Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campground Camping, Sleeping in MY Supply List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JohnB007 @boones totally agree. I bought the bag for outdoor/tent camping. Couldn't pass it up for $60! I'm planning to set Model Y temp to hold at 60F and use some lightweight bedding.

Also, I can relate to the comment about aches and pains and age. If I'm going to be sleeping in the back of a car, I really need the best mat possible. And after a few nights in the car it's pretty much paid for itself anyway. One night at the Yosemite Lodge is $300.

I'm really looking forward to this. Feeling like a kid again. I wish my wife was into it, but there's no way I'll get her out there with me.
Yeah guys
How to get the wife into it?
Amazing to save $250 per night in retirement

Can you pop the pictures of these or give the links?
Since we are leaving next Friday, I'll try to take some pictures of our setup just before we leave (assuming I don't forget, as it seems to happen way more often than I would like these days! 😅 ). Our pack up time is only few hours when we depart home. Also takes less than 1 hour to pack up at campsites.

I just don’t get it.

For less than $200 you can have a nice six man tent setup, inflatable mattress and camp next to the Tesla instead of in it. Two people in a six man tent gives you a lot of room, privacy and you can stand up when getting dressed.

This is the setup I take in my plane when I go camping.

some people in tents, some people in vehicle, some people in hotel
:)

Reactions: CarPortal
I just don’t get it.

For less than $200 you can have a nice six man tent setup, inflatable mattress and camp next to the Tesla instead of in it. Two people in a six man tent gives you a lot of room, privacy and you can stand up when getting dressed.

Different priorities, and nothing wrong with that.

We wanted a setup that allows us to be mobile, can sleep in any weather, and can boon-dock at Walmart parking or other boon docking sites when needed.

We camped for more than 30 years, and went through countless number of tents, including backcountry ones. We slowly evolved into the current setup which makes sense for us at this stage of our lives. Would not have done this even if this setup were available 20 years ago.

I just don’t get it.

I think (hope) for solo travel it’s a game changer especially in extreme weather conditions. I’m headed to Yosemite when my gear arrives. Overnight temps will be below 20F. Personally I wouldn’t enjoy sleeping in tent in that kind of weather. Daytime temps will reach 35-40F plus ~10F radiant heat from the sun. Personally I will thoroughly enjoy the days especially since I’ll probably have Yosemite all to myself and a few other intrepid winter campers. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Reactions: JohnB007
Next up: auxiliary power to keep things running off grid. Do y’all use an inverter or a battery pack or both or neither?

I’m not interested in hardwiring an inverter into the Model Y, but plugging a 1000w inverter into 12V port will allow powering laptop, phone, StarLink, etc right? Or do you just power electronic devices off the USB-C ports?

Also I’m assuming I can find a portable induction cooktop and pan to cook, but I haven’t done the research yet.

A battery “generator” would take up space and add weight. Any value in hauling one of those around? They seem more useful for powering a campsite with multiple people.

The main thing that concerns me is unnecessarily using up the Model Y’s battery when off grid for an extended period of time.

Next up: auxiliary power to keep things running off grid. Do y’all use an inverter or a battery pack or both or neither?

I’m not interested in hardwiring an inverter into the Model Y, but plugging a 1000w inverter into 12V port will allow powering laptop, phone, StarLink, etc right? Or do you just power electronic devices off the USB-C ports?

Also I’m assuming I can find a portable induction cooktop and pan to cook, but I haven’t done the research yet.

A battery “generator” would take up space and add weight. Any value in hauling one of those around? They seem more useful for powering a campsite with multiple people.

The main thing that concerns me is unnecessarily using up the Model Y’s battery when off grid for an extended period of time.
I use Jackery 1.5kwh battery, which is charged though Tesla's accessory socket. It is rated for 1.5kw power, so we always carry a small kettle, a small air fryer, and a small induction cooktop. They all fit into the foot well area. The fridge is powered from this battery too.

We have a small power bar that is plugged into Jackery all the time, which offers multiple 110v and usb power.

Warning : I had issues with this battery - it pulls too much current, so tesla sometimes cuts off power. I also had charging cord malfunction due to heat. My solution was to plug Tesla's 12v into a smaller Jackery 300w version, which then charges the bigger one. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but now I have a flexibility to carry a fridge even when I'm not travelling, and have flexibility to keep it going for few hours without turning Camp Mode on. Nice when you are going somewhere to hike, or shopping far away, but need to carry frozen stuff. Use this quite a bit. If you can find 1.5kwh battery that doesn't pull as much current, it could be a better solution.

We also carry a tablet and with a YouTube Premium account, you can download whatever you want to watch ahead of time, in case you encounter ugly weather days.

Also, I can relate to the comment about aches and pains and age. If I'm going to be sleeping in the back of a car, I really need the best mat possible. And after a few nights in the car it's pretty much paid for itself anyway. One night at the Yosemite Lodge is $300.
Yeah, same here. Last straw for me was after visiting Pensacola... I just needed some place to crash and catch a wink. Because of some little league baseball championship or something all the hotels were taken and I paid $300 for a fleabag motel. Never again. I've driven coast to coast car camping and I prefer it.

Yeah, same here. Last straw for me was after visiting Pensacola... I just needed some place to crash and catch a wink. Because of some little league baseball championship or something all the hotels were taken and I paid $300 for a fleabag motel. Never again. I've driven coast to coast car camping and I prefer it.
been there and done that, with the dynamic pricing of almost everything, you use to be able count on the flea bag places, def want to avoid, for a price that matches the dump, but now if there is demand, the price gets jacked
interesting the overnight in the model y is always the same ;)

Reactions: DblOSmith
Yeah guys
How to get the wife into it?
Amazing to save $250 per night in retirement
Wait until there's a power outtage (or simulate one :cool: ) and insist that instead of sleeping in the hot/cold house, you try sleeping in the car. Talk about how the hotel savings can pay for an entire trip, depending on what you do. More money for good meals or purses or whatever wives want these days. :)

Wait until there's a power outtage (or simulate one :cool: ) and insist that instead of sleeping in the hot/cold house, you try sleeping in the car. Talk about how the hotel savings can pay for an entire trip, depending on what you do. More money for good meals or purses or whatever wives want these days. :)
you bring up a great point, for a power outage, winter or summer, just pull the MY into the garage and sleep overnight (s) until the outage is over
great idea

Reactions: DblOSmith
Funny how there are so many guys who can't get their wives to car camp with them. My partner doesn't want to go with me because he has to get up 4-6x a night to pee... Last summer, we had numerous power outages at home and twice I slept in my Model X in the garage with the A/C on and was really glad I had that option.

Reactions: kpanda17
Funny how there are so many guys who can't get their wives to car camp with them. My partner doesn't want to go with me because he has to get up 4-6x a night to pee... Last summer, we had numerous power outages at home and twice I slept in my Model X in the garage with the A/C on and was really glad I had that option.
That's why car camping in the woods is great. Instead of getting up, walking across cold tiles, turning on light, aiming for a 1sqft toilet hole, you're surrounded by all kinds of nature. Get up, go, jump right back in. Much less disturbing. Easier to go back to sleep. :)

Last edited:
This is one of the issues for me as well. If I stop drinking any fluid after 6pm, I can hold until 7am.

This is my limit for both drinking and walking up... lol 😂

The wifey has a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Basically, she is smarter than me and won't fall for it. However, this is a great argument for buying an EV RV when Rivian someday sells a camper version of the Amazon delivery van.