Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Chicago Area -Summer Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a common practice among car manufacturers for sport versions - my 2001 Audi A4 with a sport suspension was delivered with summer tires in Pennsylvania in February. I drove directly to my tire shop and had winter tires, that I'd pre-ordered, put on.
Ever since then I've kept two sets of wheels/tires for my cars, whether they are sport versions or not. Having winter tires gives me much better traction then all-seasons in snow/ice.

That is a common practice among car manufacturers for sport versions - my 2001 Audi A4 with a sport suspension was delivered with summer tires in Pennsylvania in February. I drove directly to my tire shop and had winter tires, that I'd pre-ordered, put on.
Ever since then I've kept two sets of wheels/tires for my cars, whether they are sport versions or not. Having winter tires gives me much better traction then all-seasons in snow/ice.
I've always wondered, what's the rule for switching between summer/winter tires?

Just heard back from Tesla that all Model 3/Y performance models get delivered with summer tires.

Anyone in the Chicago region take delivery on a car that had all seasons?

Why would Tesla deliver to this region with summer tires?
“Performance” cars need performance tires in order to perform… (sorry ;-)

I bought a set of winter tires and wheels before my first Chicago winter with my M3P. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: rpiotro
The thumb rule(atleast in Canada) is you need Winter tires when its consistently below 7C/44F

As for why Summer tires, I guess they assume that if you are buying a performance vehicle, you need a set of tires that give you the best performance. They cant quote same performance figures with an all season or winter tire setup and then people will complain why did Tesla sell them low performance cars LoL

Reactions: rpiotro