Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers in western Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be at a client's site daily from Monday to Wednesday. I've been working so much remotely for clients lately, I'm looking forward to being "out and about" for once. Being able to bill for the travel is an added bonus, lol. Thanks for the offer, I'll touch base if I know I'll be back in/around the area. Likewise, if you find yourself in Lynchburg, let me know ;)
Watcha doin' in Cville, swengl? I'll be out of town, but otherwise would love to meet you for coffee. Here's a little summary on the chargers I've used in and around Cville: (Pls use plugshare for directions)

1) Cville Downtown Mall- Pay for parking, but free HPWC (up to 100amps) at the lot off Water Street behind the bank. Great place to charge and roam/eat/dally. Lots to do.
2) Hyatt Place at Stonefield- Clipper Creek HPWC advertised for guests only, but was able to park and charge at 21-22mph. Can walk to shops/food/movie theater, etc.
3) Sigora Solar in Waynesboro- Free J1772. Not much around, bring a magazine. Take a nap. A long nap.
4) The Iris Inn is a destination charge BnB off Exit 96. - HPWC for patrons only, but very friendly folks. They'll probably let you charge if in a bind, but if you are close to the Iris Inn, and need emergency charge, I live a mile away and have a NEMA 14-50 outside my garage. Contact me. I won't sic the dog on the stranger with the nice car in the driveway.

Other options in Cville, but I haven't used personally:
1) Homewood Suites on 29N- now has Chademo! Hotel's owned by a friend of mine with a P85, been meaning to visit.
2) Nissan dealership on 29N now also has Chademo. (Go Cville)
3) If at UVA, Central Garage has a J1772, but have to pay for parking and small fee for charging. Max 4hrs.
4) Downtown Staunton has a Chademo as well. $$

Also lots of options in Cville for destination charging: Oakhurst Inn, Clifton Inn, Keswick, Foxfield Inn and two hotels above. So promising to see infrastructure.

I'm taking a trip next week to Boyce staying with some girlfriends at a destination Charger BnB up there, and in August, a late night trip coming from work (Harrisonburg) to Arlington. Sure keeping my fingers crossed for Strasburg to go online soon. I will take pics if I drive through there next week.

Happy trails!

I used the Charlottesville downtown mall HPWC (1st St.) a couple of days ago. The lot was nearly full but no one parked in the EV charging spot so I parked and plugged into the HPWC. It delivered about 50 miles/hr (I have dual chargers). Parking is $3/hr and limited to one hour in that spot. My back HPWC was going to be at the Keswick club where they have two HPWCs. Guests can charge for free if they dine there--they have a nice restaurant and a bar that serves food. The downtown mall has numerous shopping and restaurants to choose from.

I used the Charlottesville downtown mall HPWC (1st St.) a couple of days ago. The lot was nearly full but no one parked in the EV charging spot so I parked and plugged into the HPWC. It delivered about 50 miles/hr (I have dual chargers). Parking is $3/hr and limited to one hour in that spot. My back HPWC was going to be at the Keswick club where they have two HPWCs. Guests can charge for free if they dine there--they have a nice restaurant and a bar that serves food. The downtown mall has numerous shopping and restaurants to choose from.

Keswick is a phenomenal resort (though quite pricey), and I've always had wonderful food and service there. My company sends groups of us there for offsite meetings every year, and they were very excited to have me use their HPWC when I was there last month. I had asked them about charging last year, and the best they could do was a 50' extension cord to a 120V outlet that got me maybe 1mph. (Thankfully I didn't need much and had other options.) So when I was getting ready to ask them this year I was thrilled to see they had taken advantage of Tesla's Destination Charging program.

I stopped at Keswick last weekend. They graciously allowed me to charge for an hour while I sat in the bar (and drank iced tea). Their HPWC provided 80A, about 55 miles over an hour. This allows met have an easy trip from Roanoke to Woodbridge. What a nice resort.

Another Charlottesville option is the Oakhurst Inn and its cafe. I charged at the cafe (HPWC, only 40 amps), a couple of weeks ago. I ate brunch there on a Saturday then attended a UVA football game. They allowed me to park and charge while I was at the game. They are in downtown Charlottesville, very convenient to the university.

So obviously they'll need at least one more SC between Strasburg and Wytheville. Staunton or Lexington would appear to be the most obvious options. Any word on that?

A Tesla rep mentioned Lexington and Charlottesville during the opening event at the Tysons Corner showroom / service center earlier this year, although nobody has confirmed anything more specific as far as I know. Staunton is widely expected as well (speculation based on Tesla's future maps).

Source: Five New Tesla Supercharger Locations Coming to Virginia | Plug In Sites EV Charging Stations
(Credit to @andrewket for the video.)

A Tesla rep mentioned Lexington and Charlottesville during the opening event at the Tysons Corner showroom / service center earlier this year, although nobody has confirmed anything more specific as far as I know. Staunton is widely expected as well (speculation based on Tesla's future maps).

Source: Five New Tesla Supercharger Locations Coming to Virginia | Plug In Sites EV Charging Stations
(Credit to @andrewket for the video.)

Thanks for the link! Lexington and C'ville make perfect sense for both the I-64 and I-81 routes. Staunton then seems redundant, but I won't complain.

I emailed the Director of Planning & Development for Lexington VA and his response was as follows: "We do not currently have a charging station, nor have we heard about one being proposed in our area. I looked at the TESLA amp and see that there is a station near Lexington, Kentucky, but nothing near Lexington, VA (Zip Code 24450) The Virginia stations seem to be in the I-95 corridor north of Richmond, the I-95 corridor near Prince William County, and near the intersection of I-66 and I-81." Then I emailed the Rockbridge County Building Permit folks, and they said "No permit has been issued & no discussions have been initiated."

The DC Fast Charger in downtown Blacksburg is now operational. We used it today on our return north after driving 200 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

It delivered 132 mi/hr and we easily made it to Strasburg after charging to 90% on our 70D. It is free to use and you don't need a card or smartphone app of any kind.

A unique aspect of this charging station is that it talks to you. See the video.

Lanny

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard from reliable sources that Lexington, VA and Wytheville, Va are getting Superchargers pretty soon. Keep an eye out.

See Google Maps — Strasburg to Knoxville. With these two coming, it looks like there is only one more Supercharger needed between Wytheville, Va and Knoxville, TN to finish the southern part of I-81!

Current, approximate spacings are:
  • Strasburg, VA — Start
  • Lexington, VA — 113 miles
  • Wytheville, VA — 119 miles
  • Knoxville, TN — 195 miles

I've heard from reliable sources that Lexington, VA and Wytheville, Va are getting Superchargers pretty soon. Keep an eye out.

See Google Maps — Strasburg to Knoxville. With these two coming, it looks like there is only one more Supercharger needed between Wytheville, Va and Knoxville, TN to finish the southern part of I-81!

• Strasburg, VA — Start

This would be great. Not getting my hopes up, but, I really like I-81 vs I-95 for my trips. I did it with the CHAdeMO adapter and a couple of stops, but it took way longer than I would like, even vs I-95's traffic.

Strasburg is ~340 miles from my house, so pretty impossible to reach without secondary charging. Either one of Lexington or Wytheville would make it possible to do this on clear mild temperature days without much slowing down. Both being operation would make it a piece of cake even in winter.

Can't wait. :)

• Strasburg, VA — Start

I have been waiting for I-81 for a long time. Hope Wytheville is finished first. With Wytheville, trip to DC or Richmond would be doable and the quickest route from Knoxville.

The DC Fast Charger in downtown Blacksburg is now operational. We used it today on our return north after driving 200 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

It delivered 132 mi/hr and we easily made it to Strasburg after charging to 90% on our 70D. It is free to use and you don't need a card or smartphone app of any kind.

Is there any way to determine if this charger will be in use? Is there a time limit on it?

Is there any way to determine if this charger will be in use? Is there a time limit on it?

Since this station is currently free and isn't connected to a network, i.e. Greenlots, there is no way to tell if it is in use or not via a remote app.

There is a sign at the station that indicates a 30 minute limit.

-Lanny