Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Efficiency and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what would the EPA rating be for the window sticker? 320, 265 or a combination thereof? Or do they do a completely different test for that?

I believe 265, since the 320 was on the old test and the EPA requires the new test.

Looks like the 0.22 Cd was lost at some point in the design iterations...

Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors

Also noticed that, but didn't know enough about all that stuff to know how much worse that is. I assume anything in that range is good already, no?

This lets me reach at least 5 major metropolitan areas on a single charge from where I live in BFE! Realistically a brief top-up charge enroute will be necessary if I want to carry my whole family, cargo, use the AC (which my wife will insist upon), and the roads around here have a lot of steep hills and it's often windy. But, saying all that, a brief top up enroute will allow me to drive very comfortably to those cities and not have to resort to a gasser.

Elon just tweeted the prize is for LA to SF (300 miles). Guess I'm out for the contest.

Impressive Cd though on a car that doesn't look like they were trying to hard to make it aerodynamic.

Thanks for that GG. I'm surprised the GT-R is #11 with that behemoth front end!
The Cd only describes how aerodynamic the shape of an area is. The surface area is multiplied by the Cd. So, as was pointed out elsewhere on the forums, the Model S likely still loses more power to the wind than the Roadster does simply because ith as a larger area of attack.
Unless of course you mean the shape with "behemoth", then I apologize for misunderstanding :)

I think this is great news for all reservation holders, followers of the Model S and EV enthusiasts a like. Tesla Motors has managed to over deliver while under promising at the same time.

TM could see a jump in web traffic, store traffic and automotive press behind the news that the S can go farther than prevouisly stated.

Great work Tesla Motors!!!

It's not all good news, though. Using the 5 cycle EPA test procedure instead of 2 cycle resulted in a 265 miles range for the 85kWh. That's 12% short of 300 miles. I know Tesla stated 300 at constant 55mph. I know they warned to expect a drop of up to 30% from the new EPA 5 cycle test in earlier statements. Nevertheless, some media will report a "Tesla missed the mark by wide and clear" headline. We all know that, as well as what to think of these media. Some might run with the headline but give the full story in the body. Some will not.

I had the crazy thought of Tesla adding some 12% pack capacity but that would look like they were caught in a blunder and making up for that. Won't happen. :frown: