Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campground Camping, Sleeping in MY Supply List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone comment on what percentage of battery power is consumed per hour or per 8 hour night in camp mode overnight duirng cold weather camping? If it's 20F overnight and I set camp mode at it's minimum of 60F, how much power will I consume overnight?

I will charge MY LR to 100% at a supercharger right outside Yosemite. Assuming I reach camp at 90%, I'm wondering how many nights I can camp in cold weather without having to charge again. I hope it's more than one. Thanks for any input from those who have experience!

Can anyone comment on what percentage of battery power is consumed per hour or per 8 hour night in camp mode overnight duirng cold weather camping? If it's 20F overnight and I set camp mode at it's minimum of 60F, how much power will I consume overnight?

I will charge MY LR to 100% at a supercharger right outside Yosemite. Assuming I reach camp at 90%, I'm wondering how many nights I can camp in cold weather without having to charge again. I hope it's more than one. Thanks for any input from those who have experience!
There are a number of overnight sleeping videos on YouTube and as it’s a heat pump, no diff for cooling or heating and remember seeing the eight hour consuming 20%

Reactions: CarPortal
The wifey has a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Basically, she is smarter than me and won't fall for it. However, this is a great argument for buying an EV RV when Rivian someday sells a camper version of the Amazon delivery van.
EV RVs will be great. I can't wait for them to come out. ...but until they do, a MY is a great RV. I've gone coast to coast in mine. ;)

I like sleeping in cold weather and even with the back vents on, I have to keep the temp set to around 60 degrees for the sleeping area to be comfortable for me. My estimates are on those settings. Overnight climate control burns about 2% per hour in a temperate climate. When I've camped in freezing weather, it was twice that. In scorching hot weather, it was in the middle at around 3% per hour.

Reactions: JohnB007
Thanks for all the input! There are quite a few L2 chargers in the Yosemite village area. Also Rivian is about to open an L2 only station with 20 chargers. My plan is to camp two nights charge back up to 90%. Camp one more night and then head home.

Yosemite National Park - West Curry Village (Coming Soon)
9010 Curry Village Dr, Yosemite Valley, CA 95389, USA

Yosemite National Park - West Curry Village (Coming Soon) | Yosemite Valley, CA | EV Station
too bad not a RAN/L3

Reactions: DblOSmith
too bad not a RAN/L3
As you know, L3 takes a lot of power. I doubt there is adequate infrastructure available for any L3 chargers in Yosemite until someday someone installs a few chargers that are augmented by battery storage. Like these guys:

The huge ugly battery box should be underground though in a place like Yosemite.

As you know, L3 takes a lot of power. I doubt there is adequate infrastructure available for any L3 chargers in Yosemite until someday someone installs a few chargers that are augmented by battery storage. Like these guys:

The huge ugly battery box should be underground though in a place like Yosemite.
I love the concept of Freewire. Very smart. I hear they're having some bugs to work out, but I'm really hoping they succeed!

I hopped in the back of Model Y this evening and quickly realized that I DO NOT want to sleep in a little glass bubble which any passers by can look right into. Need privacy!

Starting my research for a good set of window shades. I think they will come in handy during trips to Death Valley, Mojave, etc. anyway to fend off the scorching daytime sun. Default is to order the full set from Evannex, but it's a little pricy at $250.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Also does anyone know if Peter in Germany is shipping his Frunkly table to the US? IMO it is a perfect setup for one or two people to cook. If he's not shipping (doesn't look active on social media) I will consider doing a Kickstarter for a kitchen that unfolds right out of the frunk.

I hopped in the back of Model Y this evening and quickly realized that I DO NOT want to sleep in a little glass bubble which any passers by can look right into. Need privacy!

Starting my research for a good set of window shades. I think they will come in handy during trips to Death Valley, Mojave, etc. anyway to fend off the scorching daytime sun. Default is to order the full set from Evannex, but it's a little pricy at $250.

Did you add any additional tint to any of the windows? In my case, I added the same amount to all 4 side windows (on top of what was there already in the rear windows) and it is dark enough that under pretty much all conditions, you really can't see inside. The only time is when it is dark outside and your interior light is on, but even that was hard to see through.

As for seeing through the front windshield, I actually have full shades for all windows and used them for a while, but now we prefer to use the little curtain based approach, much easier to use it and since it is placed right behind the front seats, no need to worry about blocking front windows either.

Tailgate windows are pretty dark to begin with. Very hard to see through that as well.

Try looking through from outside and see how visible it is yourself. Initially, I also felt like you, but started building some confidence that no one can see me... 😅

I have a set of shades I keep in the underfloor area in front of the subtrunk. I have only needed them once so far. We only sleep in the car at night. One night we stayed at a KOA type campground and the giant bus sized RV had LED flood lights on all night and we needed the shades to block out their light. In campgrounds that are spread out, this hasn't been an issue. I recall 1 night it was a fully clear and full moon and the light through the roof was a bit distracting. I bought a set of these in case that happens again, but havent used them yet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XTVHMQ1

After staying overnight in the MY, I would recommend extra pillows to fill in the spaces on the left and right sides of the mattress. Four extra were enough.

We also bought an electric cooler that perfectly fit in the sub trunk.

Make sure you test this out. It's tight for two people. My husband and I are 5'5"/120 and 5'11"/170 for scale. Maybe take a nap in the driveway first or even try it overnight at home first.

I was much more comfortable sleeping alone in the back. My husband got Covid and I slept in the car outside the Airbnb (got sick anyway :)

This: Privacy Screen for Model Y

Did you add any additional tint to any of the windows? In my case, I added the same amount to all 4 side windows (on top of what was there already in the rear windows) and it is dark enough that under pretty much all conditions, you really can't see inside. The only time is when it is dark outside and your interior light is on, but even that was hard to see through.

As for seeing through the front windshield, I actually have full shades for all windows and used them for a while, but now we prefer to use the little curtain based approach, much easier to use it and since it is placed right behind the front seats, no need to worry about blocking front windows either.

Tailgate windows are pretty dark to begin with. Very hard to see through that as well.

Try looking through from outside and see how visible it is yourself. Initially, I also felt like you, but started building some confidence that no one can see me... 😅
Can you tell me more about the "curtain based approach"?

Thank you all for your input. Gearing up to make my first car camping trip to Yosemite next week if the weather holds. So excited. I know it's old news for you all, but this is a brand-new adventure for me. I camped (illegally) in Yosemite once decades ago with my best friends during college. I remember we had a cheap tent and it poured all night, but somehow we managed to stay dry. There was plenty of beer involved so I don't remember much else from that night.

Back in the days before smartphones, someone snapped a 35mm picture of our group at the top of Yosemite Falls after hours of hiking to get there. Though I can't find the picture I remember it clearly. You can see forever from up there.