Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cost? Free or not - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if Tesla included 400kWh per year to Model 3 owners. However, I believe that Tesla wants to set the X and S models apart from the Model 3.

My personal thoughts on Supercharging could be among the following:

The first year of ownership might receive 400 kWh free, then pay-as-you-go. No renewals.
The annual allotment of complimentary electricity might be a lesser quantity, perhaps 200kWh per year, followed by pay-as-you-go.
Unlimited Supercharger usage might be available as a paid cost upon configuration (with a higher activation cost post-delivery) of the largest battery available for sale.
Existing owners of roadsters, S and X might get a small emolument for Supercharging their Model 3 as Elon's "gift" to us.
Zero, zip, nada--all pay as you go.

If there is one thing for certain, it is that Tesla will undoubtedly change horses a few times in midstream, so what is offered at the git-go, may not be offered six months later.

Nobody knows for sure, but it seems unlikely .
There's speculation that it may include a grant of free usage but it's speculation at this point
It will be at least 400 kWh. Tesla tried to "take away" free supercharging before, now gives it with any referral code. Codes are given out like candy on these forums, so basically it is still free supercharging for ALL. It is used as a "get supercharging for free before it's gone" propaganda to try to sell more S and X before the 3 comes.

In recent months Model S and Model X have either been free for life, or 400 kWh a year free then pay per use.
I imagine (expect) the Model 3 to be in the latter category but no one is sure and Tesla can apply different terms to new car purchases in the future

I hope it's not free, Considering how cheap it is to charge and how crowded some superchargers have been already, I'd rather have to pay a small fee and charge quickly than wait for the freeloaders to unclog the system.

I agree. If Tesla includes any free at all I think it would be one time only on new purchases. This allows new owners to experience it. I'm fine with paying the minimal cost compared to gas. Regular fuel where I live in Canada is about $5 per gallon ($4 US gallon). Off peak home at $0.15/ kWh.

I believe it will depend on the margins they achieve with the car. The math isn't terribly complicated to figure out what they believe a driver will use over time. For the sake of simplicity, they should probably cap it at 5 or 10 years though instead of making it for a lifetime.

I agree. If Tesla includes any free at all I think it would be one time only on new purchases. This allows new owners to experience it. I'm fine with paying the minimal cost compared to gas. Regular fuel where I live in Canada is about $5 per gallon ($4 US gallon). Off peak home at $0.15/ kWh.
Well....a large amount of Tesla owners are concentrated in California and our electricity is not 0.15/kWh. I installed a 6.12 kW solar system that covers 112% of my yearly usage to account for my upcoming Model 3 and have free charging at work, however, for longer trips like my day trip to Yosemite 2 days ago, I hope I have at minimum the 400 kWh's/year.

My guess is that they'll give the 400kWh for first few years (1-3), and then only paid.

My hope is that 1st day reservation get free for first few years, but most likely not.
400 kWh in my area is about $42 if they offered it for 20 years at that price it's $840 at the commercial rate this is only $680. This could easily be built into the price of the car.
There are two important factors... First, not everyone will use the full 400 kWh in any given year. Second, as they transition superchargers to be solar and/or off grid, actual electricity costs for Tesla will decrease over time.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if they'll ever sell supercharger gift cards for supercharger credits...

For 100% certain it won't be free. There have been issues with people abusing SCs with the S/X - charging at the SCs because they didn't want to pay for power at their homes. It will be far worse with a less expensive car.
I'm okay with being charged for it, but as someone without access to nightly charging, I hope it won't create an issue for others. I anticipate that I'll be charging my car 2 times per week, on average. My goal will be to keep it in that 20-80% state of charge window by charging twice a week.

I'm okay with being charged for it, but as someone without access to nightly charging, I hope it won't create an issue for others. I anticipate that I'll be charging my car 2 times per week, on average. My goal will be to keep it in that 20-80% state of charge window by charging twice a week.
You can always try to lobby your workplace for destination chargers in your parking lot.

Nobody knows.

I'm expecting it to be the "new" Supercharger plan with a fee to enable.
- All cars will have the hardware (as stated at the reveal).
- Pay a fee to enable it. Includes 400kWh per year.
- Plus pay per use.

I think that that would be the most sensible approach, because:
- it allows people who won't use Superchargers in the near future (I think I hear a low moan from Saskatchewan) not to have to pay for it
- makes people who do make use of what is a low-volume network make a realistic contribution to the infrastructure cost
- gives people a sensible amount of access each year that makes some "emergency" travel easy
- allows the PAYG fees better to match the electricity cost instead of having to cover the infrastructure.

Last edited:
From a fairly reliable source "Model 3, from the beginning we said free charging is not included in the Model 3 – free unlimited charging is not included, so, free long distance is, but not free local. It becomes really unwieldy for people to use the gas station approach for electric cars, like, cars should really be charged where you charge your phone, but then you just need to solve the long distance problem which is what the supercharger stations will do." - Elon Musk

I would much rather pay for charging then cell data in the car. I really think with grocery card rewards, credit card rewards, destination chargers and free yearly credits that I will never pay to use a Supercharger.

From a fairly reliable source "Model 3, from the beginning we said free charging is not included in the Model 3 – free unlimited charging is not included, so, free long distance is, but not free local. It becomes really unwieldy for people to use the gas station approach for electric cars, like, cars should really be charged where you charge your phone, but then you just need to solve the long distance problem which is what the supercharger stations will do." - Elon Musk

That was about 7 months ago, which gives you a guide to what he was thinking at the time.