Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some new data from research on Tesla model 3 cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has recently been released a series of new research reports containing tests on Tesla Model 3 Cells (Panasonic 2170 NCA).
This is the calendar aging test from one of them (25C, 15, 50 and 85% SOC. Checkup once a month):
Using the datapoints from these and putting them in the old charts I ususally post, these match the olds ones quite good. As there is only three points, it do not show the real form of the curve, but all three points match the usual graphs.
IMG_1736.jpeg

For the cyclic tests, they did use rather high currents, not really respresentative to normal EV use. (To the researchers defense, the currents used is sort of the most EV-battery manufacturers current in the specifications but still not close to the regulkar EV usage).
Charged with 0.33C which would match about a 25kW DC charger, or double to four times the usual rate EV owners use mostly. Probably not offsetting the result much, but to be clear this is how it was done.

Discharged with 1C, which would be 78kW, about enough to drive constant at 200kph. This is way above the average power used from a regular EV. Driving at higway speeds at 120kph/80mph or so, we normally use like 1/4 of that power.
The average car often has a average speed longterm of about 50-60kph, meaning we often use 1/8-1/4 of the power in these cyclic tests.
From other tests we can se that lower power reduce the wear, the degradation often reduces to somewhere down to 0.5-0.7C.

In this report the author was a bit surprised over the increased wear at 5-15% SOC and 15-25% SOC. I would say that it it a very high probability of that this is induced by the 1C discharge rate, and that our normal power rates used IRL would make this look different. This is nothing I can promise but from several other research tests we can see that there ususally is a tendency to slightly increase the cyclic degradation at the lowest SOC ranges.

According to this chart, the best cycling range is 55 % down to 35%( see note below about true SOC).

Note: These are “True SOC”. 0% in this chart is where the car already has stopped, and 5% in-chart is about 0% displayed and 55% in-chart is is about 57% displayed.
IMG_1735.jpeg

As I said above, there is a high probability that the low SOC range wear much less with a lower C-rate. Anyway, due to the high impact of calendar aging we most certainly benefit from staying low in SOC.

For the first two years, we would loose about 9-9.5% from calendar aging if staying at high SOC.
During these two years, if we drive 15-20K km annually (10-15Kmiles), and stay in the very low regime cycling (5-25% true SOC, thats 0-20% displayed SOC) we would loose about 1% from ~ 75-100 FCE cycles during these two years/30-40K km.

IRL its not possible to stay that low in SOC without actively stopping the charging, as 50% is the lowest setting (but for reference to low /high SOC).

To reach the same level of cyclic degradation from low SOC cycling according to the chart we would need about 700FCE, or about 280K km, but that is not really possible to do and at the same time stay at 5-25% SOC.

So, a car charged to 80-90%, and used as most EV’s is used, will mostly be above 55% SOC and have a calendar aging close to the 85% graph.
After two years, it will be around 10% degradation if the average cell temp is about 25C.

If the car was charged to 50-55% it would have a calendar aging around 6%, and the cyclic aging would be half the high SOC car, so more or less negligeble.

Link to one report

[Edit]For what its worth, if someone is worried about the low SOC below 20% (I am not, but I’m aware of the classic forum rumors), charging to 50-55% and charging for the daily drives at or above 20% (not talking longer traveling here) all aspect of this report if ticked-in-the-box.

I will not change any of my charging behavior because of this report. There is from time to time small differences in the reports and usually the reason for that can be found by thorougly comparing with other tests. We need much more than one report to state a “fact”.

Last edited:
@AAKEE - Thanks for posting these cell test results. When I bought my Model 3 in Jan 2018 I charged to 70% every night, which was sufficient for anything driving I might do the next day. However, the BMS started to report a severe degradation in available energy (rated miles). Tesla advised me to charge to at least 80% to help the BMS estimate true capacity better. Maybe Tesla's BMS software is better now?

Have you noticed this issue after charging to 55% nightly?

GSP

Reactions: zoomer0056
As @GSP noted above I have seen inaccurate range percentages. I recalibrated by dropping the charge down to under 20%, then charged to 100%. The 100% range per miles number increased to 271 miles (from 267). On delivery (April, ‘23) the range in miles at 100% was 272.

The higher discharge current definitely hurts the low SoC cycling group likely by driving a larger voltage sag at the already low voltages.

Do we think the low SoC cycling of 25-0% would do substantially better than even the 55-35% if the discharge rate was instead C/2 or C/4?

So this is testing in a laboratory and not a car on the road?
Laboratory. But i have used the sum of the research laboratory tests and put it into a formula that mostly hit *any* Model 3 or do quite well.

Do we know if Tesla’s Battery Management System can improve on these figures....or is that impossible ?

A BMS Can not hinder calendar aging at all.
The BMS can trigger cell balancing to keep the cells working well together.

A BMS can not hinder calendar aging.
When you cycle the battery from 50-100-50 or so, the cells age from the charging and discharging and the BMS can not do anything about it.

BMS:es can cool the pack when “too” hot (mainly while driving) but it will use a lot of energy doing it any warm day.
The BMS can heat the cells when needed )sub freezing or so before a drive or charging etc.

Active Heating and cooling is not done very much as it would drain the battery and for parked cars also add cycles.

Other than that, the BMS mostly can ait sn watch the cells degrade.

So basically no matter what, there's still more than 80% battery capacity left after 3,000 cycles. Even if there hadn't been more capacity when the car was new, this would still translate to roughly 1.2 million kilometers or 746k miles (based on my M3 LR). In my usage case, this translates to 40 years of battery life.
Seems like a non-issue to me.

Reactions: sleepydoc
So basically no matter what, there's still more than 80% battery capacity left after 3,000 cycles. Even if there hadn't been more capacity when the car was new, this would still translate to roughly 1.2 million kilometers or 746k miles (based on my M3 LR). In my usage case, this translates to 40 years of battery life.
Seems like a non-issue to me.
The cycles is causing a very small part of the degradation.
Calendar aging is the thing causing the bigger losses. So you might be 10-15% of after 3-5 years.

Your 3000 FCE is from cycling at 55-45% 30.000 times. That wont happen, you will use larger cycles causing more degradation if you need to drive the length of 3000 FCE.

Same set of cells, picture from same report but in depth in another (sister) report:
R = room temp, 22C

R 50-100% give you 1000 cycles for 20% loss. 1000 cycles is well above needed itself but batteries tend to start getting unpredictable at about total degradation.
If you have 15% calendar aging, you do not have very much room for cyclic aging.
I think there are a lot of model S batteries getting troublesome because of the cells being tired.
IMG_5180.jpeg

Thanks for the update. Science is mostly consistent. Though the graph doesn't show as much sqrt(T) effect vs linear in T effect for calendar aging as I would suspect.

The practical message stays the same to me: set charge limit to 50% if you don't need longer distances. Helps for both calendar and cyclic aging.

Last edited:
With the recommendation that LFP can be charged to 100%, I wonder if the trends in these types of charts also apply to LFP, since the idea is that 100% charging supposedly doesn't harm the LFP battery.
Staying at 100% does harm the LFP battery, because it uses the same graphite anode as NCM/NCA, but at lower voltage.

Generally overall LFP degradation is lower for calendar and cyclic though.