Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car hit a new low, -1.2%SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
SuperBowl Sunday, I took my nephew skiing for his 15th birthday, then rushed to make a 6pm Super Bowl party!

I drove about 140miles roundtrip. Started with 58% SOC, ended up with 10%. Not bad efficiency considering the temps.
IMG_2891.jpeg

Unfortunately, the game dragged on, and I stayed until 10pm, before deciding the last quarter was going to take at least another hour! I got in my car, and it showed a blue snowflake and about 3.3%SOC! The SOC level had dropped about 6.7% as the battery cooled off for 4hrs.

I had 7.2miles to go with 3.3% left in the freezing cold at night! I should be able to make it.

Made it home with -1.2% SOC. I passed zero about 3 miles from home. Even though I went slow and didn't turn on any heat, except my seat was on 1-bar; apparently, the car battery needed to do some conditioning, which used 0.8%.

I did wonder if I drove hard, would the waste heat from the inverter help warm the battery and unlock some of the frozen electrons. I wasn't too keen on testing the idea! My consolation was, if my car ran out a few miles from home, I could walk home, get my small 45lb inverter generator, walk it back on a dolly, and charge my car for an hour. Not ideal, but theoretically possible.

Maybe only interesting to me, but even though the charge limit was 60%, the next morning it showed 68%, adding 51kWh, and that 68% represented 210 EPA miles. Since the car dropped to 67% while I was sitting in it, I'll assume the actual SOC was around 67.6%, which rounded to 68% but then quickly dropped to 67%. That works out to 310 EPA miles still! So, no damage from going below zero SOC. Whew!
IMG_2901.jpeg
IMG_2902.jpeg

Made it home with -1.2% SOC. I passed zero about 3 miles from home. Even though I went slow and didn't turn on any heat, except my seat was on 1-bar; apparently, the car battery needed to do some conditioning, which used 0.8%.

I did wonder if I drove hard, would the waste heat from the inverter help warm the battery and unlock some of the frozen electrons. I wasn't too keen on testing the idea! My consolation was, if my car ran out a few miles from home, I could walk home, get my small 45lb inverter generator, walk it back on a dolly, and charge my car for an hour. Not ideal, but theoretically possible.

Maybe only interesting to me, but even though the charge limit was 60%, the next morning it showed 68%, adding 51kWh, and that 68% represented 210 EPA miles. Since the car dropped to 67% while I was sitting in it, I'll assume the actual SOC was around 67.6%, which rounded to 68% but then quickly dropped to 67%. That works out to 310 EPA miles still! So, no damage from going below zero SOC. Whew!
I don't know what the blue snowflake does to the numbers since I never see cold temperatures like that.
You were showing 0% on the battery, so I am wondering what it showed for miles if you switched it to miles?
The graph showed -1.2% which is about -3.7 miles for you. It would have been interesting to see what SMT would have shown in that case.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I don't know what the blue snowflake does to the numbers since I never see cold temperatures like that.
You were showing 0% on the battery, so I am wondering what it showed for miles if you switched it to miles?
The graph showed -1.2% which is about -3.7 miles for you. It would have been interesting to see what SMT would have shown in that case.
Haha, no I didn't think of doing any of that, since I was panicking, and just trying to be so careful with the throttle!

• Informative
Reactions: ran349