Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys new to the forum here. Apologize if this has been discussed already.

So I bought my model 3 performance last year it had the michlien 4S tires all around. One day my rear left tire got a nail on the side of the tire and I had my car towed to the nearest tire shop. I ended up getting a Bridgestone performance tire…. I did not do an alignment after 20 K miles my car is having very bad vibrations above 75-85 mph the whole passenger seat shakes and I can heavily feel it. Not sure what to do any advice thanks in advance

balancing a wheel and tire means ensuring the weight is equally distributed along the circumference of the wheel. this is done by adding small weights to the wheel when needed. if the system is not in balanced, it causes wobbles and vibrations.

the whole procedure is very inexpensive and can be done by any tire shop. it is not the same as "alignment".

also, did you replace both tires on the axle or only 1 tire? you should not mix and match because different tires have different properties.

Hi guys new to the forum here. Apologize if this has been discussed already.

So I bought my model 3 performance last year it had the michlien 4S tires all around. One day my rear left tire got a nail on the side of the tire and I had my car towed to the nearest tire shop. I ended up getting a Bridgestone performance tire…. I did not do an alignment after 20 K miles my car is having very bad vibrations above 75-85 mph the whole passenger seat shakes and I can heavily feel it. Not sure what to do any advice thanks in advance
Definitely sounds like a balance issue. Don't hesitate to stop by your local Discount/America's Tire store where they will do a free tire inspection. Tire balance on factory tires not purchased from Discount/America's tire would be charged a one time fee but performed free of charge after the initial cost. The balance would be guaranteed for the life of the tire.

Reactions: phattbam
So I bought my model 3 performance last year it had the michlien 4S tires all around. One day my rear left tire got a nail on the side of the tire and I had my car towed to the nearest tire shop. I ended up getting a Bridgestone performance tire….

That was not wise.
You do NOT want tires of different model, never mind make, on the same axle.

But what's done is done.

I did not do an alignment after 20 K miles my car is having very bad vibrations above 75-85 mph the whole passenger seat shakes and I can heavily feel it. Not sure what to do any advice thanks in advance

Alignment has nothing to do with your wheel vibrations.
In all likelihood, you have either a bent wheel, or lost weights that were glued to one of the wheels during initial tire installation and balancing.
It is highly unlikely that you need an alignment (unless whatever bent your wheel also bent a suspension component or two), but you very likely need to have wheels re-balanced.

Tesla wants $350 for a wheel alignment isn’t that crazy

Tesla rips us off on service, and is not particularly good at either tire installation or balancing, or wheel alignment.
None of this is great.
All of this is avoidable if you take your car to competent independent shops instead.

Discount Tire will balance them for you for free.

No, they wont.
They will balance them for you during installation (assuming you paid for it), but subsequent re-balancing would be included.
I've had very crappy experiences with DT. Some shops are good, others are a total inept disaster. Finding which one is which is a hassle.

Instead, I would pick one of the TireRack certified installers in your area. They tend to be higher end shops with equipment that is actually calibrated and maintained properly:

balancing a wheel and tire means ensuring the weight is equally distributed along the circumference of the wheel. this is done by adding small weights to the wheel when needed. if the system is not in balanced, it causes wobbles and vibrations.

the whole procedure is very inexpensive and can be done by any tire shop. it is not the same as "alignment".

also, did you replace both tires on the axle or only 1 tire? you should not mix and match because different tires have different properties.
Thank you for you’re kind respond, to answer you’re question I did not replace 2 tires only 1 tire was replaced. So in the back it’s the Michelin 4s tire with a Bridgestone… do you think that could be the problem

Thank you for you’re kind respond, to answer you’re question I did not replace 2 tires only 1 tire was replaced. So in the back it’s the Michelin 4s tire with a Bridgestone… do you think that could be the problem
it *can* be very problematic.

2 tires of the same nominal size (eg 235/30/r20) *may* have different rolling diameter. add to that the fact that 1 tire is worn down and the other is brand new, so its larger, contributing to potential differences in physical size.

when the wheel speed sensors detects thats the 2 wheels are spinning at different speeds, it may think that theres some traction issues, and apply correct actions like braking the faster wheel.

thats is theoretical. it could very be likely that the tire shop didnt balance the wheel correctly, or the wheel weights fell off and became imbalanced.

either way its a bit irresponsible for the wheel shop to replace just 1 tire on an axle just like that without warning you of the implication. you should buy a new bridgestone tire to match the other one. at 20,000 miles youre near due for replacement anyway.

Reactions: afadeev
I was quoted $400 for alignment at Goodyear shop "its a Tesla", $350 at local performance shop "it is easier than regular car, but we are ocd, so 2hrs labor" and wheel works did it for $120 ! But for vibration I would start with good balance *Hunter RoadForce) ..... and have the suspension components checked for wear while they have the wheels off.

Wait! Am I understa
Wait. You have two different make and model of tires on the same axle? Yes, I would rectify that first. Who does that?

Replace both rear tires with a matching pair.

Reactions: afadeev
So I bought my model 3 performance last year it had the michlien 4S tires all around. One day my rear left tire got a nail on the side of the tire and I had my car towed to the nearest tire shop. I ended up getting a Bridgestone performance tire….

Why did you put a non-matching brand and tire on your car?
Has anything else happened as you were collecting nails in tires? Hit anything? Ran over anything? How did you manage to imbed a nail in the SIDE of a tire?

I did not do an alignment after 20 K miles

This does not matter.
Alignment is not a mileage-based activity.

my car is having very bad vibrations above 75-85 mph the whole passenger seat shakes and I can heavily feel it.

That is a strange description of vibration. Passenger seat shakes? Are you in it?
What about the driver's seat? Steering wheel?

Your problem description is not specific enough to to identify the root cause of your problem.
But having non-matching tires brands and models on the same axle is a big no-no.

Start by fixing that, and work with a tire shop that knows what they are doing.
The clowns who sold you non-matching tires on the same axle should never get a dime of your business again!

HTH,
a

Reactions: rpiotro