Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire repair kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going on a road trip with MYLR but heard slime kit is a quick solution that just have to rotate tire to where the screw at bottom of tire, then apply slime with tire inflator. Have anyone experienced, will tire shop able to repair with the foam or not?

Or there is tire repair kit I can carry but more likely difficult to do on the side of road depends where is screw or leak is ...

Anyway, please let me know if you experience any slime or brand, heard Tesla has similar tire repair kit with slime...

Another question, does Model Y 19" tires have foam inside?

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Yes, the 19" OEM tires have sound deadening foam and will not work with slime kits (including the one Tesla sells).

Tire shops usually can patch a tire with sound deadening foam, they just cut out a small section foam where the hole is.

You can find a "tire plug kit" on Amazon for $15 to $40 depending on how accessorized it is. They will work with a foam-lined tire. You'll also need a 12v tire inflation compressor to re-inflate the tire after you have plugged it.

Yes the factory Tesla Model Y tires have foam inserts to reduce noise.

Tesla sells a tire repair kit with an inflation device and a sealant.

Water based slime should not damage the tire pressure monitor sensor.

Some repair centers won't plug or patch a tire that has the foam insert as there have been issues with repairs failing.

Modern Spare sells a spare tire, kit for the Tesla Model Y. For a long road trip the spare may be your best option.

Yes the factory Tesla Model Y tires have foam inserts to reduce noise.

Tesla sells a tire repair kit with an inflation device and a sealant.

Water based slime should not damage the tire pressure monitor sensor.

Some repair centers won't plug or patch a tire that has the foam insert as there have been issues with repairs failing.

Modern Spare sells a spare tire, kit for the Tesla Model Y. For a long road trip the spare may be your best option.
Thank you for suggestions!

yup. i have a video on it because i got a flat. Slime is good for last case emergency but it will ruin your tire. tire plug kits work well if you know how to use them!
Definitely love your videos Chris. Yes I saw you had hard time punching the tire, my plan is to keep both repair kit and slime in the car for road trip, Use slime if I can't punch the tire if nail happens!!

Chris, what do you mean by ruining tire of using slime?

Reactions: everydaychris
yup. i have a video on it because i got a flat. Slime is good for last case emergency but it will ruin your tire. tire plug kits work well if you know how to use them!
hahaha... I saw that video and you had a hard time to push the needle in the tire with all the muscles you have on your arms :) Later, the tech showed you the trick to push the needle into the tire and it works well. Thank you very much for the video. I found it very informative and fun to watch.

Reactions: everydaychris