Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire repair kit and sound absorbing foam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a way to be prepared to fix a flat tire on my new M3LR. It came with Michelin Primacy MMX4 tires with an Acoustic logo indicating that they have sound absorbing foam inside. I have read that this foam can prevent tire sealant included in repair kits from sealing a puncture in the tire. Does anyone have experience using one of these kits to fix a flat in a tire that has sound absorbing foam inside? Considering the OEM Tesla Tire Repair Kit, but I need to know if it will work with my tires.

I am looking for a way to be prepared to fix a flat tire on my new M3LR. It came with Michelin Primacy MMX4 tires with an Acoustic logo indicating that they have sound absorbing foam inside. I have read that this foam can prevent tire sealant included in repair kits from sealing a puncture in the tire. Does anyone have experience using one of these kits to fix a flat in a tire that has sound absorbing foam inside? Considering the OEM Tesla Tire Repair Kit, but I need to know if it will work with my tires.
Correction - my tires are MXM4, not MMX4

These owners have experience:

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Will a plug kit work when there is sound absorbing foam inside the tire?
Can a plug kit with an air compressor be used to fix a flat on the side of a road if I am in a remote area far from any service center?

Last edited:
I just did a road trip and got a low pressure tire warning halfway. I pulled over in some random podunk town and inflated with a portable compressor. Thankfully it held air after a 3 hour butt puckering drive. Next day I went to a Discount Tire and they plugged it for free. They cut out a section of foam and I can’t hear any difference in road noise to be honest. If the tire didn’t hold air my next move would’ve been to call Tesla Roadside or AAA. I personally would not venture anywhere remote where Tesla Roadside or AAA would be unavailable.

The tire can be repaired at the shop but others have mentioned the slime will not work with this type of tire. A plug kit should still work, but if the tire can hold air, just pump it up and then take it to the tire shop if it is feasible.

Last edited:
Do not buy the Tire Repair Kit from Tesla. I did for $70. The accessory plug is designed to come apart, yup designed that way. It's soft plastic and pulling it out of the plug causes it to compress and separate from the screwed on tip. See the big piece in the pic. It has a slot for the ground. There is no way the top part with thread will stay separated. It just compresses and comes apart when pulling out of the plug. Terrible design, sending it back.
20220803_162212.jpg

Do not buy the Tire Repair Kit from Tesla. I did for $70. The accessory plug is designed to come apart, yup designed that way. It's soft plastic and pulling it out of the plug causes it to compress and separate from the screwed on tip. See the big piece in the pic. It has a slot for the ground. There is no way the top part with thread will stay separated. It just compresses and comes apart when pulling out of the plug. Terrible design, sending it back.View attachment 836351
I don’t think it’s a Tesla product...I have one, from a car years ago, almost identical...probably just a poorly made import

Yup, I think your right. This product is made by someone other than Tesla (a subcontractor) and Tesla puts their name on it. It says made Malaysia. Tesla is still in charge here and has signed off on the quality.
The 12v connector usually is the weakest link, some has a replaceable fuse inside, I have seen various devices when you pull the connector and it breaks apart easily.

The 12v connector usually is the weakest link, some has a replaceable fuse inside, I have seen various devices when you pull the connector and it breaks apart easily.
I have another accessory that has a fuse in the plug. Seems like a good idea to fuse it and make it user replaceable. Also, this is the only plug I've seen that's not made of bakelite. I had thought of cutting the connector off and replacing it with a bakelite one fused to 15A. However, the plug is not the only problem. It took some fidgeting with the selector to get it to work. You have to depress the power button (another design problem as its not obvious that its depressed) then move the selector switch to air or slime. It's not indicated or written about, but there are two detents for air. I discovered it by accident. Or maybe the switch is just "lame". Nope ... already sent email asking how to return it. Too bad, I really wanted a Tesla branded repair kit.

Picked up a sheet rock nail in Baltimore, while traveling. First tire shop (NTB) couldn't lift a Tesla - no jack pads; second tire shop (Mr Tire) lifted it but wouldn't work on the tire due to the foam on the inside. So we added air and drove it to NY. I arranged for Tesla Service to flatbed transfer to the nearest service center, in Mount Kisco, where they fixed it. $100 for basic repair, checked the other tires, etc. then I had to catch a ride for an hour to retrieve it.
Should have just plugged it myself and that will be my plan next time. Why are tire shops unfamiliar with foam in the tires? and why couldn't they plug it?

There is an early reply, you cannot just plug it like regular tire. You have to open it and then cut the foam, plug it and then put the foam back. I think the shop just don’t want the hassle and any liability later…