Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tire Repair Kit details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other tidbit .... I was looking closely at the rim / tire area and just suggest if you are driving, and the tire warning lights up, that you stop immediately. I am certain that once the tire goes flat, the rim will be ruined if driven on for any length of time.

The tire will be ruined (and likely your fender as well) long before the wheel has a problem.

Received this kit today (gotta love Amazon Prime). The kit is smaller and lighter weight than I would have expected. The case is about 12"x10"x5" in diameter and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that there was hook-side Velcro on the side of the case. So I put it in the furthest back part of the frunk and the hooks latch securely to the carpet so it won't slide around at all! I feel a bit more confident already just having it handy...hope it never sees any use...at least not on my car.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

The Safety Manual says
As an option, you can purchase a tire repair kit from Tesla (this kit is included only if you purchased your Model S in Maryland or Rhode Island). This kit is designed to temporarily repair a small tire puncture just long enough for you to drive slowly to the nearest tire repair location. Follow the instructions provided on the kit and observe all warnings.

WARNING: Do not use any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant other than a tire repair kit purchased as an accessory from Tesla. Other types can cause tire pressure sensors to malfunction.

So a couple of questions come to mind:
  1. If it's an option, why can't I order it with the car?
  2. What other brands of sealants are guaranteed not to cause tire pressure sensors to malfunction?

I have a Viair 90P compressor for my Leaf and just wanted to warn you that the 88P and the 90P require a direct connection to the battery. The 88P's maximum current draw is 19 amps (source) which would overdraw the Model S cigarette lighter socket (fused at 15 amps). And given the issues that people have been having with getting access to the Model S 12V battery lug nuts, may be easier to just call roadside assistance or look for a lower powered air compressor (may take longer to fill but may be easier to use).

That's why I picked up the VIAIR 70P - it pulls 14 amps.

Found a not so nice surprise today while cleaning the car. I think it's too close to the sidewall to be repaired and have scheduled an appointment to get a new tire. I tried using the Tesla repair kit just to see if it would slow the leak, but it didn't help.
Anyone think its worth trying to get repaired before replacing?
IMG_1801.jpg

The Tesla tire repair kit I brought from Tesla looks remarkably like the one offer by Amazon:

Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt : Amazon.com : Automotive

I can not recall seeing any Tesla literature that mentions there is no spare tire with the car nor a jack, not even a funky mini spare tire designed to get one to a service station at <50 mph. It only dawned on me that I have no spare when I saw the tire repair kit in Tesla's catalog. At the very least TMC should at least indicate somewhere in BOLD type there is no spare and with a puncture one is SOL.

Last edited:
Re: the Griot Tire Kit: I think the MS is rated at 15 amps , so it should be OK, right?

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your question about our Tire Repair Kit with the 12 Volt Air Compressor. The compressor has a current draw of 14.5 amps so you will want to make sure the auxiliary port or cigarette lighter is rated at a minimum of 14.5 amp draw for use with this compressor.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply to this email or call our Customer Service Department at (800) 345-5789 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. PST Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday.

Thank you again for your e-mail, and have a great day!

Have fun in your garage!