Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campground Camping, Sleeping in MY Supply List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kpanda17

Oct 17, 2022
USA
Preparing for first sleep in camp in MY at an EV accepting and ready camp ground, just two people
(Road trip supplies are also listed)
Toughest part convincing the wife to sleep in the vehicle

Please add, subtract items and brand + model name where you have great experience

Mattress, non custom 4” memory foam full size or custom memory foam model y fit?
Best custom awning connects to MY
Compact table and chairs
Electric portable cooking burner
Compact cooking pots and pans
Plates, bowls, utensils
Refrig/freezer for inside
TT-30 Tesla adapter to use with MCU 14-50

Rest of my list so far

-bucket for supplies
-water, food bars
-latex gloves
-first aid kit
-baby wipes
-paper towels
-bug spray
-dry car wash spray, for front bugs
-CCS J1772 adapters
-mobile charging kit MCU
-extension cord
-Jack pads
-compact Jack
-squeege tool (store in bag) and wiper fluid in spray jug, clean cameras and headlights
-Tesla tire repair kit has compressor
-mobile compressor (maybe better)
-blanket
-3x reflective collapse-able marker cones
-tire plug kit or below
-Modern Spare Kit (bag, wheel and tire, Jack) $550

And obviously our personal items

Check ahead; some campgrounds require you to put up a tent even if you will be sleeping in your vehicle.

You would want to purchase the TT-30 power plug adapter from EVSEAdapters.com. You would plug the TT-30 adapter into the Tesla Mobile Connector and then directly into the TT-30 receptacle. Only use a 14-50 power plug adapter if the campground space you are renting has a 14-50 receptacle.

I suggest you bring a portable camping stove with 2 burners that uses propane for fuel.

Privacy curtains for the windows of the Tesla Model Y.

Camping lanterns, flashlights.

Toilet paper (your brand, not the generic paper with twigs still in it.)

Spend some time with RV Parky: RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos

We like to use the headlamp type flashlights. That way both hands are free to do things. This comes in handy when you at night cooking or gathering up things.
We actually have a Tent but in the future, I would love to do something like this.
That would meet your needs of sleeping in the car and yet meet the requirements of having a tent.

Reactions: laservet and BitJam
Easy way out, campgrounds can be fun in the summer
Marriott the rest of the year
If you call fun experiencing bugs, ticks, Mosquitos can transmit bloodborne illnesses, which may then be transmitted through blood transfusion. Some examples include malaria, West Nile virus (WNV) and Zika virus.Sep 19, 2019?
I enjoy the Marriott hot showers after a long day of driving. I enjoy the refrigerators in the room. I enjoy the clean no smoking policy. I enjoy the no pet policy knowing no dogs, cats or other pets have been in my room or bed. I enjoy the soft clean pillows that offer me a restful nights sleep. I enjoy the free WiFi and flat screen TVs to catch up on the news and weather.
Some may enjoy outdoor camping in heavy rain, mud and thunderstorms.?
I hope they are enjoying themselves.

Check ahead; some campgrounds require you to put up a tent even if you will be sleeping in your vehicle.

You would want to purchase the TT-30 power plug adapter from EVSEAdapters.com. You would plug the TT-30 adapter into the Tesla Mobile Connector and then directly into the TT-30 receptacle. Only use a 14-50 power plug adapter if the campground space you are renting has a 14-50 receptacle.

I suggest you bring a portable camping stove with 2 burners that uses propane for fuel.

Privacy curtains for the windows of the Tesla Model Y.

Camping lanterns, flashlights.

Toilet paper (your brand, not the generic paper with twigs still in it.)

Spend some time with RV Parky: RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos
that is real expensive -how about this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNSXWM4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1UO2GJ291VXKR&psc=1

That made a good second choice and I did make my own but you must remember to set the amperage in the car. With the 50 adapter use with this, the car will want to pull more amps than the TT 30 circuit is designed for. It's never best to think awe the breaker will trip. Sometimes they don't. I labeled mine all over EV charging only set amps to 28. But, I'm also that guy who removes the clutch engage switch to start a manual.

I just got back from a 2-day camping trip with my Model Y. Instead of getting a tent that attaches to the car, I went in the opposite direction and got a canopy. It costs much less than those tents, it is much easier for one person to set up and it doesn't encumber the car with straps and doohickeys. Granted, mosquitoes are not a big issue where I was so your wattage may vary greatly. The canopy afforded me good sun and rain protection. A perfect compliment to the car. I went with one from Crown Shades which I think was good quality. The 8' x 8' canopy (and some other stuff) fit between the front seats and the folded down rear seats. I think a larger one would fit there as well.

car-canopy-s2.jpg

I have been using foldable, stackable InstaCrates from GreenMade for shopping and organization in the storage area of the car. Turns out one of them fits perfectly in the frunk which I used for non-perishable food and cooking supplies. I had to remove the aftermarket mat/liner from the frunk to get the crate to fit.

Previously I had put my bedding in the frunk which was a mistake because I had to move things around. Keep the bedding in the back and the food in the frunk.

frunk-crate-s.jpg

Since it was just me I used a 4.5 inch Losthorizon 75" x 25" self inflating mattress that I got for under $100. This worked out much better than the full sized Exped Megamat Duo I had used previously. There was 12" of space next to the mattress that I used for my duffel bag of clothes and another InstaCrate.

The mattress was very comfortable and even the material was comfortable next to bare skin. They say you can use an electric pump to help deflate it but I haven't figured that out yet. They even warn you "easy inflation, challenging deflation". But, of course, it was much easier than deflating a full sized one.

Instead of a refrigerator, I used a 48 quart Igloo Laguna cooler recommended here that just fits in the subtrunk. Next time I plan to bring a stick or rod for propping the lid of the cooler open.
Laguna 48
It easily kept things cold for two days using plenty of blue ice. I filled a couple of thermoses with ice and chilled water and cooled them down in the fridge the night before. I put these in the bottom of the cooler and at the end of the trip they were still filled with ice and water. I had to add some room temperature water because the ice had formed into a large chunk. The highs were around 100F during the day but it cooled down nicely at night. I had a sun hat for the day and a knit cap and long sleeves for night and morning.

I just got back from a 2-day camping trip with my Model Y. Instead of getting a tent that attaches to the car, I went in the opposite direction and got a canopy. It costs much less than those tents, it is much easier for one person to set up and it doesn't encumber the car with straps and doohickeys. Granted, mosquitoes are not a big issue where I was so your wattage may vary greatly. The canopy afforded me good sun and rain protection. A perfect compliment to the car. I went with one from Crown Shades which I think was good quality. The 8' x 8' canopy (and some other stuff) fit between the front seats and the folded down rear seats. I think a larger one would fit there as well.

View attachment 953935

I have been using foldable, stackable InstaCrates from GreenMade for shopping and organization in the storage area of the car. Turns out one of them fits perfectly in the frunk which I used for non-perishable food and cooking supplies. I had to remove the aftermarket mat/liner from the frunk to get the crate to fit.

Previously I had put my bedding in the frunk which was a mistake because I had to move things around. Keep the bedding in the back and the food in the frunk.

View attachment 953934

Since it was just me I used a 4.5 inch Losthorizon 75" x 25" self inflating mattress that I got for under $100. This worked out much better than the full sized Exped Megamat Duo I had used previously. There was 12" of space next to the mattress that I used for my duffel bag of clothes and another InstaCrate.

The mattress was very comfortable and even the material was comfortable next to bare skin. They say you can use an electric pump to help deflate it but I haven't figured that out yet. They even warn you "easy inflation, challenging deflation". But, of course, it was much easier than deflating a full sized one.

Instead of a refrigerator, I used a 48 quart Igloo Laguna cooler recommended here that just fits in the subtrunk. Next time I plan to bring a stick or rod for propping the lid of the cooler open.

It easily kept things cold for two days using plenty of blue ice. I filled a couple of thermoses with ice and chilled water and cooled them down in the fridge the night before. I put these in the bottom of the cooler and at the end of the trip they were still filled with ice and water. I had to add some room temperature water because the ice had formed into a large chunk. The highs were around 100F during the day but it cooled down nicely at night. I had a sun hat for the day and a knit cap and long sleeves for night and morning.
Nice writeup. Thanks. You might be a good candidate for hammock camping.

Reactions: BitJam
Nice writeup. Thanks. You might be a good candidate for hammock camping.

Thanks!

Believe it or not, I did hammock camping starting in the late 1970s. The equipment back then was not great but at least it had a mosquito net (I was camping in New Hampshire). Then I got into it again in the late 1990s with a Hennessy Hammock as part of the ultralight trend. I still have my GoLite Chrome Dome. I keep it in the car under the passenger seat.

• Love
Reactions: Darmie
We like to use the headlamp type flashlights. That way both hands are free to do things. This comes in handy when you at night cooking or gathering up things.
We actually have a Tent but in the future, I would love to do something like this.
That would meet your needs of sleeping in the car and yet meet the requirements of having a tent.
As a Tesla camping lover, I made our own AC-Tent!!!!! Introducing our latest innovation – a custom-designed tent tailored exclusively for Tesla enthusiasts. There are some features you definitely want to know!

• Pop-Up Tent, Simple and Convenient;
  • Custom-designed AirFlow Collector, allowing cold air to flow quickly and effectively into the tent;
  • Spacious Room for 4-6 people;
  • Double-layer door and window design: High-density breathable mesh + tear-resistant fabric;
  • Scenic Skylight;
  • Trunk that can be closed whenever you need;
  • Connects or Stands Alone, One Tent for Two Uses;
  • Perfectly snug against Your Tesla.
02.jpg

Click and Learn more!

Reactions: fholbert