Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some new data from research on Tesla model 3 cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has recently been released a series of new research reports containing tests on Tesla Model 3 Cells (Panasonic 2170 NCA).
This is the calendar aging test from one of them (25C, 15, 50 and 85% SOC. Checkup once a month):
Using the datapoints from these and putting them in the old charts I ususally post, these match the olds ones quite good. As there is only three points, it do not show the real form of the curve, but all three points match the usual graphs.
IMG_1736.jpeg

For the cyclic tests, they did use rather high currents, not really respresentative to normal EV use. (To the researchers defense, the currents used is sort of the most EV-battery manufacturers current in the specifications but still not close to the regulkar EV usage).
Charged with 0.33C which would match about a 25kW DC charger, or double to four times the usual rate EV owners use mostly. Probably not offsetting the result much, but to be clear this is how it was done.

Discharged with 1C, which would be 78kW, about enough to drive constant at 200kph. This is way above the average power used from a regular EV. Driving at higway speeds at 120kph/80mph or so, we normally use like 1/4 of that power.
The average car often has a average speed longterm of about 50-60kph, meaning we often use 1/8-1/4 of the power in these cyclic tests.
From other tests we can se that lower power reduce the wear, the degradation often reduces to somewhere down to 0.5-0.7C.

In this report the author was a bit surprised over the increased wear at 5-15% SOC and 15-25% SOC. I would say that it it a very high probability of that this is induced by the 1C discharge rate, and that our normal power rates used IRL would make this look different. This is nothing I can promise but from several other research tests we can see that there ususally is a tendency to slightly increase the cyclic degradation at the lowest SOC ranges.

According to this chart, the best cycling range is 55 % down to 35%( see note below about true SOC).

Note: These are “True SOC”. 0% in this chart is where the car already has stopped, and 5% in-chart is about 0% displayed and 55% in-chart is is about 57% displayed.
IMG_1735.jpeg

As I said above, there is a high probability that the low SOC range wear much less with a lower C-rate. Anyway, due to the high impact of calendar aging we most certainly benefit from staying low in SOC.

For the first two years, we would loose about 9-9.5% from calendar aging if staying at high SOC.
During these two years, if we drive 15-20K km annually (10-15Kmiles), and stay in the very low regime cycling (5-25% true SOC, thats 0-20% displayed SOC) we would loose about 1% from ~ 75-100 FCE cycles during these two years/30-40K km.

IRL its not possible to stay that low in SOC without actively stopping the charging, as 50% is the lowest setting (but for reference to low /high SOC).

To reach the same level of cyclic degradation from low SOC cycling according to the chart we would need about 700FCE, or about 280K km, but that is not really possible to do and at the same time stay at 5-25% SOC.

So, a car charged to 80-90%, and used as most EV’s is used, will mostly be above 55% SOC and have a calendar aging close to the 85% graph.
After two years, it will be around 10% degradation if the average cell temp is about 25C.

If the car was charged to 50-55% it would have a calendar aging around 6%, and the cyclic aging would be half the high SOC car, so more or less negligeble.

Link to one report

[Edit]For what its worth, if someone is worried about the low SOC below 20% (I am not, but I’m aware of the classic forum rumors), charging to 50-55% and charging for the daily drives at or above 20% (not talking longer traveling here) all aspect of this report if ticked-in-the-box.

I will not change any of my charging behavior because of this report. There is from time to time small differences in the reports and usually the reason for that can be found by thorougly comparing with other tests. We need much more than one report to state a “fact”.

Last edited:
Comment to AAKE: I sincerely think that a part of the apparant Calendar Aging capacity loss at SoC above 55-60% is Recoverable Anode Overhang Capacity Loss. I base that on the potential needed to produce Overhang Capacity loss is just at the same voltages where the dramatic stuff happens.
From the sum of what I have read it is increased SEI build up that cause the calendar aging (also) above the cebtral graphite peak.
So long term I would not think that it is recoverable.
All data and degradation from for example model 3’s seem to indicate more or less exactly the calendar aging loss as per the research data. If it was recoverable to a greater extent we should seecars that did use higher SOC with lower degradation but we do not.

Also, using for example 60% with the batteries that has the peak at 57% will increase the calendar aging, but the loss of cycleble lithium to SEI in that case ”Eats” capacity above the peak, which causes a shift of the 57% peak to move upwards, and when the loss is 5%, the peak will be at 60% SOC. (It moves upwards from calendar aging, but it moves downwards from lithium plating/fast charging.

I am convinced that Peter did not know this and he is excused, because Anode Overhang recovery was discovered/analyzed AFTER he produced his thesis.
Yes.
I sincerely hope that some of the recently documented Calendar Aging of SiliconDoped 2170 at 80% is as well recoverable, else the new Tesla recommandation to use 80% for Daily Commute could prove a bad strategy :)

I’m sure Tesla knows this and Im quite sure no of the recommendations Tesla gives is to minimize degradation.

Tesla most certainly do try to have the least limitations on the car.
For the scope to be the manufacturer that changes the world from ICE’s to EV’s, it would be wise to not have very many limitations.
So the the Tesla scope would be to offer a car with a minimum of limitations which still will cause a minimum of battery failing within the warranty period. This still with the same recommendations all over the world in different climate zones.

The resent change from ”below 90%” to 80% or below will no make a big difference in degradation over 8 years. Calendar aging is about the same, exept for extremely warm climates where the there is or
might be a slightl difference for 80%.

High SOC causes a higher rate of internal resistance, it is possible that this is the reason for the change. But I would guess that any such change would have happened long time ago and that this is just a adaptation to having 80% as the normal maximum at supercharging stations and that many other manufacturers use 80% as the daily recommendation.

I am not sure how TeslaMate derives those capacity numbers but they are incorrect. The 70D started at 68.88 kWh nominal full pack with a 4.0 kWh buffer.
So usable new was 64.88 kWh. My verification of this is from TM-Spy which is CANBUS data, the same as SMT.

However, rated range is calculated using nominal full pack so things can be very confusing regarding the numbers.

TeslaMate has no table of 'Nominal Capacity'

The TeslaMate starting capacity is from the day that TeslaMate first calculated the 100% capacity, which was June 12 2021 for my car, so the 1,3% degradation is after that date. And a totally fair calculation based on what the Car reports.

ScanMyTesla reports 65,1 kWh Nominal and TeslaMate reports 65,2 'Semi Usable'so not all that bad.

BTW, the initial 68,8 kWh was 71,2 kWh minus the original buffer of 2,4kWh for 350V cars (4kWh for 400V cars). As the buffer is now 4kWh (see SMT), it could be more correct to compare with 71,2kWh minus 4kWh or 67.8kWh. But as Nominal is capcity INCLUDING buffer the comparisons don't really makes sense.

High SOC causes a higher rate of internal resistance, it is possible that this is the reason for the change. But I would guess that any such change would have happened long time ago and that this is just a adaptation to having 80% as the normal maximum at supercharging stations and that many other manufacturers use 80% as the daily recommendation.

Yes, the probably most imprtant benefit from 'staying low' is to avoid the internal resistance growth from high SoC!

I think one of the best graphs (although NMC and not NCA) is Jeff Dahns graph from his YouTube Longevity video. I think the internal resitance graph is dramatic, factor 1, for below 4,07V and factor +2 for 4.2V.

1710515535615.png

And BTW: For my Car (Model S 70D) at 80.4% SoC the max cell voltage is only 4.006V, so Tesla' 80% is below the Jeff Dahn example with 4,07V :)

1710516136264.png

Reactions: randall_s
Yes, the probably most imprtant benefit from 'staying low' is to avoid the internal resistance growth from high SoC!

I think one of the best graphs (although NMC and not NCA) is Jeff Dahns graph from his YouTube Longevity video. I think the internal resitance graph is dramatic, factor 1, for below 4,07V and factor +2 for 4.2V.

View attachment 1028294

And BTW: For my Car (Model S 70D) at 80.4% SoC the max cell voltage is only 4.006V, so Tesla' 80% is below the Jeff Dahn example with 4,07V :)

View attachment 1028303
But the Solid Interphase growth at higher SOC causes hogher calendar aging.

To cut the calendar aging in half you should have the battery at or below 57% SOC (which is about 55% displayed).

For a car as yours that has been here for a while calendar aging is nit as high as for a new car. Anyway, the calendar aging is half at or below 55% displayed SOC.

This is about the average from a lot of research, so kind of ”valid” for NCA chemistry. As it seems from real lufe examples, it still valid for the latest teslas with NCA chemistry.
IMG_4553.jpeg

From the sum of what I have read it is increased SEI build up that cause the calendar aging (also) above the cebtral graphite peak.
So long term I would not think that it is recoverable.
My comment to Mr Keil's thesis on 18650 Panasonic cells, is that he newer followed up on the effect of resting the High SoC cells at a low SoC, to test whether Anode Overhang Recovery would take place.

This paper tries to separate the Irreversible Calendar Aging from the possibly recoverable Anode Overhang. It is likely not a dramatic portion, because the very same paper reports that Homogenity increase late in the aging tests. But they do 'conclude' that that:
'Regarding the influence of the anode overhang on the capacity fade in the order of seven percent points, the purpose of a simple end-of-life criterion of e.g. 80% is questionable.'

It is some of the same guys that found this dramatic Recovery at low SoC (P5 = 9% SoC) after cycling +/-6% at high SoC (P1 == 80%) SoC.
1710519545128.png

It is assumed that each charging moves moves Ions out in the overhang more rapidly than do just idleing at the SoC, so th eeffect i very dramatic in the constant cycling at high SoC, Results for P1 = 80%, P2= 65%, P3 = 42%, P4 = 19%, P5 = 9%
1710519798776.jpeg
All stolen from:
'Investigation of capacity recovery during rest period at different states-ofcharge after cycle life test for prismatic Li(Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3)O2-graphite cellsMeinert Lewerenza,b,⁎, Philipp Dechenta,b, Dirk Uwe Sauera,b,c'

I theorise, that the classic Calendar Aging Tests might report some of the Overhang Loss as caused by the aging.

Reactions: AAKEE
But the Solid Interphase growth at higher SOC causes hogher calendar aging.

To cut the calendar aging in half you should have the battery at or below 57% SOC (which is about 55% displayed).

For a car as yours that has been here for a while calendar aging is nit as high as for a new car. Anyway, the calendar aging is half at or below 55% displayed SOC.

This is about the average from a lot of research, so kind of ”valid” for NCA chemistry. As it seems from real lufe examples, it still valid for the latest teslas with NCA chemistry.
View attachment 1028319

I don't disagree!

I have used that very same Peter Keil graph since 2016, to decide that whenever possible, my Model S 70D should always be parked below 55% Shown Capacity :)

So my ChargeLevel looks like this historically (from TeslaMate and the last year, all the long parking periods are below 50% and all the high SoC spikes are utterly short in duration):
1710520837607.png

I did the same from 2016 to 2021 and that caused my Projected Ideal Range to degrade as follows (Data exported from a Danish Cloud Based Logger named LinkMyTesla):
1710520925668.png

(PS: The sudden drop in Range in April 2016, was when Tesla changed the Typical/Ideal Wh/km from 189Wh/km to 190Wh/km :))

Last edited:
ScanMyTesla reports 65,1 kWh Nominal and TeslaMate reports 65,2 'Semi Usable'so not all that bad.

BTW, the initial 68,8 kWh was 71,2 kWh minus the original buffer of 2,4kWh for 350V cars (4kWh for 400V cars). As the buffer is now 4kWh (see SMT), it could be more correct to compare with 71,2kWh minus 4kWh or 67.8kWh. But as Nominal is capcity INCLUDING buffer the comparisons don't really makes sense.
My car (70D) I bought new in 2015, and it always had a 4.0 kWh buffer. I am not sure where the idea of a lower buffer of 2.4 came from but I think maybe the 60 kWh cars did have a smaller buffer. But the 70 cars always had 4.0 kWh.

Is your battery the original? That is very little degradation for you car if your battery is the original one.
As a comparison to mine, I have only about 56 kWh nomimal full pack left on my battery unless the BMS is hiding something from me. But at least my battery is still working almost 1 year past the warranty expiration.

Does TeslaMate give the raw data readings from the car? I have a 3rd party app that uses the API and I can get the rated miles readings to 2 decimal places which makes it very easy to calculate the exact constant when you also have SMT CANBUS to get the nominal full pack and SOC exact values.

I don't disagree!

I did’nt think you did :)
I have used that very same Peter Keil graph since 2016, to decide that whenever possible, my Model S 70D should always be parked below 55% Shown Capacity :)
Its nice to see someone else that did come to these findings for themself, and also to see that these conclusions results in the same low degradation as I see. In your case a much more long term proof of it!

I think Jeff Dahn knows what he is talking about, but at least for me the almost sole focus on cycles is a bit strange.
If we only focused on cycles, the car or the battery would be dead about the same day as cycles start to have a comparable annual degradation as the calendar aging ;)

Reactions: DrChaos
I think Jeff Dahn knows what he is talking about, but at least for me the almost sole focus on cycles is a bit strange.
It's much easier to test in the lab, and it's important for energy storage and commercial use.

I think it shows that a NMC battery used up to 75% is as good as LFP for cyclic aging---and has 25% more peak capacity for occasional bursts. So for energy storage they could use 75% for daily use and unlock the peak for the few days of peak demand when prices are really high.

If we only focused on cycles, the car or the battery would be dead about the same day as cycles start to have a comparable annual degradation as the calendar aging ;)
He probably doesn't yet have a lab setup designed for calendar aging studies. It's a pain with expensive temperature controlled equipment taking up space and nothing happening for months or years. And then you find you needed to test in a different way or different condition. You can do a cycle in 2 hours so 12 cycles per day.

His prominence was his labs early attention to extremely detailed and well controlled coulomb counting during charging and connection of data to the theory.

My comment to Mr Keil's thesis on 18650 Panasonic cells, is that he newer followed up on the effect of resting the High SoC cells at a low SoC, to test whether Anode Overhang Recovery would take place.

This paper tries to separate the Irreversible Calendar Aging from the possibly recoverable Anode Overhang. It is likely not a dramatic portion, because the very same paper reports that Homogenity increase late in the aging tests. But they do 'conclude' that that:
'Regarding the influence of the anode overhang on the capacity fade in the order of seven percent points, the purpose of a simple end-of-life criterion of e.g. 80% is questionable.'

It is some of the same guys that found this dramatic Recovery at low SoC (P5 = 9% SoC) after cycling +/-6% at high SoC (P1 == 80%) SoC.
View attachment 1028320

It is assumed that each charging moves moves Ions out in the overhang more rapidly than do just idleing at the SoC, so th eeffect i very dramatic in the constant cycling at high SoC, Results for P1 = 80%, P2= 65%, P3 = 42%, P4 = 19%, P5 = 9%
View attachment 1028329All stolen from:
'Investigation of capacity recovery during rest period at different states-ofcharge after cycle life test for prismatic Li(Ni1/3Mn1/3Co1/3)O2-graphite cellsMeinert Lewerenza,b,⁎, Philipp Dechenta,b, Dirk Uwe Sauera,b,c'

I theorise, that the classic Calendar Aging Tests might report some of the Overhang Loss as caused by the aging.
I think that is mechanistically possibly explaining the origin of the empirical aging ~ sqrt(time) behavior, perhaps a mixture of a few different chemical mechanisms at once. SEI formation: bad (irreversible lithium loss) + Increasing homogeneity (good).

you can get full text here: https://www.researchgate.net/public...rsible_capacity_loss_caused_by_anode_overhang

But also if you believe what's happening in there, it does seem like long term capacity loss from SEI formation (after homogeneity effects have stopped changing) will unfortunately be linear with time---which makes sense for a chemical reaction rate that doesn't depend on how much has already been deposited. And that's where low temperature and low SOC will matter.

Maybe every once in a while you should do a big cycle to increase homogeneity?

Last edited:
Did you read this: Link ?

It is not very deep going into the recovery effect, but at least the coupling between the anode overhang and the recovery effect is discussed.

The amount of recovery was never disclosed.

I see that both my former M3P and the MSP i have today show a decline in nominal full pack when I have a period of charging to higher SOC (always just before the drive) and several supercharging sessions.
The cars might have lost about 1% capacity according to the BMS Nominal full pack, but that value recovers when using my standard low SOC again. As it seems cycling the pack at low SOC is the thing that makes it recover capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Battery.JPG
Thanks for your post and detailed comments. Here's real world data for my 2022 M3 LR 77.8 KWH NCA battery. I use it for my daily 30-35 miles; charge to 50 or 60% at 3.6 KW daily. Only 2X1500 mile trips using superchargers. The car + battery live a pretty charmed life; stored outside in Huntsville Alabama. I always precondition before leaving in the morning if the temperature is below 50F. Rarely floor it. I get my battery information from Tessie. The car has about 17K miles and it's not looking good for the battery - the projection is I'll hit 30% degradation at 40K miles. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

View attachment 1029081Thanks for your post and detailed comments. Here's real world data for my 2022 M3 LR 77.8 KWH NCA battery. I use it for my daily 30-35 miles; charge to 50 or 60% at 3.6 KW daily. Only 2X1500 mile trips using superchargers. The car + battery live a pretty charmed life; stored outside in Huntsville Alabama. I always precondition before leaving in the morning if the temperature is below 50F. Rarely floor it. I get my battery information from Tessie. The car has about 17K miles and it's not looking good for the battery - the projection is I'll hit 30% degradation at 40K miles. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
30% degradation at 40k miles? No way

View attachment 1029081Thanks for your post and detailed comments. Here's real world data for my 2022 M3 LR 77.8 KWH NCA battery. I use it for my daily 30-35 miles; charge to 50 or 60% at 3.6 KW daily. Only 2X1500 mile trips using superchargers. The car + battery live a pretty charmed life; stored outside in Huntsville Alabama. I always precondition before leaving in the morning if the temperature is below 50F. Rarely floor it. I get my battery information from Tessie. The car has about 17K miles and it's not looking good for the battery - the projection is I'll hit 30% degradation at 40K miles. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Ah, the wonders of curve fitting.

Better to use a physical model, when possible.

For example, your battery certainly did not gain energy from 0 to 6000 miles. That's not physical (yes, batteries do gain capacity on the first few charges or whatever, but that's not what is happening above).

Also the 2022 Model 3 LR has an 82.1kWh FPWN (around 80-81kWh when new).

You can see you were above the degradation threshold until around 6000 miles.

If you got rid of that artificial capping your curve fit would look different (but still be wrong).

My car (70D) I bought new in 2015, and it always had a 4.0 kWh buffer. I am not sure where the idea of a lower buffer of 2.4 came from but I think maybe the 60 kWh cars did have a smaller buffer. But the 70 cars always had 4.0 kWh.

Is your battery the original? That is very little degradation for you car if your battery is the original one.
As a comparison to mine, I have only about 56 kWh nomimal full pack left on my battery unless the BMS is hiding something from me. But at least my battery is still working almost 1 year past the warranty expiration.

Does TeslaMate give the raw data readings from the car? I have a 3rd party app that uses the API and I can get the rated miles readings to 2 decimal places which makes it very easy to calculate the exact constant when you also have SMT CANBUS to get the nominal full pack and SOC exact values.

A: My battery is original and the 2,4 kWh buffer is actually from Jason, whom is cited here:

Brutto 71,2 kWh, Netto 68,8 kWh :)

B: SMT reports 64,9-65,2kWh nominal and 4kWh buffer. Matches totally TeslaMate Projected range of kWh Nominal / 0,190 kWh/km

C: Bear in mind that I:
- Live in Denmark with tempeaatures above, but often near 0 degree celsius
- Only have done 94.000 km
- Have cycled 'optimal' < 65% Daily + < 72% on trips
- Have almost always long time parked at below 55%.(NCA)
- Have very little DC charging

I think it is important to recap, that my daily commute and range to nearby hospital trauma centers and . . . has allowed me to do all above 'good' things without any real sacrifices :)

My 6 years old Goolge Pixel 2 XL Android has 91% capacity left, My 10 Yesra old Lenovo W510, which was always left at 100% SoC, has battery with less than 60% Capacity now, my 6 year old Lenovo W520, which was limited to 55% SoC from day one, has 98% Capacity (latter does not degrade at all, so likely it needs some Full cycles to properly report capacity :) )

Last edited:
Did you read this: Link ?

It is not very deep going into the recovery effect, but at least the coupling between the anode overhang and the recovery effect is discussed.

The amount of recovery was never disclosed.

I see that both my former M3P and the MSP i have today show a decline in nominal full pack when I have a period of charging to higher SOC (always just before the drive) and several supercharging sessions.
The cars might have lost about 1% capacity according to the BMS Nominal full pack, but that value recovers when using my standard low SOC again. As it seems cycling the pack at low SOC is the thing that makes it recover capacity.
Yes, I read that!

And Peter DID mention the Anode Overhang Effect:
'The mechanism that leads to the recovery of cyclable lithium was described by Gyenes et al. [197]and Lewerenz et al. [198]. Overhang areas of the anode, which face no cathode counterpart, can become a location of inaccessible lithium. Due to potential gradients between the active areas, which face a cathode counterpart, and the overhang areas, lithium can diffuse into overhang areas and become inaccessible for the regular charge-discharge cycling.'

I, at that time, concluded that the Anode Overhang Capacity Restoration after Aging at High Soc are not really/ideally revealed by Peters Paper.
Peter only shows that there is a slight Recovery from Resting and a Slight Recovery from Testing Capacity (Which involves Cycling 100%) . I would like a true/planned recovery from planned resting at a very low SoC. (Above is from my recall of th ePaper, I will read it again soon :))

I am ofcourse aware that the Recovery Effect cannot be 5% as it is in the Recovery After Cycling Paper that I reference, if we assume that it is overpotential at Charging that severely migrates ions to the Anode Overhang. And for Peter's Aging tests, that Charging was ONLY peformed one time.

1710868107068.png