Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campground Camping, Sleeping in MY Supply List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to spend 4 days / 3 nights at Yosemite before the weather gets better and the crowds roll in for the spring/summer season. I'll be working about 4 hours a day and hiking/biking the remainder of the time.

I'd really like to sleep in the back of Model Y during this short trip. There are a bewildering number of mattress options out there and I'm just starting my research. Would love recommendations from folks here for a Model Y mattress. Thank you!
Here is the one I use. It says it's unavailable now, but I'm sure there are others in this style. I like that I don't have to wait for an inflation and it stays comfortable even for big and tall person like myself. Frequent car camper with two people and it works well. Stows away if needed. Two down sides:

• I'm 6'4''. The front seats have to be moved up a bit and the mattress moved up a bit for me to fit comfortably. That leads to some lack of neck support (fixed by more than usual pillows)
  • Some gaping holes around the back doors. If you drop a phone or something in there, it's lost forever unless you get out and search. Also fixed by stuffing a pillow in there so it doesn't fall.

Reactions: CarPortal
Going to spend 4 days / 3 nights at Yosemite before the weather gets better and the crowds roll in for the spring/summer season. I'll be working about 4 hours a day and hiking/biking the remainder of the time.

I'd really like to sleep in the back of Model Y during this short trip. There are a bewildering number of mattress options out there and I'm just starting my research. Would love recommendations from folks here for a Model Y mattress. Thank you!
I recommend LOSTHORIZON mattresses. They have one specifically for the Model Y. I got their cot-size mattress which is what I'd recommend for one person.

The problem with mattresses that fill the back is there is not much room for anything else. This is why some people build storage units that go underneath the mattress (although this reduces the already scant headroom).

For me and my dog, I'm planning to sleep in a 4-person Eureka Timberline tent and use the back of the car for storage. Although if I was camping at Yosemite, I'd probably sleep in the car.

Whatever you decide to use, I suggest first doing a "shake-down cruise" and test out your plan before going on the trip. Plans tend to adjust after the first few tries. If you're sleeping in the car, there is not a lot of room for other things. If you're not careful, you can end up having to shuffle stuff around a lot. Less is more.

Check our Bryan Hauer on Youtube, an expert at roadtriping, sleeping in the Tesla
Funny he just did a video on this topic and gives a discount code
Exped Megamat Auto

Exped is nice. As comfy as my own bed in the bedroom. I personally would recommend this.

I also utilize rooms in frunk, trunk well, and rear foot well. We sometimes "boon dock" in Walmart parking with all our stuff still in the car.

During our last trip, we tested out our curtain setup. A short one that we can open/close just behind the front seats so that the bed is completely invisible from the front area of the car. Our rear windows are heavily tinted so, can't see anything from outside.

Another trip coming up in about a week or so! 😄

That sounds like an exciting trip! For sleeping in the back of your Model Y, I'd recommend the Tesery Model Y mattress. It's specifically designed to fit the contours of the Model Y's interior, providing you with a comfortable and supportive sleeping surface. Plus, it's easy to set up and pack away when you're ready to hit the road again. You can find more information and purchase it here. Enjoy your adventure in Yosemite!

I'm pleased with the lost horizons mattress that was about $200 from amazon. It is quite comfortable to lay on and I find that I don't need to add any air to it, it self inflates to a comfortable firmness on its own. I do need a pump to vacuum it down and roll it back up to get in the back. I use a ryobi inflator with a custom nozzle i made as i bring ryobi 18v batteries camping for other things also. The mattress and bedding just fits in the subtrunk rolled up. I like that it doesnt cover access to the areas at the back corner of the trunk which is where i put shoes and jackets when i climb in. For my uses, it's very comfortable for 1 person and ok for 2. With 2 people we bump into each other over night and wake each other up a bit. That's due to the size of the space between the wheel wheels and not the mattress itself.

Have a good time on your trip, sounds fun.
1000015299.jpg
1000015298.jpg
1000015004.jpg

One more tip that works for us. We only stay at campgrounds and not on the side of the road, parking lots or walmart. This tip wouldn't work in public places. We generally have a lot of stuff with us for whatever activities we are doing on the trip. I pack most everything into large plastic bins with lids. Those can just sit outside the car overnight on the ground or picnic table and it doesn't matter if they get rained or snowed on. Makes it fast to setup and breakdown camp for late arrival or early start. Clothes needed in the car go into soft duffles in the rear passenger footwells. I also bring a few scraps of 2x6's in case i need to level the car by driving up onto them. If i don't need them, they go into the firepit.

Last edited:

The problem with mattresses that fill the back is there is not much room for anything else. This is why some people build storage units that go underneath the mattress (although this reduces the already scant headroom).

Whatever you decide to use, I suggest first doing a "shake-down cruise" and test out your plan before going on the trip. Plans tend to adjust after the first few tries. If you're sleeping in the car, there is not a lot of room for other things. If you're not careful, you can end up having to shuffle stuff around a lot. Less is more.
I use a memory foam mattress topper folded in half lengthwise instead of a purpose made mattress.

I agree with BitJam. A cot sized mattress is a practical solution for one person. It allows you to store some items next to it and if you put it in diagonally you can get more leg room. Getting in and out is a little easier because you can use the lower area beside the mattress to sit on initially.

I also recommend a couple of test runs - even in your garage.

One more tip that works for us. We only stay at campgrounds and not on the side of the road, parking lots or walmart. This tip wouldn't work in public places. We generally have a lot of stuff with us for whatever activities we are doing on the trip. I pack most everything into large plastic bins with lids. Those can just sit outside the car overnight on the ground or picnic table and it doesn't matter if they get rained or snowed on. Makes it fast to setup and breakdown camp for late arrival or early start. Clothes needed in the car go into soft duffles in the rear passenger footwells. I also bring a few scraps of 2x6's in case i need to level the car by driving up onto them. If i don't need them, they go into the firepit.
Something to level the car! Thanks! Didn't think of that, and not being level would be really irritating (to me at least).

I went with the ExPed. I didn’t really spend much time researching the others after watching the video posted above. I have a really bad habit of spending 5 to 10 hours researching items like this and need to break myself of that habit.

Also ordered their widget, a pillow and sleeping bag.

*** Pro tip: they have $200 duo sleeping bags on sale for $60 plus another 15% off. These are seconds that have manufacturing defects, but I’ll probably never notice. ***

I went with the ExPed. I didn’t really spend much time researching the others after watching the video posted above. I have a really bad habit of spending 5 to 10 hours researching items like this and need to break myself of that habit.

*** Pro tip: they have $200 duo sleeping bags on sale for $60 plus another 15% off. These are seconds that have manufacturing defects, but I’ll probably never notice. ***
Buy once, cry once. Will very likely be a good choice.

You'll be happy with this choice.

My wife & I camped for many many years, went through many different sleeping pads, mostly self inflated types. None of them have ever given me a complete painless sleep experience, until I met ExPed. We are no longer young, and I get lower back pain much more easily without a proper sleeping posture.

I don't know how thick these bags are. Keep in mind that if you are camping in the car using the HVAC (which outside of huge rain/wind storm i'd rather be in a tent when the temps outside are moderate) that you can't set the climate control to a hold temp lower than 60 degrees. So bags that are 40 degrees or lower are too warm for use in the car. I prefer to wear long underwear to sleep in, a sleeping bag liner to sleep in and just a light blanket in the car. The sleeping bad liner keeps the pillow from disappearing overnight and for 2 people in the car, helps keep them from rolling into each other. A 12V heated blanket is kinda nice, but not really needed.

I don't know how thick these bags are. Keep in mind that if you are camping in the car using the HVAC (which outside of huge rain/wind storm i'd rather be in a tent when the temps outside are moderate) that you can't set the climate control to a hold temp lower than 60 degrees. So bags that are 40 degrees or lower are too warm for use in the car. I prefer to wear long underwear to sleep in, a sleeping bag liner to sleep in and just a light blanket in the car. The sleeping bad liner keeps the pillow from disappearing overnight and for 2 people in the car, helps keep them from rolling into each other. A 12V heated blanket is kinda nice, but not really needed.
Pretty much the same conclusion for us.

We started off with thicker bags simply because those are what we already had and they were good quality ones, good for cooler weathers. But over time, we realized that Tesla had super nice HVAC - as nice as our bedroom. We gradually went thinner and thinner. Most recent purchase was a cheapo one from Amazon that has a long pouch attached at the head area. They hold two large pillows in place and still have zippers on both sides (we always use double sized ones). This setup keeps pillows and the bag in its place while we sleep and move around.

We now use this setup regardless of temperature outside. Even freezing temperatures.

Reactions: boones
@JohnB007 @boones totally agree. I bought the bag for outdoor/tent camping. Couldn't pass it up for $60! I'm planning to set Model Y temp to hold at 60F and use some lightweight bedding.

Also, I can relate to the comment about aches and pains and age. If I'm going to be sleeping in the back of a car, I really need the best mat possible. And after a few nights in the car it's pretty much paid for itself anyway. One night at the Yosemite Lodge is $300.

I'm really looking forward to this. Feeling like a kid again. I wish my wife was into it, but there's no way I'll get her out there with me.

Reactions: JohnB007 and BitJam
@JohnB007 @boones totally agree. I bought the bag for outdoor/tent camping. Couldn't pass it up for $60! I'm planning to set Model Y temp to hold at 60F and use some lightweight bedding.

Also, I can relate to the comment about aches and pains and age. If I'm going to be sleeping in the back of a car, I really need the best mat possible. And after a few nights in the car it's pretty much paid for itself anyway. One night at the Yosemite Lodge is $300.

I'm really looking forward to this. Feeling like a kid again. I wish my wife was into it, but there's no way I'll get her out there with me.
I hope your wife can join you.

I know exactly what you mean by feeling like a kid again. We only realized that our physical health won't last forever few years ago, and also realized travelling, seeing and meeting new people are rather relaxing and enjoyable. The Model Y + my current setup is absolutely a game changer for us at this stage of our lives. We now look forward to winter where we could frugally travel (we only sleep in 50A state/national parks) rather than being stuck in COLD Ontario weather.

We are still few years away from retirement but in few years, we hope to visit warmer states weeks if not months at a time during our winter seasons. Another 1-week trip is coming up in few days. 😄

Pretty much the same conclusion for us.

We started off with thicker bags simply because those are what we already had and they were good quality ones, good for cooler weathers. But over time, we realized that Tesla had super nice HVAC - as nice as our bedroom. We gradually went thinner and thinner. Most recent purchase was a cheapo one from Amazon that has a long pouch attached at the head area. They hold two large pillows in place and still have zippers on both sides (we always use double sized ones). This setup keeps pillows and the bag in its place while we sleep and move around.

We now use this setup regardless of temperature outside. Even freezing temperatures.
Can you pop the pictures of these or give the links?