Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to share some unpleasant experience I have encountered with Tesla Motors.

After I have purchased 2 Model S vehicles (P85+ & P85D) from Tesla and having a 2 year old Model X reservation (low 3000 reservation #), Tesla Motors decided to CANCEL my Model X reservation without asking me.

The response I have received from Tesla was that because I have complained about an issue I had with my 2nd Model S P85D, they decided, I quote "...it's best to part ways."

Do you think this is fair?

Is Tesla Motors discriminating me?

I would appreciate any help if someone can suggest how can I get my reservation back.

Cheers,

Mike,
No, there is no discrimination from Tesla toward you.

You treated Tesla as an adversary when you threatened to take legal action.
In my opinion, you were the one who was less than fair and/or patient.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Best of luck with your next car.

Hard to say. Insurance is an entrenched business. What flies there may not fly elsewhere. Certain personal attributes are accepted there more easily due to the special nature of the business as well. It is hard to make the same claim with buying a car.

Tesla is trying to usher in a new model of doing business. They are being fought tooth and nail by a lobby of the entrenched model for doing so. I wonder if this is the best choice for that fight - or if they should build consumer protections into their own system that would satisfy eager legislators that independent checks and balances (aka dealers) are not needed.

Protection isn't a one way street. The company, also made up of people, should be able to protect itself from people like the OP as much as consumers should be protected from unscrupulous companies. Besides, as has already been pointed out, it makes no sense that an individual would want to continue to buy products from Tesla given the past two situation,s UNLESS that person was going to try, yet again, to get some sort of legal settlement reward.

Protection isn't a one way street. The company, also made up of people, should be able to protect itself from people like the OP as much as consumers should be protected from unscrupulous companies. Besides, as has already been pointed out, it makes no sense that an individual would want to continue to buy products from Tesla given the past two situation,s UNLESS that person was going to try, yet again, to get some sort of legal settlement reward.

Consumers, widely, are given more protection than companies are from such issues. Perhaps this will not be an issue in the U.S.

Perhaps the lobby won't use this, perhaps they won't succeed. I guess I've made my point and I'll let the pitchforks fly in peace. :)

I didn't see the email at first, but having seen it, I noticed the people the OP was conversing with were Tesla's VP of sales Jerome Guillen and Associate General Counsel Jonathan Chang (AKA Tesla's lawyer).

Two points I want to make.

1) If this was any other automaker, the complaints would unlikely reach that high up (they might have an executive team communicate with you but not the actual VP). The "pro" side of Tesla's direct sale is that access to corporate is much more direct than with dealership based automakers.

2) Given Tesla's lawyer is responding to you, it's pretty clear this has reached way past the stage of just a customer dispute with Tesla. There must be a lot more things that went on behind the scenes (that you didn't present to us) if Tesla had to ask for a lawyer to communicate with you.

Calm down everybody.

To montauto:
It is reasonable that Tesla does not want to do further business with you and reasonable that you would not want to do further business with Tesla. The relationship is such that you want to sue. Once legal action is threatened, the safest course of action is to avoid further business.

But understand that on the aspect of new features: all manufacturers know what's coming in their new cars, but they choose not to reveal until the year of release. Once they reveal features, they do not reveal pricing until official launch, even though they know what the price will be. It is not in their interest to disclose information that would reduce current value. Tesla has some inventory and has parts ordered and they want to use them up. Because of the build-to-order, direct sales system Tesla has a very short lead time on modifications and that means more surprises have and will happen in the future.

If there is any legal issue, it would be the failure to disclose that the car would be delivered without the new seats, before attempting to deliver the car. Other than that, it's just sensible business.

View attachment 76189

Removed my personal info from the file.

Attached is the email I have received....

Real quick the story:

Got P85+ in September 2014

Traded P85+ and Ordered P85D in Oct 2014 with Next Gen seats

Received P85D with the old seats without anyone from Tesla to notify me.

Didn't accept delivery and the whole thing started ...

No one from Tesla was able to provide any estimate of when I can get the seats replaced.

Offered resolution to Tesla: Built the car I ordered and paid for, provide rental in the mean time and agree if you fail again to pay $30k liquidated damages.

Tesla refused.

Tesla took back the P85D and on top of that cancelled my Model X reservation.

Now I have electric charger / Wall connector at home, but no Tesla car and I lost lots of money on the trade and on lawyers.

This email is over a month old. Why start posting about it today?

"Offered resolution to Tesla: Built the car I ordered and paid for, provide rental in the mean time and agree if you fail again to pay $30k liquidated damages. Tesla refused."

What a surprise. This guy needs to get a life. And the fact that he has only posted on TMC to announce his threats, causes me to file his post in the "Troll" bucket.

To the OP - I have no sympathy at all for you and I side with Tesla. There's a way to resolve differences in a professional and proper manner, then there's being a you-know-what.

To all those who claim the dealership model would prevent this scenario, please note that dealer based auto-manufactures also have a blacklist of prohibited people -- the OP could have been put on GM's list just like this guy was for allegedly exporting vehicles:

I got put on a GM blacklist - NEED HELP PLEASE!!! - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
$30k in liquidated damages? LOL Do you even know what "liquidated damages" means? How are you damaged to the tune of $30,000? Liquidated Damages are meant to compensate you for actual damages incurred - they are not an instrument for you to inflict punishment on the other party.

As far as Tesla being a monopoly - no. There are plenty of other car manufacturers to sue, errrr, choose from.

P.S. I am not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one night...

Last edited:
To all those who claim the dealership model would prevent this scenario, please note that dealer based auto-manufactures also have a blacklist of prohibited people -- the OP could have been put on GM's list just like this guy was for allegedly exporting vehicles:

I didn't realize there was a manufacturer-wide blacklist (only heard of local lists), but given there is, it completely kills the argument that the dealership would be any different. Clearly even auto manufacturers using the dealership model have a way to not sell to a particular customer.

To the OP - I have no sympathy at all for you and I side with Tesla. There's a way to resolve differences in a professional and proper manner, then there's being a you-know-what.

Not to mention, I have seen evidence of local "dealer cartels" (often many dealers in a local area are owned by a single billionaire) blacklisting folks for "offenses" like not giving them "10" on their post sales and service surveys - a whole other scam wherein dealers get kickbacks from manufacturers for supposedly providing superior service to customers. These dealers routinely strong arm customers into giving them higher than they deserve survey responses by thinly veiled threats of being blacklisted if they don't.

Strange that the OP to this forum with this story after one month! I think he still wants one and is totally startled by the reaction of Tesla. I have been in sales and customers can be a total unfair and demanding. Yes, the customer is always king but I find the reaction of Tesla very courageous.

if Montauto still wants a car I think he should go to Tesla with a nice bottle of wine and some cake and talk this whole thing over. I am sure that if he sits down with them and discuss the mutual reasonable expectations, that Tesla might reconsider.

Strange that the OP to this forum with this story after one month! I think he still wants one and is totally startled by the reaction of Tesla. I have been in sales and customers can be a total unfair and demanding. Yes, the customer is always king but I find the reaction of Tesla very courageous.

if Montauto still wants a car I think he should go to Tesla with a nice bottle of wine and some cake and talk this whole thing over. I am sure that if he sits down with them and discuss the mutual reasonable expectations, that Tesla might reconsider.

If someone made unreasonable demands (like $30k in damages if demands not met) and told me & everyone on a forum that they were taking me to court, there is not a chance I'd reconsider. Life is too short for that kind of drama.

View attachment 76189

Removed my personal info from the file.

Attached is the email I have received....

Real quick the story:

Got P85+ in September 2014

Traded P85+ and Ordered P85D in Oct 2014 with Next Gen seats

Received P85D with the old seats without anyone from Tesla to notify me.

Didn't accept delivery and the whole thing started ...

No one from Tesla was able to provide any estimate of when I can get the seats replaced.

Offered resolution to Tesla: Built the car I ordered and paid for, provide rental in the mean time and agree if you fail again to pay $30k liquidated damages.

Tesla refused.

Tesla took back the P85D and on top of that cancelled my Model X reservation.

Now I have electric charger / Wall connector at home, but no Tesla car and I lost lots of money on the trade and on lawyers.

And if Tesla did a buyback and you signed an NDA for the buyback (SOP) I have some VERY VERY bad news for you... I'll let someone else tell you what happens next.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone made unreasonable demands (like $30k in damages if demands not met) and told me & everyone on a forum that they were taking me to court, there is not a chance I'd reconsider. Life is too short for that kind of drama.

100% AGREE. He can go get a Leaf

- - - Updated - - -

As an investor in Tesla (and as such co-owner ;-) ) I hope they don't. They "anything else I can come up with" shows a mindset I wouldn't want near me or any company I was involved in.

And if Tesla did a buyback and you signed an NDA for the buyback (SOP) I have some VERY VERY bad news for you... I'll let someone else tell you what happens next.

That reminds me of the case where a guy had a settlement, his daughter facebooked/tweeted a comment about the other party paying for her vacation or something, and he had to give all the money back. Not a happy result.