Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla employee killed in crash involving FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tread pattern distortion.
That seems like it would be very difficult to interpret. I have no experience in crash investigation so I could be wrong but I have a hard time seeing how one could tell from distortion of the tread pattern.
By “rolling tire marks,” they mean the tires continuing to spin after impact. The rotating assembly of motor, half shafts and wheels has a lot of inertia, causing them to continue spinning for a few revolutions after impact - a brief burnout. This combined with a lack of tire marks from braking/ABS is an indicator that the driver didn’t apply the brakes at all.
That makes more sense and would fit with a couple potential scenarios mentioned above.

I have a friend who’s a cop - I’ll ask him about it.

Here’s another case, which in my opinion has no merit whatsoever.

Tesla has a plain English, short, and strongly worded disclaimer when you activate FSD. It literally says it “may do the worse thing at the worse time” and that you must, at all time, pay attention and be ready to intervene.

This guy died. It’s sad. But this guy was also playing a game on his phone when he crashed. How can these people sue? I don’t get it.

Tesla has a plain English, short, and strongly worded disclaimer when you activate FSD. It literally says it “may do the worse thing at the worse time” and that you must, at all time, pay attention and be ready to intervene.

A disclaimer that did not exist (nor did FSD as anything but a thing they sold that did literally nothing in the car) in 2018 when the accident happened.

The disclaimer you mention didn't exist until FSDb was offered to first customers in October 2020

The driver wasn't on FSD. He was on Autopilot with NoA (which also has a disclaimer, though it's not quite as emphatic as the current FSDb one)

I agree it's still his fault for not paying attention of course- all of these systems are only L2 ADAS, and Tesla DOES tell you that, in multiple ways.

Reactions: MikeChicago
A disclaimer that did not exist (nor did FSD as anything but a thing they sold that did literally nothing in the car) in 2018 when the accident happened.

The disclaimer you mention didn't exist until FSDb was offered to first customers in October 2020

The driver wasn't on FSD. He was on Autopilot with NoA (which also has a disclaimer, though it's not quite as emphatic as the current FSDb one)

I agree it's still his fault for not paying attention of course- all of these systems are only L2 ADAS, and Tesla DOES tell you that, in multiple ways.

Thank you for adding this insight. You made a very good point. I didn’t realize this accident happened almost six years ago.

Thank you for adding this insight. You made a very good point. I didn’t realize this accident happened almost six years ago.
Granted it sounds like the accident you linked had to do with Autopilot lane centering while lanes split, and then a median appeared between the two split lanes. The guy driving wasn't paying attention and should be at fault, however I still see this issue in Autopilot today, 6 years later. When there's a lane split, the car centers in the middle of the two lanes with complete disregard to all other factors (like an incoming median). Annoying/jarring at best and dangerous at worst. I wouldn't mind if this case makes Tesla update Autopilot and fix lane centering. Especially considering they've focused all effort for the past few years on FSD and have given Autopilot no meaningful updates, while other manufacturers are passing Tesla on their level 2 assist features.

Reactions: MikeChicago
How about a news story about every person who fell asleep and Tesla's AP/FSD prevented an accident?

I know of one coworker who did exactly that.

I also know of another coworker who wasn't driving a Tesla and got into a severe accident.
That is exactly what happened to me. I'm almost sure I would have died had it not been for my Tesla. I spent the entire day flying, and was super tired, and my daughter called and needed help with my sick grandkids. No way to get a red-eye from Cali to PHX at that time of night so I hit the road and drive the 5 hours to Phoenix. Just as I was getting there, I woke up to the car being really upset at me with oncoming traffic coming the other direction. Why I will never know for sure if my car saved me from an accident, I can bet what may have happened in a regular car - drifting into oncoming traffic and hitting a semi head-on at 70 mph!

By “rolling tire marks,” they mean the tires continuing to spin after impact. The rotating assembly of motor, half shafts and wheels has a lot of inertia, causing them to continue spinning for a few revolutions after impact - a brief burnout. This combined with a lack of tire marks from braking/ABS is an indicator that the driver didn’t apply the brakes at all.
Yo Earl. You're a pretty smart guy. Can you give an example of where there might be tire marks from braking? I've never known a Tesla to leave tire marks even with hard braking due to the anti-skid ability. Maybe I'm just not thinking clearing this morning :)