Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery failure 2017-2020 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,
I was wondering that anyone had battery failure for model S or X produced between 2017 till 2020? I did not see many posts about those but lot of them are about 2013-2016 model S 85 kwh battery. I am planning to buy Model S from either 2017 or directly Raven 2020 LR Model S.
Just want to get a feeling how stable these batteries were and what is the percentage failure. Is there some site where we can find this information.
Many Thanks and looking forward to you response.

Regards,
Mehul

Reactions: aerodyne and Raroia
I was wondering that anyone had battery failure for model S or X produced between 2017 till 2020? I did not see many posts about those but lot of them are about 2013-2016 model S 85 kwh battery. I am planning to buy Model S from either 2017 or directly Raven 2020 LR Model S.
Just want to get a feeling how stable these batteries were and what is the percentage failure. Is there some site where we can find this information.
I've seen some of the companies that are real in depth experts talk about it here.
The worst cases for batteries with the bad design flaws were from 2012 up through about end of 2014 or beginning of 2015. Those had bad problems with water intrusion and moisture/corrosion buildup inside, so the failure rate was pretty high on those. (I have a March 2014 and have been lucky so far.)
There were some other continued improvements I'm not as familiar with in detail, but sometime around that 2017 or 2016 time frame is basically the "modern era", where they are really good and reliable from then on.

Although my understanding is in line with what Rocky_H has described and that around 2016 batteries started to be much more robust, I would also be very interested in hearing first hand from folks that have had HV battery in model S made after 2016 👍

Reactions: mthathagar