Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Recell Launches Groundbreaking Remanufactured Battery Packs for Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, less than 5% of the packs that we remanufacture meet our certification criteria for 250 miles or more, and only about 15-20% meet our criteria for 240 miles or more, so we supplement with 85 kWh and 90 kWh module packs as needed to meet demand.

The 210+ is on the other hand our most popular pack, and we have a steady supply available for our customers and service partners, ready to ship anywhere in the country.

Last edited:
Will you do upgrades 75 to a 90 or 100?

While we certainly can if a customer requests it, the reality is somewhat different. While a pack upgrade sounds compelling, it isn't very cost effective, especially if your current battery pack is still working. Currently at least, 90 and 100 kWh packs need to be sourced individually, and that usually means from a salvage car that may have been in an accident or written off by an insurance company. And even from a salvage yard, 90 and 100 kWh packs are still very expensive - for what still amounts to a used battery pack...

When all is said and done, it's usually far more cost effective to continue using your existing battery pack until it reaches the end of its useful life and then replace it with either a remanufactured pack from Recell or a new battery pack direct from Tesla.

Last edited:
I have kind of the opposite question. I have a 90. If that failed and I got an RC 240+ from you would there be a discount?

We’ll have more on our replacement program for 90-kWh packs as they come off warranty in about a year or so, but currently, the pricing on our packs are the same, whether your malfunctioning pack is an 85 or 90.

Last edited:
While we certainly can if a customer requests it, the reality is somewhat different. While a pack upgrade sounds compelling, it isn't very cost effective, especially if your current battery pack is still working. 90 and 100 kWh packs need to be sourced individually, and that usually means from a salvage car that may have been in an accident or written off by an insurance company. And even from a salvage yard, 90 and 100 kWh packs are still very expensive - for what still amounts to a used battery pack...
When all is said and done, it's usually far more cost effective to continue using your existing battery pack until it reaches the end of its useful life and then replace it with either a remanufactured pack from Recell or a new battery pack direct from Tesla.
Do the new (not reman) Tesla 85/90 kWh have 14 or 16 modules? My out of warranty replacement is a 2022 build.

PLEASE post supercharging graphs/videos for your products, Kw vs SOC is needed. I have a 13' P85+ with a weak module, it only gets 82kw max at supercharging, if these recell packs get higher than 100kw and hold it for longer it would give me a lot more incentive to buy.

Thanks!

Reactions: Anthony R.
Are you getting any error messages?
Not yet with regard to "Maximum Charge Level Reduced". However when pushing the car hard it will sometimes shutdown with "BMS_f018_SW_Brick_UV" which I assume is caused by voltage under 2.5v. Scan my tesla shows multiple weak cells that get to 2.5v under acceleration while other cells reading 3.3v. 100% SOC charge is 198mi, 127k mi ODO.

They are just refurbished Tesla packs, so you would still be at the mercy of the Tesla BMS system.
I assume my BMS board is not swapped to the new reman pack? Wouldn't a reman pack unlock more supercharging speed for older cars like the newer/reman 90kwh Tesla packs do? When swapped it seems the older cars can only go up to 115kw due to wire guage Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

I assume my BMS board is not swapped to the new reman pack?
No, but their reman could be the same age/type of pack that you currently have. (Unless I misunderstand something.)

Wouldn't a reman pack unlock more supercharging speed for older cars like the newer/reman 90kwh Tesla packs do? When swapped it seems the older cars can only go up to 115kw due to wire guage Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S
Part of the limit is the HVJB, charge port, and wiring in the car. That isn't going to change with a pack swap.

The new 14 module 85/90kWh packs Tesla has are an entirely different design, and I doubt that Recell has any of them available to remanufacture and provide. (They are all still under warranty.)

Not yet with regard to "Maximum Charge Level Reduced". However when pushing the car hard it will sometimes shutdown with "BMS_f018_SW_Brick_UV" which I assume is caused by voltage under 2.5v. Scan my tesla shows multiple weak cells that get to 2.5v under acceleration while other cells reading 3.3v. 100% SOC charge is 198mi, 127k mi ODO.
Thx. Wasn't sure if you became a BMS_U029 casualty.

PLEASE post supercharging graphs/videos for your products, Kw vs SOC is needed. I have a 13' P85+ with a weak module, it only gets 82kw max at supercharging, if these recell packs get higher than 100kw and hold it for longer it would give me a lot more incentive to buy.

Thanks!
As others have stated, they are re-manufactured packs, so it's entirely possible to get one as old or older and you are at the mercy of Tesla. I do have a 2012 p85 waiting to get picked up by the trucking company to go to Recell, so I can report back in a couple weeks what the charge rate is. Given it appears original battery in the p85, it should be an "A" pack, which was factory limited from new to about 90 kW. The B packs were bumped up to around 115 kW I think or so. So I'm expecting better rates regardless.

As others have stated, they are re-manufactured packs, so it's entirely possible to get one as old or older and you are at the mercy of Tesla. I do have a 2012 p85 waiting to get picked up by the trucking company to go to Recell, so I can report back in a couple weeks what the charge rate is. Given it appears original battery in the p85, it should be an "A" pack, which was factory limited from new to about 90 kW. The B packs were bumped up to around 115 kW I think or so. So I'm expecting better rates regardless.
Why are you having to get a new pack? Any error codes?

Why are you having to get a new pack? Any error codes?
Yes, a bunch of error codes. I actually purchased it with the HV pack not properly functioning. Seller has another Tesla, I think Model 3, and a Model Y on the way very soon, so make space. My old 2013 MS with a 60 pack failed back in 2014, it had the main contactor problem, where the main high voltage contactors weren't, I think, living up to their rating. So got a replacement pack for that car, but traded that one in beginning of 2016 for my Model S 90D. Had almost exactly 80k miles when I traded in.

Reactions: NV Ray