Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Range Recovery... Simple Fix!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I myself am guilty of the old battery degradation panic attack! Please don't worry, if you're suffering from something similar... I have a super simple and easy fix for you!!

I'm calling it a slightly enhance version of what you've probably already read... but with a modified procedure.

Common recommendation is to lower soc to below 10% and then charge to 100%... and allow to balance cells, and hopefully recalibrate the BMS. For me, this didn't work.

I did the above... reluctantly though, as we're not recommended to go super low on charge or super high. After doing that procedure, I actually saw a loss in range... and then really went down the rabbit hole frome there.

What I've come to find out... is I was following Teslas recommendationa to a T. I mean if you get home with less than 10% Tesla gives a warning you're risking permanent damage to the battery if you don't plug it in right away! So, after taking some time to reflect on my charging habits, I realized my car was either moving, or plugged in.

The issue with that, is that the BMS only ever gets one reading. Mine was always 90%... and then more recently 80% per Tesla recommendation... which only made me see the estimated miles moving lower and lower.

I was feeling super discouraged... and super pissed.... especially because I had to repurchase in Sept of 22 at maximum price due to my wife totalling my first one in April of 22. I hadn't had the same issue with my first car... and paid less with nearly half the apr in Sept of 21 on the first car.

I left it be for while... still seeing my miles decrease little by little. When I got to 221 at 80% SOC... then 218-219. I was determined to figure out what was really going on.

I started digging again, and this time I found a link in the comments of someone else's thread. Can't find it again for anything in the world. However, the info that link provided was incredible, and helped me discover what was actually wrong with my 22 M3P!!

Let me explain a bit more(I'm sorry for the book). As mentioned earlier, I had followed Tesla recommendations... always plugging in. I work for myself... So I never park anywhere for any amount of time. What this means is that the ONLY reading my cars BMS has ever gotten is at 90% SOC... followed by 80% SOC.

The car needs 3 hours minimum to take a reading!!! This is the key to the whole issue. You're not at the grocery store for 3 hours and even if you are... if sentry mode is on... your car isn't asleep!! It needs to be in deep sleep (simplified terms) to get a reading. It needs multiple readings at different states of charge to get a good estimate on true capacity!!!

I've only been following the steps for a not even a week. I was down to 70kwh according to energy screen calculations before starting my new charging routine. Showing 218-219 at 80% SOC. I'm already back up to 228 at 80% SOC and seeing a little over 73kwh using energy screen calculations!!!! It's 50° fahrenheit here too. I can only imagine warmer weather would show a bit more!!

My car is always charged at home via a 2 wall connector setup. So it's more less trickle charging at 24 amps. Ive only charge to 100% once... and drove off immediately... before it even had time to balance as I was paranoid of letting it sit at a high soc!! Lol!

It's very possible I could still have a cell imbalance that will need to be corrected at some point as well. But I'm purposely avoiding that for now... to see what BMS recalibration alone can do.

So for now, I'm simply getting different SOC readings.. 30 couple percent. 40 couple percent. Wherever it is when I get home... I leave it unplugged... set an alarm so I don't forget to go and plug it in for next day. But badda bing badda boom!!! I'm getting miles back instead to lose for first time since owning it!!!

Really hoping this will help someone else who's seeing the same!!

Keys points are

** Iffffff you are never parking anywhere other than home for longer than 3 hours with sentry mode off...

** Your BMS is only ever seeing set limit SOC vs varying percentages.

** Fix this by leaving car unplugged for 3 hours minimum when returning home prior to plugging in... at as many different SOC's as possible.

** Be sure your sentry mode is either off, or set to not work at home in the safety menu... as the whole reason for leaving it sit unplugged is to go into deep sleep... which is need for the BMS to get its readings!

*No need to drain battery to super low numbers.

*No need to charge to super high numbers.

*Within a week of the above... you should already see the miles start to climb!!

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate
Def have ZERO desire to start a debate here like in the thread you linked sir or ma'am.

This is to help anyone who is in a similar situation to mine.

I'm hoping to save them countless wasted hours of research.

If it doesn't help you, or you're not interested in it... it's all good.

But having zero to say, and attaching a link of a debate helps no one. Thanks in advance for your understanding! Take care!

Pictures are worth a thousand words they say. So here is my energy calculations today. Months ago when I first posted here in the forums... I was at 72kwh and dropping. 70kwh +/- was the low. Seeing 73kwh months later, after adding another 10k miles of driving... and knowing it's climbing is quite a bit of relief for me!!!

Really hoping this will help someone else as well!

Attachments

• 20240108_101508.jpg
    20240108_101508.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20240108_101529_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_101529_Chrome.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I have the LFP batteries in my M3SR, and after only 4 months of ownership 100% SOC already shows a loss of 4 miles (from 272 to 268).

- I don't charge every night, so my battery gets plenty of deep sleep.
- I do charge to 100% when I charge, because LFP, and because Tesla says to.
- I have purposely run my battery pack down to 4 or 5 %, then charged to 100%, to "recalibrate the BCM".
- I still am losing range, but I'm not losing sleep over it, because the percentage charge still shows 100%.

Reactions: Mechsmoto
Thank you to the OP for this informative post. I may give this a try.

According to the Stats for Tesla app, my 5 year old P3D with 44K miles shows a maximum range of 282 miles, which is about 9 percent degradation.

That said, I have an even simpler "fix". Just change your battery status indicator from miles to percentage. I now think of my Tesla much in the same way I think of my iPhone. With my iPhone, I monitor the percentage level of the battery throughout the day, and plug it in as needed to keep the battery in a comfortable range. I never look at my iPhone and calculate if my "minutes of talk time" degrade over time.

I do the same thing with my Tesla. I keep an eye solely on the battery percentage and plug it in to bring it back to 70% (the level I keep it at for day to day driving). IMO, life is too short to stress about battery degradation.

Glad you're seeing an improvement OP.

I have the LFP batteries in my M3SR, and after only 4 months of ownership 100% SOC already shows a loss of 4 miles (from 272 to 268).

- I don't charge every night, so my battery gets plenty of deep sleep.
- I do charge to 100% when I charge, because LFP, and because Tesla says to.
- I have purposely run my battery pack down to 4 or 5 %, then charged to 100%, to "recalibrate the BCM".
- I still am losing range, but I'm not losing sleep over it, because the percentage charge still shows 100%.

That's pretty good. Fully charged it will always show 100 unless you're talking about something else. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they displayed diminishing battery capacity.

Reactions: Mechsmoto
Use the off peak charge setting (even if you don’t have off peak electric rates) so it doesn’t charge immediately when you plug in but will automatically finish charging before the morning.

If you are truly concerned about battery degradation then consider lowering your charge limit even further. Plenty of threads to read over about the low SoC charging strategy if you search for degradation or recommended charge level.

Quick summary is that the lowest degradation is keeping average charge level below ~55% if that works for you, if not then the lower the better. For example if you only use like 20% of battery per day, there is no need to charge to 80-90%.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I myself am guilty of the old battery degradation panic attack! Please don't worry, if you're suffering from something similar... I have a super simple and easy fix for you!!

I'm calling it a slightly enhance version of what you've probably already read... but with a modified procedure.

Common recommendation is to lower soc to below 10% and then charge to 100%... and allow to balance cells, and hopefully recalibrate the BMS. For me, this didn't work.

I did the above... reluctantly though, as we're not recommended to go super low on charge or super high. After doing that procedure, I actually saw a loss in range... and then really went down the rabbit hole frome there.

What I've come to find out... is I was following Teslas recommendationa to a T. I mean if you get home with less than 10% Tesla gives a warning you're risking permanent damage to the battery if you don't plug it in right away! So, after taking some time to reflect on my charging habits, I realized my car was either moving, or plugged in.

The issue with that, is that the BMS only ever gets one reading. Mine was always 90%... and then more recently 80% per Tesla recommendation... which only made me see the estimated miles moving lower and lower.

I was feeling super discouraged... and super pissed.... especially because I had to repurchase in Sept of 22 at maximum price due to my wife totalling my first one in April of 22. I hadn't had the same issue with my first car... and paid less with nearly half the apr in Sept of 21 on the first car.

I left it be for while... still seeing my miles decrease little by little. When I got to 221 at 80% SOC... then 218-219. I was determined to figure out what was really going on.

I started digging again, and this time I found a link in the comments of someone else's thread. Can't find it again for anything in the world. However, the info that link provided was incredible, and helped me discover what was actually wrong with my 22 M3P!!

Let me explain a bit more(I'm sorry for the book). As mentioned earlier, I had followed Tesla recommendations... always plugging in. I work for myself... So I never park anywhere for any amount of time. What this means is that the ONLY reading my cars BMS has ever gotten is at 90% SOC... followed by 80% SOC.

The car needs 3 hours minimum to take a reading!!! This is the key to the whole issue. You're not at the grocery store for 3 hours and even if you are... if sentry mode is on... your car isn't asleep!! It needs to be in deep sleep (simplified terms) to get a reading. It needs multiple readings at different states of charge to get a good estimate on true capacity!!!

I've only been following the steps for a not even a week. I was down to 70kwh according to energy screen calculations before starting my new charging routine. Showing 218-219 at 80% SOC. I'm already back up to 228 at 80% SOC and seeing a little over 73kwh using energy screen calculations!!!! It's 50° fahrenheit here too. I can only imagine warmer weather would show a bit more!!

My car is always charged at home via a 2 wall connector setup. So it's more less trickle charging at 24 amps. Ive only charge to 100% once... and drove off immediately... before it even had time to balance as I was paranoid of letting it sit at a high soc!! Lol!

It's very possible I could still have a cell imbalance that will need to be corrected at some point as well. But I'm purposely avoiding that for now... to see what BMS recalibration alone can do.

So for now, I'm simply getting different SOC readings.. 30 couple percent. 40 couple percent. Wherever it is when I get home... I leave it unplugged... set an alarm so I don't forget to go and plug it in for next day. But badda bing badda boom!!! I'm getting miles back instead to lose for first time since owning it!!!

Really hoping this will help someone else who's seeing the same!!

Keys points are

** Iffffff you are never parking anywhere other than home for longer than 3 hours with sentry mode off...

** Fix this by leaving car unplugged for 3 hours minimum when returning home prior to plugging in... at as many different SOC's as possible.

** Be sure your sentry mode is either off, or set to not work at home in the safety menu... as the whole reason for leaving it sit unplugged is to go into deep sleep... which is need for the BMS to get its readings!

*Within a week of the above... you should already see the miles start to climb!!
Perhaps I am missing it, but what in this first post is different from what is described in the first post of this 77 page thread on this topic?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Thank you to the OP for this informative post. I may give this a try.

According to the Stats for Tesla app, my 5 year old P3D with 44K miles shows a maximum range of 282 miles, which is about 9 percent degradation.

That said, I have an even simpler "fix". Just change your battery status indicator from miles to percentage. I now think of my Tesla much in the same way I think of my iPhone. With my iPhone, I monitor the percentage level of the battery throughout the day, and plug it in as needed to keep the battery in a comfortable range. I never look at my iPhone and calculate if my "minutes of talk time" degrade over time.

I do the same thing with my Tesla. I keep an eye solely on the battery percentage and plug it in to bring it back to 70% (the level I keep it at for day to day driving). IMO, life is too short to stress about battery degradation.
I'm with you on the set it to percentage and forget it concept! The way you explained via the iPhone SOC is outstanding as well!!! Life is waaay to short...for sure!

I think what I should have said in those 100 paragraphs above, was for anyone who has found themselves in a similar situation... there is a great chance it's BMS calibration(or the lack of a good BMS calibration) vs a huge loss in capacity due to actual degradation.

If anyone wants to see if that's the case for them. Allowing it to sit unplugged for a minimum of 3 hours at different states of charge... certainly won't hurt... and could fairly quickly (at least in my case) allow them to see the numbers going back up!! Which could only offer some sort of relief in everyway I can imagine it!!

From all the reading I've done on it... I honestly think most peoples panic comes from seeing the numbers only ever decrease.... vs what the actual numbers say if that makes any sense!?

Knowing the battery is $20k give or take to replace... seeing what appears to be it shrinking day by day is disheartening to say the least!

I knew 315 wouldn't happen in real world... I'm sure we all did!! But I also think we all expected it to be somewhere close. They've lowered daily limit to 80%. For me, leaving my house with 218 instead of that 315.. with the knowledge that the battery will degrade even over time... is kinda scary if you really think about it?

5 years of payments left on a car I've put 20k into in the last year ... only to be upside down on the loan anyway... AND possibly be down to 100 miles of projected range next year. If anyone's head doesn't melt on that.... more power to em!! 😂

Reactions: joebruin77
Perhaps I am missing it, but what in this first post is different from what is described in the first post of this 77 page thread on this topic?

From just a brief scan. OP there is not charging daily... using their example, they're only charging every 4 days. That's a much longer time for the car to be unplugged than 3 hours. I believe they're also mentioning leaving it at 95% state of charge occasionally, for a certain period of time.

All I'm suggesting to do... is leave it for 3 hours each time you get home if you haven't been. No magic potion, or 17 step process. Just simply wait 3 hours or more before you plug it in each day.

If you for example, happen to run the exact same distance each day, then the post you mentioned might be a better option for your use case scenario! Hope that makes sense! Promise I ONLY mean this post to help!!

For me, I'm always going a different distance and return home at a different SOC. So leaving it unplugged and waiting for it to get a reading has done the trick!!

Keys points are

Does it matter to plug in the car if you are not charging? Let's say I come home with low SOC, plugged in the car, but didn't start charging. Would this result in car going to deep sleep and make open cell voltage (OCV) measurement? I am guessing the answer is yes. In other words of asking: Does plugging in the car prevent it from going to deep sleep?

Does it matter to plug in the car if you are not charging? Let's say I come home with low SOC, plugged in the car, but didn't start charging. Would this result in car going to deep sleep and make open cell voltage (OCV) measurement? I am guessing the answer is yes. In other words of asking: Does plugging in the car prevent it from going to deep sleep?
This is an outstanding question!! I honestly don't know... 🤔. Hopefully someone who knows the answer can chime in to help!!

I know someone mentioned using the off peak settings a little further above.

I haven't done it that way just to be sure the care does deep sleep.

In meantime I'll do a little searching to see if I can find any info on it.