Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All-Season tire recommendations for a 2023 LR Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
Going on a long-duration road trip this summer and plan to proactively replace my original tires, which already have 37k on them. Of course, I can always go with another set of the OEM tires from Tesla, but I'm curious if anyone has other recommendations for quiet tires with good all-season performance.

My X has 265/45-20F and 275/45-20R

TireRack is only showing four EV-tuned tires. Neither of the two all-seasons jumps out at me as substantially better than the OEM tires. Anything else out there to consider? Thoughts?

I have a 2017 model X with the same size tires as you. Coming up on 90,000 miles. I had used the OEM Continentals for the first 80,000 miles. With the last tire change in June 2023 I selected Yokohama XL Geolandar. They were notably cheaper and said to have better tread life.

10,000 miles into these tires….. I can’t really tell any difference in the performance or noise. The decrease in efficiency, though, is very notable. Here is my actual/rated mile efficiency for the OEM tires (top line) vs Yokohama’s (bottom line). It’s like waking up one day and losing 10% of the battery capacity. It really impacts road trips.
IMG_7332.jpeg

Going on a long-duration road trip this summer and plan to proactively replace my original tires, which already have 37k on them. Of course, I can always go with another set of the OEM tires from Tesla, but I'm curious if anyone has other recommendations for quiet tires with good all-season performance.

My X has 265/45-20F and 275/45-20R

TireRack is only showing four EV-tuned tires. Neither of the two all-seasons jumps out at me as substantially better than the OEM tires. Anything else out there to consider? Thoughts?

Nice post. I'm a fan of the Michelin CrossClimate2 XL for performance and longevity. I did lose some efficiency (see below) but not bad if you keep your tire pressure up. We have changed our tires a couple times right before big roadtrips.

I have a 2017 model X with the same size tires as you. Coming up on 90,000 miles. I had used the OEM Continentals for the first 80,000 miles. With the last tire change in June 2023 I selected Yokohama XL Geolandar. They were notably cheaper and said to have better tread life.

10,000 miles into these tires….. I can’t really tell any difference in the performance or noise. The decrease in efficiency, though, is very notable. Here is my actual/rated mile efficiency for the OEM tires (top line) vs Yokohama’s (bottom line). It’s like waking up one day and losing 10% of the battery capacity. It really impacts road trips.
View attachment 1022843

Great graph. It looks like TeslaFI but all be dang if I can find it there. Can you give me the URL or step-by-step menu location?
I'm so happy with our Michelin CrossClimate2 XL that I'd likely get them again. We are going to put them on our Gen 2 Volt as well that our kid will get in the future.

YwdBjeW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: theflyer
Heard good things about the new Hankook iON EVO AS SUV tires.... available in Model X sizing and load ratings.

TireRack doesn't carry them but DiscountTires does.

Big fan of the Michelin CC2's as well. Had them on both my Model 3's and they were great in hot or cold here in NJ with awesome treadwear life even driven hard daily! 👿
I second the motion for the Hankooks. I did not know my X could be so quiet! I'd ask TireRack about Hankook even though they may not "carry" them, I'd bet they can get them.

Great graph. It looks like TeslaFI but all be dang if I can find it there. Can you give me the URL or step-by-step menu location?
Yes, it is Teslafi. There are addition filters you can add in the Drives - Temperature Efficiency graph. I split it by date, using the date we changed tires. When you hit compare with, it expands the filter box to give second set of criteria.

IMG_7334.jpeg

I would be really interested in seeing before/after for other tires, for anyone who is a longterm Teslafi user.

Yes, it is Teslafi. There are addition filters you can add in the Drives - Temperature Efficiency graph. I split it by date, using the date we changed tires. When you hit compare with, it expands the filter box to give second set of criteria.
<snip>
I would be really interested in seeing before/after for other tires, for anyone who is a longterm Teslafi user.
Well, I'm happy to give it a shot since I track my maintenance in a spreadsheet and have entered it into TeslaFI. I'm going to tell my wife that someone is weirder/nerdier than I am ... just so you know ;)

My tires were the same in the 1st two sets so I 'combined' those (date-range-wise) in TeslaFI chart below.

Tire sets begin (from my maint spreadsheet):
lHK1v9z.jpg

Criteria in "Speed Efficiency" TeslaFI reporting:
wVLyGBs.jpg

Interesting results as the tire efficiency crossed paths depending on speed.
PS6VJhs.jpg

Interesting results as the tire efficiency was mostly better on Continentals on temperature.
b5NEpGi.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigriver
I'll be moving to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season tires once the Conti's my MYLR came with need to be replaced.

My position is that you don't need EV-Tuned tires. Or noise-damping foam. Your priorities may differ of course.

Reactions: theflyer
Great info. Thanks. I had no idea about the TeslaFi functionality described above. Very neat. I'll leverage that when I get the new tires.

Still unsure what to do. We have the CrossClimate's on my wife's 2013 Volt and have been quite happy with them, but the efficiency hit is something I need to ponder. I'm into big trips that sometimes include pushing range to the limit, so I'm not enthused about taking both the battery degradation and tire efficiency hits.

Unbelievably, it seems there are no Discount Tire shops in the greater Washington DC area. I had no idea.

My battery is doing pretty well after 37,000 miles, but I expect that'll continue to decline to about a 10% range loss over the coming years. It'll be interesting to see where things stand after four months on the road this summer. I pretty much only supercharge, even when at home, as we don't have L2 charging at our condo.

1709178337648.png

1709178351703.png

Heard good things about the new Hankook iON EVO AS SUV tires.... available in Model X sizing and load ratings.

TireRack doesn't carry them but DiscountTires does.

Big fan of the Michelin CC2's as well. Had them on both my Model 3's and they were great in hot or cold here in NJ with awesome treadwear life even driven hard daily! 👿
Looking into the Hankooks. There is a shop just down the road that sells them. Their website touts their efficiency as a key feature. Has anyone seen a reputable review of them?

@theflyer, so is it a specific game to stop at as many as superchargers as possible? I specifically notice you have hit all 5 east of Pittsburgh on the turnpike and most on I-81 in Virginia. Two locations I looked at the details.
Yes. It's a just-for-fun competition. It's a great way to get out on the road and go to places you'd never otherwise go. I particularly like routes that keep me off the interstate and take me through small rural towns and country roads.

@bobkart pointed to the instructions for joining the game, which we now call supercharging.life. Our forum where we share our travels is at the link below. It was started as a wiki thread, so it isn't easily findable in search.

We also have Tableau maps with many interesting visualizations, which you can find at this link.

We welcome anyone who loves to travel with their Teslas.