Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tire Repair Kit same as Slime Tire Repair Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to also take into account:
If you use slime (foam or not), you have to replace that tyre. It cannot be repaired,
Secondly - consider the damage you may cause to the TPMS sensor inside the tyre if you use slime - these aren't cheap either.
Actually you can still repair it, but shops may refuse to do so, as they need to clean up the mess first. Tires that are not subject to slime are much easier to fix.

So let's assume you used slime.
(a) it works well enough to get you to the nearest tire mechanic?
(b) This particular mechanic/shop doesn't clear slime?
(c) Your forced to buy whatever limited choice they offer you - at 'their' prices?
(d) Mechanic tells you that the TPMS is f**cked but they just happen to have one that is compatible for your car and you are forced to buy this too?

So what started out as a nail in a tire which, if it was repaired without any duress (IE: under your control and in your own time) - costs peanuts. ends up costing $300 - $400, minimum.
Hmmm.

So let's assume you used slime.
(a) it works well enough to get you to the nearest tire mechanic?
(b) This particular mechanic/shop doesn't clear slime?
(c) Your forced to buy whatever limited choice they offer you - at 'their' prices?
(d) Mechanic tells you that the TPMS is f**cked but they just happen to have one that is compatible for your car and you are forced to buy this too?

So what started out as a nail in a tire which, if it was repaired without any duress (IE: under your control and in your own time) - costs peanuts. ends up costing $300 - $400, minimum.
Hmmm.
A flat tire is not free by any measure. And if it happens many hours away from a tow .... well just do the best that can be done to get back on the road as quick as can be.

I can confirm that the Tesla Tire repair kit is useless with the foam filled tires. I had a flat tire on the highway (~60 miles from the closest town). First, the sealant side would not work. A little bit of research online showed this is a known issue - use a small aluminum piece to connect the metal plates. Once I was able to do that, I pumped the sealant into the tire. When the bottle was empty, I removed and tried filling up air - no luck! Not even a single psi. I had to get my car towed to the nearest Tesla service center (~54 miles away). When I arrived there, the service advisor said the foam material absorbed all the sealant and hence it did not work. What's worse - since the physical integrity of the foam could be compromised and so they had to remove the entire layer; just in case it comes loose and starts rattling inside the tire.

5 hours, $122 later I'm traumatized and worried when the next incident might happen. Basically, it's a stupid design that will cost Tesla owners a sh*t ton of money. My tires only have ~3000 miles on it. But I'm already debating about getting them replaced with non-foam. Stupid Tesla designers.
Just get an old school tire repair kit for $15. I've plugged 3 Tesla tires in my 4 years of ownership. Works like a charm until it's time to get new tires.

Lucky you - how on earth you locate the puncture at the side of the road, in the dark, on your own - so you can plug the hole beggars belief?
And then how much would you trust a plugged tyre at speed in future.?
Surely you repair it (plug) and get to the tyre depot soonest to put a proper new tyre on.

• Disagree
Reactions: Iron
Lucky you - how on earth you locate the puncture at the side of the road, in the dark, on your own - so you can plug the hole beggars belief?
And then how much would you trust a plugged tyre at speed in future.?
Surely you repair it (plug) and get to the tyre depot soonest to put a proper new tyre on.
Most situations it's not that dramatic. That's also why I personally keep a jack in the car too, even when using a plug kit, given that allows jacking up the car to more easily locate the puncture (including unmounting the wheel from the car if necessary). My tire compressor has a light on it too for use in the dark.

If conditions are too bad, then call roadside. But the plug kit gives you more options.

Plugged tires can last the whole remaining life of the tire if done properly. With a TPMS it's much safer given you will get a warning if it leaks.

I’ve done quite a few plug repairs at the side of the road over the last couple decades. Most of the time on my way in 10-15 min. 95% of the time it was done without having to remove the tire, or jack up the car, at all. Plugs lasted until I either sold / traded the car or bought new tires tens of thousands of miles later.

This is a pretty common situation for me (2 photos):

Reactions: Iron
And how do you get a jack under an M3 with a flat??
Didn't you just participate in that other thread that mentioned a ton of options:
1) Use a conventional scissor jack with a adapter. Use a ramp (can simply be a block of wood) and chock (to prevent slipping) to get car higher for jack to fit. Optionally have plywood under the jack for a more stable base.

2) Use a low profile scissor jack that can fit under without needing a ramp

3) Use a low profile floor jack that can fit under without needing a ramp

As others mentioned, many times you can use the plug kit without needing to jack up the car, especially if the puncture is on the front tire.

Stopcrazy - I asked 'him' how he did it (having done it successfully 4 times before.
I know how I would do it (have done it).
Who's him? Your comment didn't reply to anyone or refer to anyone in particular, so it seemed to just be a general comment.

Note to actually get into someone's notifications, you have to at least reply to their comment with quote (as I did to your's above) or @ them. For example: @zoros

I only see the comments here because I have a habit of checking updates on "Threads with your posts" under the Find threads section, but most people don't do that.

ODWms - good luck with that!
A tire seller who does not recommend plugs.... didn't see that one coming. :)

"Make sure your tire passes the penny test before you even thinking of plugging it. If it doesn’t pass the test, then it’s probably time for a new set of tires anyway."

Yeah and I'd still plug that bad boy in a heartbeat so I'm not stuck waiting on the side of the road or paying a tow truck to go get raped by as tire dealer who smells your desperation. I'd rather surf for a deal while I run on the plug.

The worst scenario with a plug is it doesn't work and the tire loses air.... just like it did when you initially caught the flat, maybe even slower, so you can get somewhere. Your TPMS goes off to warn and you stop. It's not like you stuck a stick of dynamite in the tire. I've been plugging tires since I can remember and very few plugs ever needed to be revisited. I suspect that most here opposing either haven't done it or done it properly.

• Disagree
Reactions: ODWms and zoros