Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, problem with closing the frunk is it is too fragile. I, like others use two hands and lightly close it in the approved method/location :)
Makes it a little harder when I am carrying something

I use mine all the time, but any passengers or visitors to my car instantly hear me say "just don't close it please, I'll do that". But I probably use it 2x/week.

I dropped some plastic bottles and some aluminum cans off at the local county transfer / recycling center.

I was asked "what kind of car is that?" One of the guys was blown away by the center screen. So, I demonstrated summon by moving it forward 10ft or so. That got some "Hey Joe, you gotta come look at this!"
I take my S to the local trash transfer station and I get some strange looks from the other patrons there...

I'll throw another frunk-related moment in.

On Saturday I was helping my friends move into a new Townhouse and we had packed the rented U-Haul completely full. I had several picture frames/wall art/mirrors/glass table panes in the back of my S already and there was still a big box with the items in their standing bar to go. I told the person carrying it to throw it in the front and he asked if I meant the front seat.

I go "no, the *frunk*" and he chuckled, responding "that's right! I keep forgetting there's no engine up there"

The high walls helped to keep any bottles from tipping and though I didn't think about it at the time, probably also satisfied any open container laws :rolleyes:

I'll throw another frunk-related moment in.

On Saturday I was helping my friends move into a new Townhouse and we had packed the rented U-Haul completely full. I had several picture frames/wall art/mirrors/glass table panes in the back of my S already and there was still a big box with the items in their standing bar to go. I told the person carrying it to throw it in the front and he asked if I meant the front seat.

I go "no, the *frunk*" and he chuckled, responding "that's right! I keep forgetting there's no engine up there"

The high walls helped to keep any bottles from tipping and though I didn't think about it at the time, probably also satisfied any open container laws :rolleyes:
Since we seem to be on a frunk theme, Here's my favorite. We've done a lot of road trips and were in the trailhead parking lot at Olympic National Park. We keep our hiking boots and packs in the frunk and find the open frunk a great place to sit while putting on our boots. A Ranger car drove by and stopped thinking that the open Hood indicate that we were in need of help. We told them yes, thanks, we can't find our engine. As a side note I keep a toy battery operated hamster treadmill in the frunk which always gets a laugh. An especially big hit with young kids at EV events

Since we seem to be on a frunk theme, Here's my favorite. We've done a lot of road trips and were in the trailhead parking lot at Olympic National Park. We keep our hiking boots and packs in the frunk and find the open frunk a great place to sit while putting on our boots. A Ranger car drove by and stopped thinking that the open Hood indicate that we were in need of help. We told them yes, thanks, we can't find our engine. As a side note I keep a toy battery operated hamster treadmill in the frunk which always gets a laugh. An especially big hit with young kids at EV events

furiously googling battery operated hamster treadmill... :)

I do that as well. I watched my 15 yr old daughter close it before I could stop her. I just cringed :eek:
My daughters keep bugging me to use the frunk also, but I've developed frunk phobia from reading this forum. I have to explain to them that it will dent and/or get scratched when I put my hands all over the hood to close it. I'm getting the hood Xpel'd tomorrow, so I think that might help with the paranoia.

My daughters keep bugging me to use the frunk also, but I've developed frunk phobia from reading this forum. I have to explain to them that it will dent and/or get scratched when I put my hands all over the hood to close it. I'm getting the hood Xpel'd tomorrow, so I think that might help with the paranoia.
That may have been the case in the older Model S but the electronic latch does all the work for you now. Just gently lay on top of latch and put a little pressure on it and the latch does all the work.

I use only frunk all the time, my kids want to be different at their school and they like the look on the faces of their schoolmates, and other parents. Follow the instructions in the owners manual and be rest assured nothing is going to happen to the frunk. My 12yr old son does it without any problem twice a day at his school . Remember if you unintentionally lock with the fob when the frunk is open, you will have to unlock and then press down the frunk to lock . Let your daughter have the TESLA MOMENTS.

I do that as well. I watched my 15 yr old daughter close it before I could stop her. I just cringed :eek:

The other day we were out and I accidentally hit the button on the remote to open the frunk instead of the back hatch. I went around to the front and explained why I did to my SO. She said she did that once when she went to the office and she couldn't get it closed so her law partner came out and did it. I didn't say anything but I screamed inside.

I carry a miniature small block V-8 in my frunk. I saw someone here in Vancouver, WA with the hamster wheel in the frunk at a drive electric week event. I think the battery died because it wasn't running.

I am not 100% sure but I think Tesla may have reinfoced the hood better when they did the redesigned nose. Looking at my hood it doesn't look like it would get frunk creases very easily from putting hands in the wrong place anywhere near the edge (putting hands in the middle would, but I don't think anyone would do that). However, I'm too paranoid to try. Next time I go to a PDX Tesla event and anyone has a frunk open I should compare the structure under the hood between and old and new S.

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux and OBX John
I am not 100% sure but I think Tesla may have reinfoced the hood better when they did the redesigned nose. Looking at my hood it doesn't look like it would get frunk creases very easily from putting hands in the wrong place anywhere near the edge (putting hands in the middle would, but I don't think anyone would do that). However, I'm too paranoid to try. Next time I go to a PDX Tesla event and anyone has a frunk open I should compare the structure under the hood between and old and new S.
I agree with this. A few years ago there were lots of complaints about frunk creases. I haven't seen any new ones in a long time.

Auto Show, Babson College, Wellesley, Massachusetts; April 27, 2014

In the frunk:

IMG_5604.jpg

and in the trunk:

IMG_5624.jpg

but believe it or not, here's what won the show:

IMG_5626.jpg

Electric Tesla hamsters rock!

Alan

LOL. You wrote photocell, but for some reason, I thought "solar cell"! Here I thought you were talking about making the hamster wheel solar powered!
It might be easier to just hook up a few solar cells to the hamster wheel. When you open the frunk, light would hit the solar cells and the wheel would start turning.
This should work:
Amazon.com : ALLPOWERS 2.5W 5V/500mAh Mini Encapsulated Solar Cell Epoxy Solar Panel DIY Battery Charger Kit for Battery Power 130x150mm (Solar Panel Only) : Patio, Lawn & Garden