Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla crashes into bank in Issaquah

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where a back-up beep can be a little helpful, although often the omission means you go forwards by mistake, as in this case.
Possibly more helpful would be the front radar with crash protection. And an Offed option to limit power on first move after the car was off.

I was thinking this is a good reason for creep. If creep is on, when you let off the brakes you'll know which direction the car is moving without having applied much power and with your foot still on the brake so it's quick and instinctive to jab the brake to stop it. :)
Walter

I was thinking this is a good reason for creep. If creep is on, when you let off the brakes you'll know which direction the car is moving without having applied much power and with your foot still on the brake so it's quick and instinctive to jab the brake to stop it.
Even with creep, this can happen in any type of car if a person panics.

Lets say you assume the car is in Park (or Drive, or Reverse) and you lift your foot of the brake. The car starts doing something you don't expect... creeping forward or rolling backward.

Maybe you're distracted in thought, or by a phone or just staring at some scenery, whatever the case is... the slight movement of the car causes a bit of panic. Which is silly really, it's just a little movement, but no time for your brain to think about that it's already told you to implement a solution: "Smash the brake pedal to stop this."

Only problem... in your panic, you hit the wrong pedal. You're now going forward (or backward) at an even faster rate. Panic sets in even harder and your brain reacts by telling your foot "Keep hitting the brake harder!" without contemplating that maybe, just maybe, your foot is on the accelerator instead of the brake. Again, you're in reaction mode, no time to think things through.

It's scary how easy our brains can trick us into doing something.

The only reason Tesla was called out in the title is they are still somewhat rare and people know they're expensive. Likewise, an exotic car would've been mentioned by name, but not a Ford for example.

I rode down today (on my electric bike) to check it out too...but as Alysashley79 reported, it's all boarded up (the whole side of the building, not just the hole) and pretty boring so I didn't even bother with a picture.

There were also several trucks and a couple of workers...just standing around looking like they were waiting for somebody else though.

I agree with Morbot's take...it's all about learned reflexes. These things happen too quickly to analyze it and decide on a different/better course of action consciously. That's why the driver always insists afterwards that they were braking; they were following their braking reflexes but just didn't have their feet lined up properly. That's why some have proposed that the accelerator and brake have different activating mechanisms - for example, you press down to brake but push a lever sideways to accelerate. That way your reflexes don't get you in to more trouble.

This is not really that stunning of an impact, or damage to a wall.
It takes very little to go through such a wall constructed like that.
The single-course brick is used a veneer, over metal stud exterior wall, with some thermal insulation batts and gypsum board.
Brick is used because it typically requires so little continual maintenance (washing, cleaning, repainting), and it is weather-tight.

Now, if that wall had been a cast-in-place concrete wall (with steel reinforcing inside) immediately behind it (like for a vault wall), and the brick had been a veneer on it, the wall would NOT have budged.
Yes, some of the bricks (weakest link) would have broken, but the car would certainly NOT have penetrated the wall.

And the car they would be towing away would have sustained some very serious damage, like hitting a concrete wall next to the highway.

Braking with your left foot absolutely prevents this from happening.

Both feet driving in off-street lots with the gong sound - can't easily go wrong driving this way, with some practice. The gong sound could be fed to an outside speaker in the frunk so peds can hear your EV.

[ purplewalt & billarnett, kudos + +]
--

I think the upcoming accident avoidance features on cars with the latest sensor hardware would have prevented this accident from happening, right?

Only if TACC had been enabled. I believe that is the only feature currently that will actively slow down the vehicle and apply braking. All the other safety assists are nothing more than alarms and notifications in their present incarnations.

Last edited: