Lastly, is it best to obtain a used Tesla from a Private Party, Local Dealer, or directly from Tesla itself?

Thank you for your time!

Happy Driving!

What mileage has the car?

If you can take advantage of the IRA tax saving, get a new car.

The most important for an EV is the battery.

A new battery is better than an already 2 year old one.

Otherwise, I would prefer buying from a private party if the car has FSD,
because from what I read on other threads, Tesla removes FSD when bought from a dealer.
I believe that FSD can only directly transferrerd.

You need to check what warranty coverage you will still get when buying a used car.
Tesla in general provides a one year wanty on used Tesla,
but you pay more for something you might never use.

Tesla support vehicle warranty
Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty

With private party you can meet the owner
and you migh be able to negociate the price
since you skip the middle man dealer cost.

Dealers, well are dealers, they will try to sell anything.
They make additional profit selling credit or lease.
And it is difficult to get car history.

Last edited:
About using FSD in traffic, this is certainly relaxing to use especially after a busy day at work.

On curvy roads, one limitation of FSD that I noticed is that you still need to babysit it regarding speed.
FSD behaves more like a new driver, by not anticipating having to slow down enough in advance.

Basically FSD follows the marked speed limit, so best is to keep control of the car's speed,
using the right button on the steering wheel, to slow down or accelerate.
You can still use the accelerator pedal when needed, which will not disengage FSD.
Only using the brake pedal or wheel direction change will disengage FSD.