Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla service carry no 18 inch all-season tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live over 400 km, 300 miles from the nearest service centre. So when my wheel was damaged in a slide it requires a part and wheel alignment. Due to the uneven wear, they recommend a tire be replaced. It happens that I can wait and do it somewhere else, but it’s very inconvenient to drive for 4 hours on a marginally safe tire just to be told my only choice today is 4 summer tires.

For those who haven’t been told, it’s unsafe to mix different tire types, summer/allweather/winter. So replacing one means 4, because they don’t have anything Ike my current all-seasons. Not only that, they refuse to attempt a flash order in a few hours from a distribution store. They don’t really deal with custom parts, regardless of the fact that manufacturers like Michelin sell EV rated tires including 2 types of all- seasons. I happen to be in Quebec City this time, which is probably as busy as BC centres but with more snow.

I understand most people want summer to get better efficiency, but I have more than enough range. I don’t know why anyone in any province that has snowstorms or ice 5 months a year would get summer tires, they’re unsafe. They carry 19 inch allseasons. Even if 1% of us want these, it’s a significant loss of profit from them to carry none and get no tire installation fees from us outside of winter. They’re well aware of how far many of us drive, which means we’re highly invested when we show up and unlikely to balk at necessary parts or recommended service.

In this case I’m driving home through a potentially icy mountain pass and have a snowstorm coming tomorrow, so the timing is especially bad. Some other time I might have bought the 1800$ summer tires, but I’m sure many of us have a different preference, which is probably more expensive.

Related, EV tires tend to cost more because of noise suppression tech. I couldn’t care less about that, so long as the tire isn’t damaged by the vibration. As more of us buy used and model 2s, an increasing amount of owners will not be luxury snobs. Probably louder tires would put a kid to sleep faster, and would help make sure pedestrians hear us before we’re on top of them. Cheaper durable tires for the masses!