Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla employee killed in crash involving FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video shows he had NoA on the freeway (not sure the model year but for certain model years (post first coming and pre second coming of EAP) that would require ownership of FSD - which has been confirmed in any case). However, this renders video inconclusive on FSDb. Have to trust the epitome and apotheosis of truth, Elon Musk, for that.
Right - I forgot that at this time the highway and city stacks were different. I still go back to Musk's statement that he hadn't downloaded the FSD software. I assume that Tesla's records and Elon musk are correct in that.

Basic Autopilot consists of two features. Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control. Techgnostic uses the word Autopilot instead of Autosteer. The phrase "Autopilot or TACC" only makes sense if using the terms incorrectly.
The common usage of "AP" is Autosteer and TACC. you see that all the time around here, too.
I won't understand how WaPo could define "rolling tire marks" as "the motor continued to feed power to the wheels after impact". Aren't rolling tire marks....marks made from a tire, while the car is in motion, aka...rolling?

Giving WaPo the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if perhaps when they talked to the State Patrol Sargent, that officer said the car continued sending power to the wheels after the impact based investigation of tire marks (under where the car was found), and the officer also separately talked about rolling tire marks. And WaPo just improperaly coflated the two parts about tire marks. More telephone.

That all being said, from this photo, it almost sort of looks like the rear left tire is sunken into the ground, like it was spinning in place. So maybe that's what the officer saw too? Given what we know about pyrofuses making this theroy highly unlikely, I wonder if this simply could be explained by the car lurching latterally after hitting the tree. And that bit of left movement sort of buring the rear left tire in the ground. Which would look a lot like the car continued sending power to the rear tires. You'd think a decent crash investigator would be able to tell this though, so I'd be suprised if they were wrong on this.

View attachment 1018809
It's hard to say here - it looks like there may have been some water/mud in the ditch (look behind the car.)
Like others, I don't know what to make of the trooper's statements regarding interpreting 'rolling tire marks' as power being applied to the wheels. From tire tracks alone you can tell if the tires are rolling or skidding, nothing else. If the tires are spinning, it may be possible to see gravel, dirt, etc that was sprayed up by the wheels but I imagine that would be very difficult to determine at a site like this. Further more, it would also be impossible to distinguish AP, TACC or the case of a driver mistaking the accelerator for the brake.

The common usage of "AP" is Autosteer and TACC. you see that all the time around here, too.
Yeah, this incorrect usage is common and always leads to questions to flesh out the intended meaning.
1000026998.jpg

Common use, I see it all the time. Saying "AP or TACC" shows the person does not really know what they are saying. Its local slang. Shows they have not read and understood the manual. I see the common phrase "I could care less" a lot where it is correctly "I couldn't care less". It shows the person trying to make a point but not knowing what they are saying.

• Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
Yeah, this incorrect usage is common and always leads to questions to flesh out the intended meaning.
View attachment 1018981
Common use, I see it all the time. Saying "AP or TACC" shows the person does not really know what they are saying. Its local slang. Shows they have not read and understood the manual. I see the common phrase "I could care less" a lot where it is correctly "I couldn't care less". It shows the person trying to make a point but not knowing what they are saying.
I think plenty of people know what they're talking about, myself included. It's not unlike a 'charger.' Technically, what people refer to as a 'charger' is the EVSE and the actual charger is in the car but common people commonly refer to EVSE as a charger, so much so that using EVSE actually become confusing.

Autopilot is technically auto steer + TACC. except having auto steer without TACC is worthless (and actually impossible the way they have the car set up.) Now to add to the confusion, Tesla adds 'enhanced' autopilot which includes auto lane change, NoA, auto park summon and smart summon. The first two of these features are essentially variations of the same thing and the last 3 really have nothing to do with what people would consider 'autopiloting'

So getting back to the original point, I see nothing wrong with using 'Autopilot' to mean auto steer + TACC.

Autopilot' to mean auto steer + TACC.
The problem is people incorrectly say "I thought Autopilot was on but only TACC was on." TACC being a feature of Autopilot makes this statement incorrect. Autopilot is engaged if any of its features are engaged. Just like saying "I installed the Tesla Wall Charger" is incorrect. It's correct name is Wall Connector.

The problem is people incorrectly say "I thought Autopilot was on but only TACC was on." TACC being a feature of Autopilot makes this statement incorrect. Autopilot is engaged if any of its features are engaged. Just like saying "I installed the Tesla Wall Charger" is incorrect. It's correct name is Wall Connector.
It's technically incorrect if you go by the strict technical definition, but not incorrect if you go by the colloquial definition. Language tends to be defined by colloquial use. As long as people understand, in context, it typically doesn't matter.

I've personally given up that fight on insisting on calling it EVSE (which few people in the general public understand anyways). If I say "go plug in the charger" even someone that has zero prior knowledge of EVs intuitively understand what I mean. If I say, "go plug in the EVSE", I get question marks.

Heck, Best Buy (the main authorized reseller of Tesla Wall connectors) calls them an "Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger":

Are people going to sue them because you don't technically get a charger when you buy one?

Yup, that's all I'm saying.
And you're making the same mistake many people here make. You're getting caught up on semantics and forgetting that the point of language is communication. When I say "charger" people know what I mean. When I way "EVSE" most people don't have a clue. If you're technically correct and can't communicate then you're still failed.

Likewise, "autopilot" vs "TACC" is perfectly clear to the majority of people. I'd rather they understand me then need to refer to the manual to know what I mean.

Edit: the other problem is TACC ≈ Adaptive cruise, something that has been available for over a decade and is in no way equated or associated with more advance driver assist modalities like autopilot.

Likewise, "autopilot" vs "TACC" is perfectly clear to the majority of people. I'd rather they understand me then need to refer to the manual to know what I mean.
Speaking in that manner doesn't make it correct.

We don't need no stinkin' manual, most people don't read it. Just go with the new Tesla street language. Some may think it's dope, extra or Gucci, its still not correct. It's not even slang,. It's linguistic lazyness, sloppy language usage.

Last edited:
I think these SGO (Standing General Order) rules are great because they capture cases outside the 30-second window (like cases where the owner incorrectly thought ADAS was engaged!)
I would guess Tesla disagrees with certain SGO aspects that result in confusion. For example, there was a Gainesville, FL accident that Tesla knew Autopilot wasn't even equipped on the 2015 vehicle, but it seems like Tesla was required to report it because media speculated Autopilot was involved. In fact, of the 2373 rows in the NHTSA SGO Level 2 ADAS Incident Report Data through January 2024, all 62 of the "Source - Media" = "Y"(es) entries are for Tesla. This then has a bad incentive loop of media speculating any Tesla accident might involve Autopilot to inflate the number of SGO reports to then allow media to write about how Tesla Autopilot must be unsafe with so many "official" NHTSA reports resulting in confusion that Autopilot must have been activated because of the report when it's actually only reflecting that Media speculated in the first place.

Speaking in that manner doesn't make it correct.

We don't need no stinkin' manual, most people don't read it. Just go with the new Tesla street language. Some may think it's dope, extra or Gucci, its still not correct. It's not even slang,. It's linguistic lazyness, sloppy language usage.
And speaking 'correctly' in a way no one understands or that leads to confusion is pointless. Again, I'd rather communicate than be a grammatical ideologue. If you're more content with miscommunication than be my guest.

Reactions: DrGriz
This then has a bad incentive loop of media speculating any Tesla accident might involve Autopilot to inflate the number of SGO reports
Sure. Small price to pay though. Don’t want to make it difficult to make reports.

Also see the scenarios I mentioned! What if someone had autopilot off for a minute but thought it was on and then had an accident. We would definitely want to know about this accident due to user error - user error is something that has to be designed out to the greatest degree possible (you can’t get rid of it). So need to know how stupid stuff happens. It’s important!
Tesla Autopilot must be unsafe
I would much prefer people think AP is unsafe than safe!

It’s not like it is some miracle tool which is dramatically driving down accident rates. It would be good to have data on this. Someday we will, but so far no data has been published so we really don’t know. I think it improves safety, but I am just guessing and have no idea.

And speaking 'correctly' in a way no one understands or that leads to confusion is pointless. Again, I'd rather communicate than be a grammatical ideologue. If you're more content with miscommunication than be my guest.
One is understanding when another uses the word Autosteer while referring to one feature of Autopilot. The other feature of basic Autopilot is Traffic Aware Cruise Control. It's not difficult, don't even gotta read the manual. Pass on the correct terminology to others my mouth.

"Rolling tire marks" could be a set of tire tracks in the dirt that have clean tread patterns, between the pavement and the tree, showing the wheels were rolling all the way to the tree. Would be pretty easy for an investigator to determine if those tracks showed braking, accelerating or coasting, if the tracks existed.

Not implying that the tracks can answer the question of whether AP or human was supplying the power to the wheels.

"Rolling tire marks" could be a set of tire tracks in the dirt that have clean tread patterns, between the pavement and the tree, showing the wheels were rolling all the way to the tree. Would be pretty easy for an investigator to determine if those tracks showed braking, accelerating or coasting, if the tracks existed.

Not implying that the tracks can answer the question of whether AP or human was supplying the power to the wheels.
Assuming they were clean, how would an investigator determine braking, coasting or acceleration, beyond something like gravel spray that I mentioned above?

WaPo reporting on an FSD-involved fatality of a Tesla employee. Did we already know about this or is this breaking news?
I thought this was a recent accident, and the possible reason immediately came to mind.

The latest FSD (11.4.9) includes a new "feature" of reading speed limits through OCR from nearby bushes. When driving at night in our neighborhood (all 25mph roads), my car constantly reads speed limits of 35, and 45 (even got 55 MPH once) and accelerates hard, scaring the hell out of our local deer population. I thought that would be deadly when driving in the mountains...

But this wasn't recent though, phew... 😙

By “rolling tire marks,” they mean the tires continuing to spin after impact. The rotating assembly of motor, half shafts and wheels has a lot of inertia, causing them to continue spinning for a few revolutions after impact - a brief burnout. This combined with a lack of tire marks from braking/ABS is an indicator that the driver didn’t apply the brakes at all.