Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In New Jersey you can't legally pump your own gas, I don't know if you can get a coffee while the attendant mans the pump.

You can do that here. One of the few times I went to one of the few remaining service gas stations somebody left their car and took minutes to get back, so I ended up waiting several minutes until she returned.

There aren't always latches. Having had the pump fail to stop once, I think it's a good thing.

You can do that here. One of the few times I went to one of the few remaining service gas stations somebody left their car and took minutes to get back, so I ended up waiting several minutes until she returned.

There aren't always latches. Having had the pump fail to stop once, I think it's a good thing.

With the latches there's enough time to check your oil level.

This! Let's get back to the funny and inspiring stories.

My nearest supercharger is 35 minutes drive away. Cannot charge at home nor work.

And this supercharger, Kai Tak in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, has 4 SC stalls in a parking lot of about 150 spots. Other 32 spots have 2.2 kW chargers, and I haven't seen those used, not even once (apart from being ICEd). There are signs that say the 32 spots are "EV charging spots", 100% ignored by any and every ICE car. The supercharger spots have no signs, information or anything - except for the red-white arches with "TESLA" written on them.

Yesterday (a Sunday afternoon), we went there to charge as we often do, and there was some kind of event. All spots taken, it took us 9 minutes waiting in a line of ICE cars idling (cough, cough), just to get in. We feared the worst, hoped the best. As I predicted, 1 MS was charging, 3 spots ICEd. But one of those spots had just been vacated, and an ICE pulled in, just before we got there. We opened the windows, and shouted that we reeeeeeally need that spot (in Cantonese), and he actually backed out, and thus "gave" us the supercharging spot. As soon as we had plugged in, we chased him up, where he was parking in another spot that had just emptied. We thanked him dearly and explained that we have an electric car and need to drive 35 minutes to this place, with only 4 spots we can use. He took it all in, and saw the car. We gave him a Tesla Motors brochure and hopefully, he walked off just a little more educated about Tesla Motors and EVs.

Unfortunately, Tesla Motors have a contract for the space of the superchargers there, not the very parking spots that are located next to them!

Management consistently says those spots are for everyone to use, no matter what car. What a shame ...

My nearest supercharger is 35 minutes drive away. Cannot charge at home nor work.

And this supercharger, Kai Tak in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, has 4 SC stalls in a parking lot of about 150 spots. Other 32 spots have 2.2 kW chargers, and I haven't seen those used, not even once (apart from being ICEd). There are signs that say the 32 spots are "EV charging spots", 100% ignored by any and every ICE car. The supercharger spots have no signs, information or anything - except for the red-white arches with "TESLA" written on them.

Yesterday (a Sunday afternoon), we went there to charge as we often do, and there was some kind of event. All spots taken, it took us 9 minutes waiting in a line of ICE cars idling (cough, cough), just to get in. We feared the worst, hoped the best. As I predicted, 1 MS was charging, 3 spots ICEd. But one of those spots had just been vacated, and an ICE pulled in, just before we got there. We opened the windows, and shouted that we reeeeeeally need that spot (in Cantonese), and he actually backed out, and thus "gave" us the supercharging spot. As soon as we had plugged in, we chased him up, where he was parking in another spot that had just emptied. We thanked him dearly and explained that we have an electric car and need to drive 35 minutes to this place, with only 4 spots we can use. He took it all in, and saw the car. We gave him a Tesla Motors brochure and hopefully, he walked off just a little more educated about Tesla Motors and EVs.

Unfortunately, Tesla Motors have a contract for the space of the superchargers there, not the very parking spots that are located next to them!

Management consistently says those spots are for everyone to use, no matter what car. What a shame ...
I honestly admire you guys for going through the trouble of buying a Tesla without possibility to charge at home and I really hope your pioneering opens the eyes of others (especially the city governors for installing more charging facilities and actively pushing towards electrifying private transport). Especially a crowded city like Hong Kong really needs this more than anywhere else.

I honestly admire you guys for going through the trouble of buying a Tesla without possibility to charge at home and I really hope your pioneering opens the eyes of others (especially the city governors for installing more charging facilities and actively pushing towards electrifying private transport). Especially a crowded city like Hong Kong really needs this more than anywhere else.

Thank you, basvk.

I put down the deposit in December 2012.

Got the car September 2014, 21 months later.

I had no idea back then how charging was going to be, but nothing was going to stop me to get this car. There are chargers here, lots of them, but most of them are 2.2 kW only (230V/13A gross, around 6 mph charging speed). I do use any and every charging spot I can come across, even those super slow ones. In fact, they are so slow if you sit in your car and run the A/C, the car is charging less than 2 mph!

Anyway, there will be superchargers, also in my area. And there will be home charging, and even charging on my work. It just takes so long time, as the motivation isn't there. Instead there is fear. Fear of fires, lawsuits, power failures, losing the lottery and what not.

I starting asking the management in April about charging in the club parking garage. So far nothing, and albeit there are several 13A/230V wall sockets, they have informed me strictly that I cannot use those, not even if I offer to pay for the electricity I use. My charger can even be dialled down to either 8A or 6A (like 1.8kW and 1.3kW or so). They were in talks about charging recently with Tesla Motors. I believe they were discussing superchargers - but all I heard was a rumour that there isn't enough network capacity to supply a supercharger installation.

Then what?

This is the Tesla Moment thread, and not supercharger thread. All I wanted to share was how this person who didn't know anything about Tesla Motors or that he parked at a charging spot, ended up not only giving us the SC spot without argument or hesitation, but also that he walked away from there with a Tesla Motors brochure :)

There are chargers here, lots of them, but most of them are 2.2 kW only (230V/13A gross, around 6 mph charging speed). I do use any and every charging spot I can come across, even those super slow ones.

Since august 2014 (in three months' time), my wife and I have driven more than 10.000km (> 6000 mi) with only a 13A 220V charger (the UMC) at home (+superchargers on the road). It has never been an issue for us. The 13km/h that it charges at means that overnight, I will charge much more than I need on a typical weekday.

With our setup, charging the car at home would take about 30 hours to go from 0 to full. It's pretty funny to convince anyone that this is not a problem since you plug it in every single second the car is on the driveway.

I'm for real. Why? I could never imagine me hanging around an Automobile forum for over two years talking about a car I had no interest in buying or owning. Unless I'm misreading the post, it seems a bit... odd to me. :)

Potentially several very positive reasons:

- I would assume, that he hopes to afford one someday - perhaps sooner than expected with the prices of the older ones coming down fairly quickly.
- He is interested in the technology, it's merits and it's larger implications

There are worse forums to hang around! :rolleyes:

I'm for real. Why? I could never imagine me hanging around an Automobile forum for over two years talking about a car I had no interest in buying or owning. Unless I'm misreading the post, it seems a bit... odd to me. :)

Why would you think he has no interest in buying or owning the car? There are a lot of people out there with *great* interest in the car but without the financial resources to put down $70,000 or more to actually make it happen.

For a random example, there are a lot of forums out there dedicated to discussing airliners and military hardware yet few of the participants actually own any.

I'm a forum regular, have been for probably around a year now. I'm not a Tesla customer and the purchase price (much higher in Australia) prevents me from becoming a customer in the short term future, yet I'm still a daily forum user and contributor.

Why? Because this car strikes home with many of my interests as an Electrical Engineer.

Very keen on EVs
Very keen on cars
Very keen on renewable energy
Very keen on technology

I could afford a MS if I made some drastic changes to my lifestyle but I'm not prepared to do that just yet. I have so far felt like I'm still welcome amongst the community though. Do you feel as though it should be exclusive to customers? More than likely I'll be late to the model S, maybe even the model 3, but in terms of EV's as a whole I still feel like I'm an early adopter by being a part of the movement here online.