Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased battery SOC and limited regen braking/regen dots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know at what SOC the regen braking is limited, and the car starts displaying the dots on the left hand side?

I normally charge my 2021 M3P overnight to 55% SOC, as advised on this forum, and even in cold weather I haven't noticed the regen being limited or noticed any dots being displayed on the left hand side of the display.

On Saturday I decided to charge to 80% to see if I could notice the increase in power at higher speeds compared to my normal lower charge level of 55%.

Today I used the car on 2 fairly short journeys and noticed the regen braking was significantly limited, especially when leaving the motorway at the same speed I normally do, and had to brake quite heavily using the friction brakes where I normally just use the regen braking. The car displayed 13 dots on the left hand side of the power meter. The outside temperature was quite mild at 10 degrees celcius.

I realised how much I enjoy using the regen and how used to it I have become!

Has anyone tested charging the car to different SOC levels and noticed at what SOC the regen is limited?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219_205753_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219_205753_Photos.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 30
Limitations on regen are based upon the state of charge as well as the temperature. So there's no set anything.

So that suggests that in the AM, when you just unplugged and the temperature is lower, that you have a much higher chance of limited regen. If you were to take it off the charger in the afternoon, it would be a lower chance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex