Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tire Repair Kit details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Slime-branded kit, you get a bottle of (replaceable) Slime and a compressor. You squeeze the Slime into the tire after removing the valve stem with a supplied tool, then, after replacing the valve stem, you fill it up with the compressor and run for a mile or so to spread the goop around. After that, you may have to top up with the compressor again.

Are you sure? I didn't see a valve stem removal tool nor the can of slime. It's built into the compressor. There's a red cap which gets removed and the tube screws onto the valve stem and the slime is released. Actually the instructions are very minimal.

Are you sure? I didn't see a valve stem removal tool nor the can of slime. It's built into the compressor. There's a red cap which gets removed and the tube screws onto the valve stem and the slime is released. Actually the instructions are very minimal.

This is the particular kit I bought. You can see in the description it talks of a "valve core removal tool and filler tube". Here's the piece that describes how:

ScreenShot001.jpg

I feel you get what you pay for. I'm not even comfortable with leaving a can of slime in the back of my car during the summer.
I tend to agree, but is the Tesla slime kit worth $50 + exorbitant shipping? I think not.
I'm leaning toward the Griot's Garage one even though I'm known to pinch my pennies.
This has the pliers, etc. and is "fully tested" (and I believe it).
I assume you are referring to the plug kit, so we are really talking apples and oranges. The advantage of the plug kit is that it doesn't ruin the TPM sender in the tire, but it appears that slime does just that.

I tend to agree, but is the Tesla slime kit worth $50 + exorbitant shipping? I think not.I assume you are referring to the plug kit, so we are really talking apples and oranges. The advantage of the plug kit is that it doesn't ruin the TPM sender in the tire, but it appears that slime does just that.

Yup, wasn't interested in ruining the TPM sensor. A car enthusiast friend of mine suggested that I could do better than the Tesla kit.

I purchased the Slime kit from Amazon and had it in the car. 3 days later I had a flat tire (21" wheel) - rear passenger side. A 1 " long metal went through it. The slime kit with the pump was super easy to use and inflated my tire back to right pressure - all in less than 10 mins. Drove to local Les Schwab and got it repaired. No issues with TPMS. Key is to get the tire repaired as soon as possible before all the slime gets hardened inside the tire. Portland SC monitored my tire pressure as soon as I was done - I was in touch with them throughout and they were very helpful. SC instructed Les Schwab on how to lift the car, right torque setting for the lug nuts, etc. Les Schwab guys were happy to work on it and got a full tour.
I purchased a replacement slime bottle for $9 and system is ready to go for next time. No need to spend all that money for tesla kit.

Reactions: bhzmark
This has been an interesting thread. Any of these kits should definitely be considered a temporary fix. From previous use of similar kits, I would recommend the Griot's kit over the others hands down. And would only use any of them in an emergency situation. Slime would be my very last resort and only if I were going to the hospital emergency room or going to miss an overseas flight and the kit would take to long.

Any reason why AAA has not been mentioned? Especially if you are not near a Tesla Service Center.

RNG

Curious to know why. The slime is in a non-pressurized bottle and as far as I know, isn't flammable.

- - - Updated - - -

Slime claims to be TPMS friendly.

I think initially after I got my car I wen into a store and looked at some of this stuff which is sold without the pump.
I think there were warnings about heat on the can.

@Cool-Model S - glad it worked out for you!

Slime claims to be TPMS friendly.
I note that Cool-Model S reports no problem after using slime. I based my comment on reports from LEAF owners. Nissan supplies a ContiMobilityKit which includes a bottle of something which is labeled as containing rubber latex and ethanediol, and some users have reported the need to replace the TPMS after use.

There is also some indication that techs just do not care to go to the trouble of cleaning up the mess made by the slime, so just replace. Plus, some shops give a tech a cut of parts sold - fairly common at dealerships, I am told.

BTW, the bottle supplied by Nissan contains only health warnings, nothing about flammability.

Driving to work today in the rain I opted to take the back roads instead of the highways.
About 2/3 the way to work the check tire pressure light went on, when I got to a gas station
I got out and :cursing: my tire was completely flat!

photo (20).JPG

Called AAA and pumped the tire to try and find the hole. The wheel and rim seemed fine.
Took a while but I did eventually find a screw - and there was a white pencil nearby and
I marked the tire.

Got out my pliers from my plug repair kit but the :cursing: screw was in backwards, the
sharp point was facing out. I was screwed!

photo (21).JPG

Eventually...and I mean eventually...AAA arrives, the guy removes the wheel and we struggle
to remove the screw. We fill up the tire partially and I plug it and I'm back on the road. Stopping
at a mechanic to torque the lug nuts. Did I mention the rain?

Getting it repaired from the inside on Thursday...

Pliers are a MUST - but in this case it was nearly impossible even with the tire off!

/Ed

Ed A, I was pleased to see the tire was only flat on the bottom. Tesla is amazing.
Okay, folks, what is the final verdict:
To fix a flat tire in my Model S I should buy/get/steal/barter for:

WHICH inflating slime kit,
Plugs? How does one plug a leak/hole? Jerry do not laugh.
Okay, and pliers, yes - can do that...

Ed A, I was pleased to see the tire was only flat on the bottom. Tesla is amazing.
Okay, folks, what is the final verdict:
To fix a flat tire in my Model S I should buy/get/steal/barter for:

WHICH inflating slime kit,
Plugs? How does one plug a leak/hole? Jerry do not laugh.
Okay, and pliers, yes - can do that...
I bought the tire plug kit from Griots Garage and threw in a can of tire sensor safe Slime. Comes with pliers....hope I never have to use it. Threw in some rubber gloves and a plastic garbage bag to lay on the ground if needed.