Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers in western Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a rumor of a permit pending in Wytheville, VA

Yes, and the pending permit is within the town of Wytheville, not the county. Here is a map of the town limits. Google map link.

Screenshot 2015-11-12 19.00.31.png

I hope to find out more info on Monday and will post what I learn.

-Lanny

Wytheville only makes sense if constructed in concert with the one said to be coming to Lexington.

Might be time to follow up with Lexington, VA officials about a permit there. jthompson emailed them in September.

The problem with a "Lexington Supercharger" is that there is already one in Lexington, KY. :frown:

-Lanny

Wytheville only makes sense if constructed in concert with the one said to be coming to Lexington.

Might be time to follow up with Lexington, VA officials about a permit there. jthompson emailed them in September.

The problem with a "Lexington Supercharger" is that there is already one in Lexington, KY. :frown:

Lexington, VA is the place to look.

Don't worry about Lexington, VA vs Lexington, KY; there is already Greenville, AL and Greenville, SC along with Greenwich, CT and East Greenwich, RI. :biggrin:

It's approximately 227 miles between Strasburg and Wytheville. That's pushing it even in an 85 during the winter. :frown:

Having not taken delivery, I have no real world experience, but I have been playing with the mileage calculator on the website. How accurate is that? It says that at 32F with the heat on and traveling 60mph, the 70D is good for 235 miles. Now, coming from the north, you're also going to be going down the mountains more than up, so regen would help a little. Would it be possible to make that trip if you hypermiled (55-60mph)? Or is the calculator very optimistic? I ask because this is the single most important trip I make (MD to SC via 81 and 77).

I wouldn't drive I-81 at 55-60 mph due to prevailing speed of traffic, including many trucks........although I guess you could do that behind a truck going uphill, then regen going down.

I usually do the drive at night. Traffic isn't too bad. Speed limits bounce between 65 and 70 most of the way, so I don't think 60 would be too bad and do 55 when conditions permit. Also looks like there are plenty of other types of chargers for getting an extra few miles here and there. Will be awesome once 81 is fully supercharged. I have a NEMA 6-50 available in SC.

I did the drive south on I-81 in my P85D back in... July I think, before there was a supercharger in Strasburg, VA, using CHAdeMO stations. I just kept behind some trucks a lot of the way and took it easy. I'm pretty sure I could easily have made Strasburg to Wytheville if those superchargers existed at the time.

Winter... maybe. Probably would have been a little cold, but could probably have done it.

It's approximately 227 miles between Strasburg and Wytheville. That's pushing it even in an 85 during the winter. :frown:

Confirmed: Permits are pending, but not yet issued, for Tesla Superchargers in Wytheville and Lexington Virginia.

I spoke to the building officials in both locations and plans were submitted about a week ago. Wytheville plans are for four stalls.

The latest 2015 Supercharger map from Tesla shows pins in the vicinity of Staunton, and Bristol in addition to Wytheville and Lexington. These four locations would connect Strasburg with Knoxville with the longest span being about 120 miles.

There's also still a pin near Charlottesville on the 2015 map.

-Lanny

Nice! I believe just those two would be enough to make the connection, albeit with a bit of a long segment between Wytheville and Knoxville. It's just short of 200 miles from the center of Wytheville to the Knoxville supercharger. EVTripPlanner says 208 rated miles southbound, 225 rated miles northbound. Tricky for our 60 bretheren, fine for others but you'll want to charge pretty high. The other segments are around 120 miles, no sweat.

I drove from Lynchburg (with an almost full charge of 270 miles) to Sandston (southeast of Richmond) to the Glen Allen SC (for a charge up to about 250 miles) and then to Harrisonburg, VA and back to Lynchburg today (about 378 miles all told) and I still had about 30 miles of range when I arrived back home. I drafted trucks on I-64 going about 63 MPH (using Autopilot, of course) and then drafted a truck from Harrisonburg to about Lexington on I-81 (going about 68-70). The drafting (1 car length using TACC) definitely helped and the warmer weather and low wind were also positive factors.

With that said, a SC in Charlottesville (if located just off of I-64) and one in Lexington (again, near I-81) would make the planning for this trip a non-event. I'm looking forward to those days!

Keep in mind, if you are cruising down I-81, there's destination charging in Christiansburg at the Holiday Inn Express. The folks there are super friendly and you don't have to stay there to use the HPWC. It is slower, but it's better than nothing ;)

Good luck driving in Southwest VA before the SuperChargers are in place. It can be done with proper planning and execution.

Confirmed: Permits are pending, but not yet issued, for Tesla Superchargers in Wytheville and Lexington Virginia.

I spoke to the building officials in both locations and plans were submitted about a week ago. Wytheville plans are for four stalls.

The latest 2015 Supercharger map from Tesla shows pins in the vicinity of Staunton, and Bristol in addition to Wytheville and Lexington. These four locations would connect Strasburg with Knoxville with the longest span being about 120 miles.

There's also still a pin near Charlottesville on the 2015 map.

-Lanny

Good news.

I just used the Strasburg supercharger for the first time for a "Western VA Brewery Field Trip" this last Saturday. Total mileage was ~367 miles from my place in Ashburn, VA. The Strasburg charger is about 60 miles from my place, so I topped off to about 245 rated miles there. The route continued down to Staunton for 2 stops at local breweries, then on to Afton (south on I-81 then 64 East about halfway to Charlottesville), where we hit two more.

That's a 240+ mile round trip back to the supercharger. With the speed limits along that corridor (70MPH, traffic does 80), some elevation change, and colder weather, that's a non-starter for a single charge.

Fortunately, there's a NEMA 14-50 in Staunton in the public lot right behind the breweries there. I was able plug in for ~2.5 hours and put about 70 miles back in to the pack. That allowed me to make it back with about 35 miles of range to spare.

Had there been a supercharger in Lexington, the whole trip would have been a no-brainer. I would have saved the initial ~40 minute top-off in Strasburg, and not have had to hope the stall adjacent to that single 14-50 was free in Staunton.

While Lexington is only ~110 miles from the Strasburg supercharger, it's at the junction of 64, so I think it's a very useful location in addition to Wytheville.

Will have to use the opening of the Lexington charger as an excuse to go hit the breweries again....